Walking Shoes

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thinking of Amir's plantar fasciitis got me to thinking about comfortable walking shoes.

Is it pretty much Ecco and Mephisto vs everyone else :confused:

I have several pairs of each of those and they are very, very comfortable and stylish as well

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had plantar fasciitis for about 6 months a few years back. It was excrutiatingly painful for a long time, especially in the morning. I got some orthotic (?) insoles and also a pair of Mephisto slippers that I wear in the house only. It hasn't re-occurred, so I think for me it helped a great deal. I need to get a new pair of insoles this year (thankfully work pays for it).

John

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
No recommendations but it's good to see what works for others. I had P.F. on both heels some years ago. The solution for me (but not necessarily others) was to lose some weight. The P.F. is completely gone and hasn't returned.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have been wearing Ecco's for the past 18 years, however when some style is called for..........

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I custom ordered some Converse as summer driving shoes off their website. I put in a rigid arch with athletic gel pad inserts by Dr. Scholl in them.

I have driving moccasins for hot days but they are not good everyday kicking around and walking shoes.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Cole Haan makes some shoes with Nike air soles that look pretty nice. Wore Eccos through a couple of three month jobs in Africa -- that PU footbed is always comfortable.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have been wearing Ecco's for the past 18 years, however when some style is called for..........

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I custom ordered some Converse as summer driving shoes off their website. I put in a rigid arch with athletic gel pad inserts by Dr. Scholl in them.

I have driving moccasins for hot days but they are not good everyday kicking around and walking shoes.

Those are kick*ass, George! I can't see myself sporting those on this 56-yr old body though! I'd think I would look rather goofy!. LOL!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I got a pair of Geox shoes, they saved my HK trip.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I've used a pair of Sketchers for the past year during my walks and I believe they have helped my posture. They take a little getting used to because of the unusual curved bottom.http://www.skechers.com/info/fitness-walk-mens

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thinking of Amir's plantar fasciitis got me to thinking about comfortable walking shoes.

Is it pretty much Ecco and Mephisto vs everyone else :confused:

I have several pairs of each of those and they are very, very comfortable and stylish as well

Both are comfortable...be very, very wary of Ecco hiking boots. For years, they had sourced very poor quality rubber soles (which on the newer models you will have seen are completely changed)...and they fell apart. I went to AFrica hiking...and literally ripped the entire soles off both boots in 7 days. I then heard enormous numbers of complaints on the web about this exact same problem. They were the most comfortable boots...and i bought a 2nd pair (with the new rubber). Just be careful.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My favorite walking shoes have always been running shoes, and I prefer New Balance. I'm sure there must be something wrong with that, but it works for me.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Unless one's definition of running is sprints, I don't see why there should be anything wrong with that! ;) I have narrow feet so NB doesn't work as well for me. I prefer Adidas but Mizuno is my favorite. The only thing about running shoes when traveling is that one doesn't always get a chance to change and dress codes in some places do not allow athletic shoes.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I've found that using a quality non-custom insole has made a difference in all my shoes. I use Superfeet in my running shoes and comfort casual/dress shoes. For me, arch support is key and I have average arches. My impression is that the soft insole of most shoes, despite their shaped arch support, provide no actual support due to flexing or compression. As for comfortable walking shoes, mephistos are nice but I find their leather uppers to be below par for the price (they discolor or wear too easily). I am a fan of Prada shoes with the red stripe and rubber bottoms, Gucci sneakers and Heschung shoes. As far as best shoes I've worn - John Lobb.

I also like Asics for running shoes, especially since they offer a nice selection of shoes in 2E width.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
They are ugly, but I swear by my MBT's: http://us.mbt.com/Home/Benefits.aspx

Sometimes, when I have a backache, I'll put them on and walk around the block a couple of times. They are what I'll usually wear at shows when I'm on my feet a lot of the time. But they are terrible on stairs.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Both are comfortable...be very, very wary of Ecco hiking boots. For years, they had sourced very poor quality rubber soles (which on the newer models you will have seen are completely changed)...and they fell apart. I went to AFrica hiking...and literally ripped the entire soles off both boots in 7 days. I then heard enormous numbers of complaints on the web about this exact same problem. They were the most comfortable boots...and i bought a 2nd pair (with the new rubber). Just be careful.
I had soles on 2 pairs of Eccos completely disintegrate and threw them away. Ecco apparently has a policy whereby one can send the shoes to Ecco and for $45.00 have the shoes resoled. I wish I had known that before I tossed them.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
My favorite walking shoes have always been running shoes, and I prefer New Balance. I'm sure there must be something wrong with that, but it works for me.
Tim
New Balance 1012 is an excellent shoe for those with plantar fasciitis. Ditto for Brooks Addiction 9. Ecco? Not even close and I state that as one who currently owns more than a half-dozen pair.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've found that using a quality non-custom insole has made a difference in all my shoes. I use Superfeet in my running shoes and comfort casual/dress shoes. For me, arch support is key and I have average arches. My impression is that the soft insole of most shoes, despite their shaped arch support, provide no actual support due to flexing or compression. As for comfortable walking shoes, mephistos are nice but I find their leather uppers to be below par for the price (they discolor or wear too easily). I am a fan of Prada shoes with the red stripe and rubber bottoms, Gucci sneakers and Heschung shoes. As far as best shoes I've worn - John Lobb.

I also like Asics for running shoes, especially since they offer a nice selection of shoes in 2E width.

I also like Asics for running shoes and own about 4 pair. The New Balance 1012 and Brooks Addiction 9 are superior for arch support and stability.

I tried and still own Superfeet as well as more than a dozen non-custom inserts and two custom inserts. When it comes to inserts, there is no one-size-fits-all (no pun intended). Superfeet didn't cut it for me. Currently I'm using some non-custom inserts I found at a medical supply store.

BTW, The Walking Company has its own brand of shoes, Abeo, which for each size has 3 different shoes, i.e., 3 different arches depending upon whether one is flat footed, high arched or in between. Highly recommended. Way more comfortable that Ecco although currently they do not have very many styles from which to chose.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am a Cole Haan and Keen kind of guy, although I will venture out for Timberland, Merrill, Ecco, or Sperry Topsiders once in awhile. I'm generally looking to go sockless most of the year unless hiking or attending a funeral. Had some Clarke's for awhile -- they were okay -- not an eager rebuy for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing