The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For lack of other movies found On Demand yesterday my wife and I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009) in Danish with English subtitles. A long movie at 152 minutes but definitely worth the time. I missed this one when it was in theaters

In summary......

A journalist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years by a young female hacker.

This female hacker BTW is played by Noomi Rapace who by some accounts is said to be a "stone fox" whereas an ordinary woman by others.I'll let you be the judge of that one. Even with English subtitles the movie was suspenseful, intriguing and full of sadistic violence but once (if) you get past this the movie is well worth the $4.99 I spent on the HD On Demand Rental

Here is a short trailer

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2735866905/[/video]

Definitely a thumbs up recommendation

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
For lack of other movies found On Demand yesterday my wife and I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009) in Danish with English subtitles. A long movie at 152 minutes but definitely worth the time. I missed this one when it was in theaters

In summary......

A journalist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years by a young female hacker.

This female hacker BTW is played by Noomi Rapace who by some accounts is said to be a "stone fox" whereas an ordinary woman by others.I'll let you be the judge of that one. Even with English subtitles the movie was suspenseful, intriguing and full of sadistic violence but once (if) you get past this the movie is well worth the $4.99 is spent on the HD On Demand Rental

Here is a short trailer

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2735866905/[/video]

Definitely a thumbs up recommendation

I agree. Great flick that kept you guessing. Wasn't there a more recent movie based on the second book in the trilogy -- or is it forthcoming.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
This is part of a three-book trilogy by Steig Larrsson (RIP). These first two, which have been released on Blu-ray, finish off with The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. The third installment comes out on Blu-ray in January. My wife read all three books and feels that these are very good conversions to film of the story. As always, the level of detail in many sections must be reduced for running time, but the overall gritty feel of the novels was retained. We've watched the first two parts here, and the movies are involving and interesting. Not for watching when the kids are around, though.

Noomi is in pretty good shape, Steve!

Lee

Midgard Audio

Nov 29, 2010
I must say I totally agree with you guys. However, I do not think the movie is in Danish, it is originally in Swedish and dubbing from Swedish to Danish is pretty uncommon.

Interesting title translations as usual. Both the books, the TV-series and the movies original titles are:
"Men who hates women"
"The girl who played with the fire"
"The ""air castle"" that got blown up" (air castle is a way of speaking in Scandinavian languages describing fictional value).

Stig Larson also got started writing a fourth book in this series before he died. His familly has decided not to publish it.

The third and last published book as the series just started a week ago in Norway. I read the books before I saw the films and the series, and I must agree with Lee's wife that these movies are extremely close to the books.

PS: Don't forget to see them in the right order. There could be some spoilers, but more importantly, something could be difficult to understand. I have no idea how easy it is to get the grip on all the important details without having read the books first.

Great novels!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I saw the trailer, I thought that it's my type of movie. Just finished it now, and it doesn't disappoint. I have to make sure my kids were not around while those 18+ scenes come in, but overall, a very rich plot with great suspense. Good thing I spotted one with English translation so I did not have to read the subtitles. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a weirdo Phil. I actually prefer to hear the native language and read the subtitles. I think its an after effect of having to watch poorly dubbed cartoons/animes as a child ;) ;) ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a weirdo Phil. I actually prefer to hear the native language and read the subtitles. I think its an after effect of having to watch poorly dubbed cartoons/animes as a child ;) ;) ;)

LOL Jack. I think I've had it up to my throat after watching so many Chinese Shaolin movies in high school where I was forced to read the English subtitles as the Mandarin talk was too fast, as fast as their fighting. LOL. At any rate, I realized that by reading the subtitles, I missed out on a lot of the fight scenes. LOL So, a reversal is greatly appreciated these days. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I understand mastah Phil! ;) ;) ;) <---lips still moving

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's he like when talking to others?

he's just kidding when he said that he prefers subtitles on foreign films while i did not. i'd say he's a very fun loving guy and far from a weirdo in the years that i've known him, even to others. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
he's just kidding when he said that he prefers subtitles on foreign films while i did not. i'd say he's a very fun loving guy and far from a weirdo in the years that i've known him, even to others. :)

Unfortunately I have been known to sink into weirdo territory when I drink too much. A very very rare thing now that I'm middle aged. I do horse around quite a bit, not obnoxious in any way mind you. I'm just a happy guy :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Unfortunately I have been known to sink into weirdo territory when I drink too much. A very very rare thing now that I'm middle aged. I do horse around quite a bit, not obnoxious in any way mind you. I'm just a happy guy :)

I can attest to that. The happy guy part anyway

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Found this trailer for 2nd part of this man/woman sleuth tandem: (with English subtitles) :)

I'll be watching it very soon too. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing