Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The pics above must be the integrated, not the GS150, as the 150 has two matched pair per channel sharing topology of Ref110/Ref150.

caesar

May 30, 2010
We all have had different experiences with audio and live music that have shaped us. Our brains have pattern recognition and familiarity areas activated when it comes to appreciating gear. Guys trying to convince other guys to try something new, whether it's room treatments when they have never had them, digital / vinyl, room correction, odd tweaks, etc., is risky business. It's kind of like a waitress trying to convince a guy who has been craving an aged, rare steak to go for some plain baked potatoes.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Getting back to topic, Priaptor, can you please compare your previous Arc (150? 250?) vs. Arc 75 vs. this new product sounds with the Nolas? Thanks

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I bet they sound great a ref 75 was also one i thought about , a guy i spoke to wanted to make trade in deal regarding the zanden , the most stunning feature i find is the appereance of the galileo , they seem to have moved away from the classic arc look into something more modern
If we look at the ARC Galileo pictures available at the MonoandStereo site http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/05/audio-research-galileo-line-new.html the GS 150 looks like a REF150 (two pairs of power tubes per channel) with VU meters. Most probably the design was optimized for the KT150's, the REF150 was designed with the KT120's. Although the site refers to the D79 design inspiration when I saw it from the back I thought about McInstosh ...

Last edited:

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I think this thread was started to talk about how great this new amp is. Why are the posts about the room, room measurements and the expertise of the dealer who sells this amp? Has anyone else heard this amp in a different setting and would he be willing to share his opinion about how it sounds?

I heard it at Sunny's audio and Video in Covina California. It was being played with their new retro preamp and the G series amp you mentioned. The source was the Cd-9 and Wilson Alexia speakers. I found it to have a nice sound but far from amazing like Elliot says. Maybe it's all about the room. The sales manager from Audio Research was there and he felt the G-150 sounded better than the ref-250's. It was a meeting for the L.A county and Orange County audiophile society. You can read more about it on there website. It took place a couple of weeks ago.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I heard it at Sunny's audio and Video in Covina California. It was being played with their new retro preamp and the G series amp you mentioned. The source was the Cd-9 and Wilson Alexia speakers. I found it to have a nice sound but far from amazing like Elliot says. Maybe it's all about the room. The sales manager from Audio Research was there and he felt the G-150 sounded better than the ref-250's. It was a meeting for the L.A county and Orange County audiophile society. You can read more about it on there website. It took place a couple of weeks ago.

So last night I went to the one of the best steakhouses in Miami Prime 112 and decided that I was going to go to Walmart and buy a piece of meat.
I dont have the knowledge, the kitchen appliances, dont know how to cook, never seasoned a piece of meat but I thought I could throw the slab of beef on a fire and it would be the same or better!

I did a listening session with one that's right Taters one variable in a system i know, since i set it up, in a room I know, because i set the system up, on a system that is a whole lot better than anything in a dealer showroom ( no offense Sunny)
and we , yes we heard something special.
You did a drive buy with a whole shitload of stuff you dont know and make a dismissive comment.
I guess that says it all .
This truly is waste of time.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So last night I went to the one of the best steakhouses in Miami Prime 112 and decided that I was going to go to Walmart and buy a piece of meat.
I dont have the knowledge, the kitchen appliances, dont know how to cook, never seasoned a piece of meat but I thought I could throw the slab of beef on a fire and it would be the same or better!

I did a listening session with one that's right Taters one variable in a system i know, since i set it up, in a room I know, because i set the system up, on a system that is a whole lot better than anything in a dealer showroom ( no offense Sunny)
and we , yes we heard something special.
You did a drive buy with a whole shitload of stuff you dont know and make a dismissive comment.
I guess that says it all .
This truly is waste of time.

Funny, but with all due respect, how do you know that Tater was not familiar with the system or even the room? This seems to have been a demo for the LA County and Orange County Audiophile Society. With the Audio Research sales manager in attendance and such a potential and captive customer group present, one would hope that the system was properly set up and that it was more than a "drive by" demonstration. He did think it sounded nice.

Why do you think that this thread or the dealer demo a waste of time?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Funny, but with all due respect, how do you know that Tater was not familiar with the system or even the room? This seems to have been a demo for the LA County and Orange County Audiophile Society. With the Audio Research sales manager in attendance and such a potential and captive customer group present, one would hope that the system was properly set up and that it was more than a "drive by" demonstration. He did think it sounded nice.

Your post and Tater's are ABSURD to say the least. Let's see. Taters is saying "nice sound but far from amazing like Elliot says" and YOU are seconding Taters absurd conclusions? You and Tater"s are kidding; I hope as there can't possibly be two like you. I don't remember Elliot saying he heard "amazing sound" from a CD-9 --->GSPre---->GS150---->Alexias, now did he?

Where does one begin. HMMMM, on second thought, not worth it as if you can't even see the absurdity of your logic, it becomes just another waste of time.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

The reason is simple. I want to be respectful here as well however I have said many times that great sound, truly great sound is not possible in a dealers showroom or at a show. I have been a dealer for over 40 years and the rooms are almost always in a state of change. I am NOT saying this is totally impossible at some dealers showroom somewhere but in my experience at many shops it just isn't a viable way to do business.
I know this is sad but its true.
A great system, a truly great one requires a lot of work and time to get it dialed in perfectly. Ask around and you will see that.
Now the topic at hand. What I discussed was the substitution of one amp for another and the result in a great system, perfectly set up and dialed in over a period of over a year!
The gear being used is all broken in and optimized for the system and the room.
The problem with the internet is that expertise is marginalized by opinion without facts !!!!!!
I always want to learn and hear from those who have done something interesting but the quoting of show demos or dealer demos is not the best possible solution.
I have over 40 years experience and these are things I have learned. I know others that can do amazing system designs and set up. This is very rarely a hobbyist with limited experience and time.
in this regard it no difference from the best, chef, race car driver, artist etc.
I have no doubt that the dealer in question and the manufacturer did the best they could in the time they had but trust me it is not what we are discussing.
My mentor, HP, had systems set up and constantly being worked on to get them in a constant state of excellence.
Ask others who know and you will get the same answers. New gear hastily set up can NEVER be what can be done over time and with care.
My reasons Sir

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Your post and Tater's are ABSURD to say the least. Let's see. Taters is saying "nice sound but far from amazing like Elliot says" and YOU are seconding Taters absurd conclusions? You and Tater"s are kidding; I hope as there can't possibly be two like you. I don't remember Elliot saying he heard "amazing sound" from a CD-9 --->GSPre---->GS150---->Alexias, now did he?

Where does one begin. HMMMM, on second thought, not worth it as if you can't even see the absurdity of your logic, it becomes just another waste of time.

I am not "seconding" Tater's opinion. I was not there, I've never heard the amp, nor did I say anything about the sound of the amp. I simply questioned how Elliot is so sure about Tater's experience with the system and room at that dealership. I had asked further up the thread if anyone else has heard this amplifier in a different setting. Taters responded, in what I presume is an honest way, with his post. Does that offend anyone?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The reason is simple. I want to be respectful here as well however I have said many times that great sound, truly great sound is not possible in a dealers showroom or at a show. I have been a dealer for over 40 years and the rooms are almost always in a state of change. I am NOT saying this is totally impossible at some dealers showroom somewhere but in my experience at many shops it just isn't a viable way to do business.
I know this is sad but its true.
A great system, a truly great one requires a lot of work and time to get it dialed in perfectly. Ask around and you will see that.
Now the topic at hand. What I discussed was the substitution of one amp for another and the result in a great system, perfectly set up and dialed in over a period of over a year!
The gear being used is all broken in and optimized for the system and the room.
The problem with the internet is that expertise is marginalized by opinion without facts !!!!!!
I always want to learn and hear from those who have done something interesting but the quoting of show demos or dealer demos is not the best possible solution.
I have over 40 years experience and these are things I have learned. I know others that can do amazing system designs and set up. This is very rarely a hobbyist with limited experience and time.
in this regard it no difference from the best, chef, race car driver, artist etc.
I have no doubt that the dealer in question and the manufacturer did the best they could in the time they had but trust me it is not what we are discussing.
My mentor, HP, had systems set up and constantly being worked on to get them in a constant state of excellence.
Ask others who know and you will get the same answers. New gear hastily set up can NEVER be what can be done over time and with care.
My reasons Sir

Thanks Elliot. This thread which you had started was getting off topic. So at some point up the thread I simply asked if anyone else had heard this amp in a different setting and if he was willing to share his opinion. Taters, and presumably his fellow members of those audio societies, did here this amp in a different setting from the one you created and discussed, and I think there is some value to that in a public forum.

Do you think his opinion, or for that matter, anyone's opinion about sound in a typical dealer demo, should be summarily dismissed because it does not involve the best possible setting and system to audition a particular component?

I appreciate reading a second opinion about this amp, even if it was not heard in the best of all possible settings.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I am not "seconding" Tater's opinion. I was not there, I've never heard the amp, nor did I say anything about the sound of the amp. I simply questioned how Elliot is so sure about Tater's experience with the system and room at that dealership. I had asked further up the thread if anyone else has heard this amplifier in a different setting. Taters responded, in what I presume is an honest way, with his post. Does that offend anyone?

You still don't get it, do you. Elliot's "amazing" adjective was used in a setting of changing ONE PIECE OF GEAR, where that one piece of gear is the GS150.

Taters is making an absurd assumption and you are seconding his criticism of Elliot's "amazing" comment.

I will try again, Elliot never said a CD9 into a GSPre into a GS150 into a pair of Alexias was amazing. You and Taters obviously have some self-serving reason to morph what Elliot said into something else. Maybe it is system envy, intelligence envy or just plain failure to understand the language.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Wow headache time from reading this collection of meandering prattle. I have no doubt this amp sounds good and well it should for 20 grand but one thing I can unabashedly say..that is one butt ugly piece of gear. Not a fan of the new ARC aesthetic. I know, I know...it's all about the music...blah blah blah... :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

I will try again, Elliot never said a CD9 into a GSPre into a GS150 into a pair of Alexias was amazing. (...).

Well, IMHO the same ARC system into a pair of Sonus Faber Lilium sounds great. Again IMHO much better than I could expect considering the price of the whole system.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Wow headache time from reading this collection of meandering prattle. I have no doubt this amp sounds good and well it should for 20 grand but one thing I can unabashedly say..that is one butt ugly piece of gear. Not a fan of the new ARC aesthetic. I know, I know...it's all about the music...blah blah blah... :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My ugliest piece of gear, IMHO, is my REF10 two ugly boxes one containing a big blue screen that thankfully shuts off and is as useless as tits on a bull. Those REF150 owners who love meters must hate the look of their amps and those who hate meters and own REF75s and REF250s must really wish theirs looked like a REF150 and must REALLY hate the look of the GS150.

Magico owners looking for beauty must REALLY hate the look of their Q series.

On and on and on blah blah blah

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You and Taters obviously have some self-serving reason to morph what Elliot said into something else. Maybe it is system envy, intelligence envy or just plain failure to understand the language.

Knowing Peter, it is none of the above. You are just overly sensitive. Perhaps time to calm down a bit.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Actually, I find the amp look rather pretty and wouldn't mind the sight of it in my home at all. Tastes vary, I guess.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Actually, I find the amp look rather pretty and wouldn't mind the sight of it in my home at all. Tastes vary, I guess.

I have always liked the old ARC aesthetic with handles, etc. I'll be surprised if the new look is well accepted...but as you say tastes vary for sure..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing