DSD to PCM Conversion A/B Test Results

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
On my Sadie 5 DSD8 DAW, all crossfades, level controls, EQ’s, and dynamic processes are performed real time at DSD rate (2.8224 MHz) without conversion of the audio to PCM.
Thank you for the info, I'll check out their website for more info. Any other websites you can recommend to me, so I can learn more?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Thank you for the info, I'll check out their website for more info. Any other websites you can recommend to me, so I can learn more?

The exceptional Sadie 5 and Sonoma DSD, and the great sounding but unreliable Genex, workstations are no longer available as current products. Pyramix is the only DAW with dedicated DSD features found today and it is a Merging product. There maybe another smaller player DAW software tool that implements DSD-wide but their name escapes me at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The exceptional Sadie 5 and Sonoma DSD, and the great sounding but unreliable Genex, workstations are no longer available as current products. Pyramix is the only DAW with dedicated DSD features found today and it is a Merging product. There maybe another smaller player DAW software tool that implements DSD-wide but their name escapes me at this time.
Thanks a lot. Learning every day :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I've been using Pyramix for about 15yr. now. I thought Korg came out with an editor at one point. Also, didn't Playback Designs have an editor as well?

Reactions: Carlos269

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've been using Pyramix for about 15yr. now. I thought Korg came out with an editor at one point. Also, didn't Playback Designs have an editor as well?

I believe we got AudioGate when we bought the Korg.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: Carlos269

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've got this, but didn't they also produce an "editor" at some point?
I believe it has some limited editing capabilities but certainly not at Sadie level.

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
I think I see what you are getting at...Almost all available DXD recordings are Merging Horus/Hapi interfaces, or DAD AX32/MTRX. They are delta sigma chips, AKM I believe. I don't personally think DS disqualifies a converter, even MSB's own ADC is DS. There are no R2R ADCs that go above 20 bit performance currently, and it is a hard stop where they can only make resisters up to 20 bit and add 4 bits of digital padding.

The dynamic range in the past was around 125db-ish for Merging cards, which in performance equivalence is 21 bit. The new cards are pretty close to 24 bit performance, at 136db. These cards do indeed create an actual 24 bit digital signal, but performance on the analog side is not quite there.

Again, I don't equate analog noise floor with digital bit depth.
Yes the last ADC (MSB Studio ADC) I designed was Delta Sigma, but definitely not DSD by any stretch. It used 4 seventh order differential delta sigma modulators per channel @ 6 bits 6.144Mhz per modulator with correlated digitally generrated analog dither added to the ADC references to linearize the modulators which was then digitally subtracted from the digital data stream to reduce the idle tones and linearity errors of the high order delta sigma modulators. This was then processed in 5 DSPs to linearize the output and remove the out of band Delta Sigma Modulators noise. So Delta Sigma YES but definitely not DSD. Basically 8 bit equivalent Delta Sigma data (not single bit DSD) processed to generate 24bit Digital PCM up to 384kHz. DSD output would have been pointless because it simply didn't have enough resolution .

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes the last ADC (MSB Studio ADC) I designed was Delta Sigma, but definitely not DSD by any stretch. It used 4 seventh order differential delta sigma modulators per channel @ 6 bits 6.144Mhz per modulator with correlated digitally generrated analog dither added to the ADC references to linearize the modulators which was then digitally subtracted from the digital data stream to reduce the idle tones and linearity errors of the high order delta sigma modulators. This was then processed in 5 DSPs to linearize the output and remove the out of band Delta Sigma Modulators noise. So Delta Sigma YES but definitely not DSD. Basically 8 bit equivalent Delta Sigma data (not single bit DSD) processed to generate 24bit Digital PCM up to 384kHz. DSD output would have been pointless because it simply didn't have enough resolution .
That is some next-level engineering! Summing all of the channels and other circuits in the device, how many DSP's are you using?

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
That is some next-level engineering! Summing all of the channels and other circuits in the device, how many DSP's are you using?
Like I said it was 5 400Mhz SHARC DSPs. Its quite an old product over 10 years old at this point so these were state of the art at that time.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Like I said it was 5 400Mhz SHARC DSPs. Its quite an old product over 10 years old at this point so these were state of the art at that time.
A friend of mine keeps talking about acquiring one that isn't spoken for. As far ADC there still isn't anything better, at least for PCM. It's not as well known as Pacific Microsonics Model 2, but should be held in at least as high regard.

What is interesting though, is that the design increases harmonic distortion at high input levels, and the most well known user, Ted Jensen, runs his well into the red, presumably for that coloration.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Even a 10-year-old SHARC packs a punch! I think how much different the DSP processors are from the normal x86 processors. Can you substitute those SHARCs with an FPGA or an x86 processor? Is it possible, but not viable?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes the last ADC (MSB Studio ADC) I designed was Delta Sigma, but definitely not DSD by any stretch

I used to have a MSB stack... was quite good!

Attachments

• MSB2.jpg
    MSB2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
  • MSB.jpg
    MSB.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing