Streamer to kill the big boys for under $250

Hi Guys,

There's a new streamer that has recently hit the market that uses a similar SBC and Linux installation. It's the only one I know of that has HQplayer NAA support. There's a fancy screen on the front, but isn't required for anything if used as aòn NAA. Likely only adds to the noise footprint. But it is another option that should offer the same functionality and sound. Price is only $1999:

http://www.exasound.com/PP/Overview.aspx

There is/will be streamer support NAA: SOTM SMS-100/uRendu. It is also plug and play.

Yes, but the SoTM sms-100 costs $500.

Yes the now discontinued SoTM sms-100 did. But that is still double the cost of this system. And the u rendu doesn't exist yet, but I can imagine it will cost more than $235

I have a GG and iDSD, so yeah I am a good guinea pig.

HQP on the Mac can output dsds256 to the NAA? I was not aware of that. If so what can't it output straight to the Dac in 256? Or is the NAA taking a 128 stream and up sampling to 256 and then feeding the Dac?

It's based on what the NAA can do, not the server OS. It can output DSD 1028 to the NAA if the DAC was DSD 1028 compatible.

I just placed an order to Amazon for those hardware. Wisnon, I know it is not new idea, but I am really poor in computing if relates to my CAPS2.0 experience, so this is a good start for me to try on HQplayer. I also have got one Raspberry PI 2 board which I don't know how to turn it to NAA.

Auralic is working on incorporating Roon into the Vega and I hear several other makers have submitted hardware.

Sorry. It doesn't make any difference to Blizzard suggestion. Maybe a diagram is easier to understand the flow:

Roon Server -> HQPlayer -> NAA -> DAC

Roon Server and HQPlayer can be in the same computer or two different computers. So the total cost is the sum of server cost and NAA which is a bit more than $250.

Aires incorporate Roon is to become Roon endpoint. And Blizzard solution has nothing to do with Roon endpoint.

Yes, but the SoTM sms-100 costs $500.

uRendu is worth the money and the wait. It has purpose built board and noise reduction. The OS can support a lot server like Upnp, LMS, AirPlay and Roon beside NAA.

Sorry. It doesn't make any difference to Blizzard suggestion. Maybe a diagram is easier to understand the flow:

Roon Server -> HQPlayer -> NAA -> DAC

Roon Server and HQPlayer can be in the same computer or two different computers. So the total cost is the sum of server cost and NAA which is a bit more than $250.

Aires incorporate Roon is to become Roon endpoint. And Blizzard solution has nothing to do with Roon endpoint.

I could make it a Roon endpoint, but why, the point here is to get the best sound and when the Roon/HQplayer integration is complete, you will output to an NAA, not Roon device, if going through the HQplayer engine.

uRendu is worth the money and the wait. It has purpose built board and noise reduction. The OS can support a lot server like Upnp, LMS, AirPlay and Roon beside NAA.

It sounds like it will be good. But we don't know yet. And we have no idea of the cost, or when it will be ready. I could make this compatible with all the same in about 15 minutes. But why? I can see Airplay being useful, but If you are using Roon/HQplayer or HQplayer, why would you care about Upnp or LMS?

I just placed an order to Amazon for those hardware. Wisnon, I know it is not new idea, but I am really poor in computing if relates to my CAPS2.0 experience, so this is a good start for me to try on HQplayer. I also have got one Raspberry PI 2 board which I don't know how to turn it to NAA.

Configuring Linux to work as an NAA is a nightmare on most hardware. And Jussi doesn't offer support. He figures if you're not smart enough to do it on your own, it's not for you.

It sounds like it will be good. But we don't know yet. And we have no idea of the cost, or when it will be ready. I could make this compatible with all the same in about 15 minutes. But why? I can see Airplay being useful, but If you are using Roon/HQplayer or HQplayer, why would you care about Upnp or LMS?

I am just saying your solution is not the only solution. There are products providing the same solution for different costs. What uRendu attracts me is the purpose built board and their friendly OS. Furthermore, it has much smaller form factor than your solution. It is about the size of USB Regen.

There is no guarantee that your NAA hardware will not produce noise and pollute DAC through USB.

Configuring Linux to work as an NAA is a nightmare on most hardware. And Jussi doesn't offer support. He figures if you're not smart enough to do it on your own, it's not for you.

Yup, I can humbly accept that, that is why I am called lateboomer. As long as I am willing to learn and not binge watching too much US tv dramas.

I am just saying your solution is not the only solution. There are products providing the same solution for different costs. What uRendu attracts me is the purpose built board and their friendly OS. Furthermore, it has much smaller form factor than your solution. It is about the size of USB Regen.

There is no guarantee that your NAA hardware will not produce noise and pollute DAC through USB.

What I like about my solution is I have one in front of me right now.It works flawless and it sounds great. I have confirmed that it sounds better than my Mac mini, macbook pro, Macbook air (on both OSX and Windows 10 bootcamp) HP I7 tower, and Broadwell I3 NUC.

How much smoother does it need to run than :

Step 1: press power button
Step 2: Wait 10 seconds and ready
Step 3: To shut down press power button and wait 3 seconds.

And best of all the total solution costs $235.

Last edited:
Yup, I can humbly accept that, that is why I am called lateboomer. As long as I am willing to learn and not binge watching too much US tv dramas.

I tried for days as well with Debian Jessie and Stretch. couldn't get it to work. But I had help with Audiolinux which is why I got it going. But still took 44 emails of a couple days to where it's at now. I was pulling my hair out.

So I have 4 USB interfaces here to test this on tonight. 1 is the XMOS based DIYINHK unit that's used in the Lampi Amber. Other is the Amanero used in all the other Lampi's, another is the M2tech unit used in many DAC's a few years back, and other is a newer Xmos chip. I've also tested it on my old Resonessence Mirus as well and it worked. So I think this testing should confirm plug and play compatibly with most of what's out there.

image.jpg

It's based on what the NAA can do, not the server OS. It can output DSD 1028 to the NAA if the DAC was DSD 1028 compatible.

Yes, but what is the maximum a mac server can output to the Linux Streamer?

yes, but what is the maximum a mac server can output to the linux streamer?

DSD1028. Or 16x, 49.152 MHz. The new XMOS Xcore-200 chips can handle up to 16x DSD with the right firmware. Not sure if it will sound better. That's a lot of bandwidth.

Last edited:
Yes, but what is the maximum a mac server can output to the Linux Streamer?

It is only limited by the DAC attached to NAA and the USB driver of NAA. There is no audio driver needed to transfer from Mac server to NAA. To Mac server, it is just transferring some data file down the Ethernet to NAA.

It is only limited by the DAC attached to NAA and the USB driver of NAA. There is no audio driver needed to transfer from Mac server to NAA. To Mac server, it is just transferring some data file down the Ethernet to NAA.

Great, that is the answer I needed, so the NAA is the "driver/limiting factor here". Amanero can take DSD256 from Linux in DoP and will likely have a firmware update soon to handle "native" 256.

ThanksBlizz and adyc.

Great, that is the answer I needed, so the NAA is the "driver/limiting factor here". Amanero can take DSD256 from Linux in DoP and will likely have a firmware update soon to handle "native" 256.

ThanksBlizz and adyc.

DoP maxes out at 128. So you'll have to wait for that update for 256.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing