Anyone have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers? I Searched...

ChrisSoundLab

Apr 17, 2024
Japan
I should have written the 'mid-frequency control was set at 0' or flat. Brilliance and low frequency control have no change.

WillBthr

Jan 18, 2024
S. California
Do you know if there is a way for users to modify their Backplates (with adjustable mids) to this new version? I have never used the mid adjustments over 28 years. I have the latest version prior to this new version.

ChrisSoundLab

Apr 17, 2024
Japan
Let me get back to you on that. Should be possible, but I have not been asked that before and I will give a confirmation shortly.

ChrisSoundLab

Apr 17, 2024
Japan
I checked with Roger and I'll paraphrase his response. As usual he always gives a very complete and detailed explanation and I am happy to share that with you but this is probably not the place to do so. If you wish to have more information, please contact me thru my website 'contact'.
In essence Roger does not recommend spending the time/money to change unless you normally play your speakers at very high levels (which is not recommended as you can imagine). The performance difference between metal core and air core is that at high current levels the metal core will saturate and lose inductance, mids frequencies will suffer and have distortion - but only at high levels. Air coil does not saturate. These days many new amplifiers are pushing out much more power and it is easy to push the speaker to limits and even beyond, the air coil prevents any distortion to the mid frequencies, but it is also not a good reason to continuously push the speaker past its intended power rating - the original metal core coil will not saturate if played within the speakers max power rating. You might say this is not so much of an 'upgrade' but a move 'side-ways'. Please let me know if I can be any more help and/or explain further.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing