What are the 10 must-have classical recordings?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am asking this question in the context of a classical newbie. What 10 classical recordings (actual recordings not composers) must one have? In my context, I like to see that list in digital format but of course others may want to know the analog format just the same.

Say you are a heavy classical fan and came to my house. Which recordings would you expect me to have for you to enjoy listening to my system? Or put another way, if two classical fans visited each other's homes, which classical recordings have the highest chance of being in both places?

I am asking this as part of my journey to understand classical music. I currently have maybe 20 to 40 classical albums that I have randomly bought based on what sounded good to me. And some recommendations here. But love to get the "must have" list as I suspect I am missing most if not all of them.

So please help us enter this domain of music by making recommendations that you all would agree fall in this category.

Thanks a lot in advance :).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra - Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Fritz Reiner : I heard from several people that started enjoying classic music after listening to this masterpiece.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra - Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Fritz Reiner : I heard from several people that started enjoying classic music after listening to this masterpiece.
Thanks Micro. I will make that my first purchase as it is also on the list that Mike gave.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Worth Adding when Released

BruceD

View attachment 23035

Thanks Bruce. Is this the same one already on CD? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...have-classical-recordings&p=348800#post348800

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks Bruce. Is this the same one already on CD?
]

Indeed Amirm but as good as the CD version is the LP may exceed with the sonics--hence for the LP list--but naturally agree staying on the CD listings as well

BruceD

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed Amirm but as good as the CD version is the LP may exceed with the sonics--hence for the LP list--but naturally agree staying on the CD listings as well

BruceD
Great. Funny thing is I go to order it on Amazon and it says I bought it two years ago!!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dear Amir
Do you know what type of classical music you prefer - which era or style?

View attachment 23036

or you after a broad exposure?
I wish I knew enough to answer your question :). I am still learning and don't know about the genre. But yes, I am after broad exposure to build up preference from later. So far, I tend to like smaller presentations to larger orchestral if that helps.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

Likewise. However, I should point out - most of those recordings are so-so when it comes to sound quality. Some are of interest to those who value the performance over every other respect. For example, the Beethoven piano sonata set by Schnabel was recorded in the 1930's. It is THE definitive recording to be sure, only because nobody else plays like Schnabel - but the recording itself is mono, bandwidth limited, and sounds scratchy. Given that the recording is so old and out of copyright, a number of other people have tried releasing the same set. Obviously, they can't simply copy the EMI remaster and sell it. There have been a number of other efforts to remaster it from 78's. I have only heard the Naxos remaster and the EMI, and I would go for the Naxos in preference to EMI.

I am also a little surprised that we have come down this far in the list and nobody has mentioned the following pieces, which surely should belong to any serious collector of classical music:

Beethoven Symphony No. 3

Hard to give a recommendation, because there are so many claimants to the throne. But if pushed, I would go for the Klemperer: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-Eroica-Overtures-Leonore/dp/B000063UNF

Beethoven Symphony No. 7

Mike's list has a recommendation for the Carlos Kleiber 5 & 7 on DGG. This is not a bad recording, but it does not compare to the 1982 live recording on Orfeo: http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-Ludwig-van-Beethoven/dp/B000EDWLY6

This is an electrifying performance where Kleiber almost pushes his orchestra over the edge. They somehow manage to hold it together and the finale is the most rousing rendition of the 7th you will ever hear. As an added bonus (rare in classical recordings of the period!) it's actually well recorded.

Beethoven Symphony No. 9

The greatest symphony ever, by the greatest composer who ever lived. Everyone would EXPECT you to have at least one recording. I could fill a whole book with musings on the 9th, as well as all the recordings and live performances I have ever heard, so it is extremely difficult for me to just pick one recording to recommend. You should have at least one historic recording by Furtwangler (who recorded this piece 8 times), and of these, the 1941 recording is the most famous. For a more modern recording, it really depends on your taste, your view of this piece, and how you think it should be interpreted. Most people would go for recordings by the following: Karajan 1963, Bruno Walter, Otto Klemperer, Claudio Abbado. Of these, the Abbado is easily the best recorded, so that will be my recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-MATT...1446332077&sr=1-3&keywords=abbado+beethoven+9

Bach 48 Preludes and Fugues

Another surprising omission. You guys really think that Bartok and Gorecki should be recommended in an all greatest top 10 recording and not Bach? Really? This guy wrote the foundation for all modern music, countless musicians have been influenced by him and are in awe of him. So of course Bach deserves a place on any collection. As to which[/b] Bach, that's hard to say. If I don't restrain myself i'll be recommending Bach all day long. I pondered including St Matthews Passion, surely the greatest choral work every composed - but it's not one for beginners. Then there are the crowd pleasers, like the Brandenburgs and Orchestral Suites. But I think I will go with the Bach 48. As to which recording, this one is easy - get the Angela Hewitt 2008 recording. She plays on a Fazioli piano (which has a beautiful, round tone, almost pearlescent. Great refuge for those of us who have been Steinwayed out): http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B001SB1JVY

Schubert - Die Schone Mullerin, Winterreisse, and Schwanengesang

Schubert is probably the greatest composer of songs who ever lived. Greater than Bacharach, greater than Simon and Garfunkel, or anyone else you care to name. He wrote thousands of songs, all full of charm, wit, imagination, and depth of feeling. These songs are poetry by mostly German poets, set to music - Miller, Rellstab, etc (but not Goethe). They are exquisite works of art in so many respects - you can enjoy the poetry, there's the music, there's the singing, and the piano. Nearly all of them are written for solo piano and singer. These three song cycles are considered by many to be the pinnacle of Schubert's song output, though of course there are other songs worth mentioning which are outside this collection. Many great artists have attempted these songs - Jussi Bjorling, Fritz Wunderlich, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Janet Baker, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Elly Ameling are all worth listening to if you get your hands on it. But for me, I will go for Ian Bostridge: http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Scho...1&keywords=schubert+schone+mullerin+bostridge

Mozart Piano Concertos

If you have noticed that I am sticking to works by major composers, there's a good reason for it. You asked for the 10 must-have recordings in any collection. Major composers are major composers for a good reason, and it would be remiss of me not to mention Mozart. Once again, you can make a case for including dozens of other works by Mozart, but i'm going to go for the piano concertos. Recordings by Marta Argerich, Alfred Brendel, Nelson Friere, and Mitsuko Uchida are part of the canon, but for me i'm going to go for Perahia: http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Comple...sr=1-1&keywords=mozart+piano+concerto+perahia

I could keep going on but that's it for now :)

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Dear Amir

In that case I would have a google for best recordings of each period - skipping medieval unless you like self flagellation - build 4 or 5 from each and decide what period you like to listen to. I tend to like them all except the middle and late Romantic - for some reason I skip that and head straight to Mahler and the Russians.

if you prefer Chamber work cf large orchestral, then I suggest you start there. Personally I like both, each has a place and time.

Do you prefer a format? eg CD, DSD etc

Otherwise I'll leave you in Keith's very capable hands - he knows far more about classical music than I do, has by repute a wonderful collection and being a medical man has the leisure time to enjoy it :)

@Keith - I hope you have raided the records fatgen bought off me for the pick of the classical - some of the Moravec on Connoisseur is terrific - I think they are wasted on him :)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Great. Funny thing is I go to order it on Amazon and it says I bought it two years ago!!!

Hmmm-- That's interesting--there was an original LP Pressing if rather obscure I gather at some stage--I sussed one out couple of years ago privately the seller wanted $800USD for it--Duhhh!

The Nonesuch Vinyl was due for Oct release -now Jan 016--worth the wait hopefully.

BruceD

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Likewise. However, I should point out - most of those recordings are so-so when it comes to sound quality.
I am so glad you mentioned this as sound quality is a very big deal to me. Part of the reason I have not had gotten into classical before is the lower fidelity of a lot of titles I hear at shows.

And thank you so much for the detailed list with links and such. Makes it so much easier to find them. Will be going through them one by one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing