Streamer to kill the big boys for under $250

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
IMHO it is not a question of turnkey system. For the CAPS and Windows2012/Audiophile optimizer I have excellent recipes and existing manuals to follow - from this thread I only get future hypothesis and hints! Interesting to read, but not enough to build anything with assurance.
Having built a CAP-like server, what Mike has described is far easier to do. There is almost not much to it and hence its simplicity. Ask him questions if it is not clear. The hardware is turnkey and he is proving the full software to run on it.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I think I'm going to have to build these with the OS installed on internal SD card and ship without even the step of having to put the USB stick in. This may reduce confusion. But I will have to charge $400 a piece for these. But 1 less step, and no stick hanging out of it.

Then you would need working capital. DIY and full blown businesses are 2 different things. The gap is not so easy to bridge…especially in Canada that is less business friendly than the US. Just look at Canada post costs.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The thin client I get. What I need is the system requirements and setup procedure for the server running HQplayer. I have the resources to build whatever is needed, the PC build knowledge and Windows OS experience up to version 10. I have subtly in several posts asked, "Tell me how" I will build it and try it just for "shits and giggles"

NC,

According to Blizz, you just need a stock (but powerful snuff to not choke on DSD256 up conversion) PC server feeding the NAA and it will sound as good as a bespoke server.

This is a wild claim, as I know for a fact that the Sound Galeries Server is coming out and will be da bomb. Just got an update tonight.

However, I can buy the premise that the Blizz setup will beat an Aries and even an Aurender....just not a Win12 AO bespoke server with optimized bespoke POWER supply and these bespoke unobtanium clocks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Having built a CAP-like server, what Mike has described is far easier to do. There is almost not much to it and hence its simplicity. Ask him questions if it is not clear. The hardware is turnkey and he is proving the full software to run on it.

From what I could read in post #1 nothing is available except hardware in this moment : "But that will soon be a thing of the past", "if interest is shown, I can talk with". Or did I misunderstand it?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
BLIZZ, what did I tell you?

Its for you to SELL your idea…not ram it down throats, not skip steps obvious to you,,,but to hold hands and give guidance in a methodical manner. DUMB it down if needs be.

You convince people with emotions, not Vulcan logic. In this case, compassion/understanding and temperance are your friends.

Your idea may have merit and the investment is not outrageous, so encourage people to go on this adventure…don't argue..cajole.

I WILL GO ALONG WITH THIS AS A TEST, GIVEN THAT I "KNOW' YOU FOR A WHILE FROM CA.

I'm not looking for the salesmen of the year award here. I've offered a way for people to get most likely the best sound they have ever heard from their system for $230. I think I laid out the facts clearly. That's all I can do. If it doesn't work for you, go find a smooth talking salesmen to sell you a several thousand $ commercial streamer that sounds worse.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Is the storage based in the server? Why not just build a silent PC and stick it in my audio rack and pull from it? I am in need of education guys.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The thin client I get. What I need is the system requirements and setup procedure for the server running HQplayer. I have the resources to build whatever is needed, the PC build knowledge and Windows OS experience up to version 10. I have subtly in several posts asked, "Tell me how" I will build it and try it just for "shits and giggles"

You don't need a special computer to use for the server. Just a cheap HP or something from Best Buy for $600. You will have no sonic benefit from using a $7000 uber tweaked audiophile server. This is part of the beauty of this system.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
From what I could read in post #1 nothing is available except hardware in this moment : "But that will soon be a thing of the past", "if interest is shown, I can talk with". Or did I misunderstand it?

He did speak with the italian guy and got permission to sell his customized version of the AudioLinux. What you buy is the fruits if his testing hardware with the tweaked software. He only earns on the difference between what the Italian sells the basic Audiolinux for and the $75 download price…so $40 or so.

Roon integration to come is a possible future upgrade.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

You Can use it with HQplayer now. The Roon/HQplayer isn't ready yet. But very soon.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'm not looking for the salesmen of the year award here. I've offered a way for people to get most likely the best sound they have ever heard from their system for $230. I think I laid out the facts clearly. That's all I can do. If it doesn't work for you, go find a smooth talking salesmen to sell you a several thousand $ commercial streamer that sounds worse.

Just what are you looking for then? Why not give yourself the best chance to succeed? WHY NOT?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
He did speak with the italian guy and got permission to sell his customized version of the AudioLinux. What you buy is the fruits if his testing hardware with the tweaked software. He only earns on the difference between what the Italian sells the basic Audiolinux for and the $75 download price…so $40 or so.

Roon integration to come is a possible future upgrade.

Not possible upgrade. It's about 90% complete as shown in the screenshot I posted earlier.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You Can use it with HQplayer now. The Roon/HQplayer isn't ready yet. But very soon.

Here again you keep skipping steps. Slow down. I get it, but you have to cast a wide net to bring everybody along. Its just a tiny bit of extra effort.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Where can I download the needed software for the turn key USB sticks? BTW, does it support the Alpha Berkeley USB?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
NC, if you are p for it, I will try out this solution and can compare notes with you. I am not the most ideal candidate as I only have an old i3 Laptop and otherwise am running Mac. i7 Mac mini. I have general HQP and JRiver icences, so set there as well.

Linux is very good, as Blizz says,,,Luaksz confirmed that to me.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Where can I download the needed software for the turn key USB sticks? BTW, does it support the Alpha Berkeley USB?

Blizz sells that to you.It is a tweaked turnkey Linux OS. I don't see why the Dac matters…except if it supports the Max DSD256 in Linux...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I don't see why the Dac matters…except of it supports the Max DSD256 in Linux...

Are you saying that we can connect a Devialet USB port to this streamer, bypassing the Devialet Air?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Are you saying that we can connect a Devialet USB port to this streamer, bypassing the Devialet Air?
Devialet is more than just a Dac and may have unusual restrictions…I just don't know…but I don't see why not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing