Sometimes you just know....

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
DISCLAIMER - I do work in the Industry and I am currently employed for a dealer that does sell the following product. I am not here to promote either ARC or my store. I am not trying to sell anything to anyone here although I would be happy to assist if I can.

Sometimes in life when you see, hear or taste something you just know. Last evening was one of the special occasions for me. Early last week we received the new Audio Research GS-150 amplifier. I called my friend and client for the last 40 years and asked him if he would be interested in trying it. I dropped it off at his home on Wednesday and we made plans to listen on Sunday evening and have dinner.
We sat he turned on the music and as the title says sometimes you just know. My friend has a huge system and its something we have been working on and dialing in for the last couple of years. It is IMHO special. I have only in my long audio career heard a few of these. One never hears this at a showroom , or a show it has to be in a permanent situation in a good room. His room is 26 by 32 with 12 foot ceilings. There is minimal room treatment and that is to say it doesn't need it. he does not have a room with 250k of alterations, traps, diffusers etc. Its a large room upstairs in a large home.
The sound of this product when inserted into the Nola Concert Grand Golds, ARC REF-10, MSB Diamond DAC, etc. was nothing less than amazing. It is not that he did not have a quality amp before. It is not it blew us way. It just like the Sirens sweetly singing was irresistible. It invited you in and once there you did not want to leave. We listened to music being feed by computer, some high res, some red book to three hours of uninterrupted joy. We listened to rick, folk, jazz, and classical.
it DID NOT matter.
The music engulfed us. It was one of the amazing GMIA'S. I believe that this is a classic. It is something new and it is the first implementation of the new KT-150 tube. I suggest if you love music and you have a system that works with a tube amp and you have the proper associated gear that you invest a few minutes and take a trip, sometimes you just know..
Have fun, i am not a reviewer and in fact for the most part dislike what has happened with all of them. This is a personal observation by a music lover and the home of another music lover that has similar tastes but a much larger budget than I
Peace

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
DISCLAIMER - I do work in the Industry and I am currently employed for a dealer that does sell the following product. I am not here to promote either ARC or my store. I am not trying to sell anything to anyone here although I would be happy to assist if I can.

Sometimes in life when you see, hear or taste something you just know. Last evening was one of the special occasions for me. Early last week we received the new Audio Research GS-150 amplifier. I called my friend and client for the last 40 years and asked him if he would be interested in trying it. I dropped it off at his home on Wednesay and we made plans to listen on Sunday evening and have dinner.
We sat he turned on the music and as the title says sometimes you just know. My friend has a huge system and its something we have been working on and dialing in for the last couple of years. It is IMHO special. I have only in my long audio career heard a few of these. One never hears this at a showroom , or a show it has to be in a permanent situation in a good room. His room is 26 by 32 with 12 foot ceilings. There is minimal room treatment and that is to say it doesn't need it. he does not have a room with 250k of alterations, traps, diffusers etc. Its a large room upstairs in a large home.
The sound of this product when inserted into the Nola Concert Grand Golds, ARC REF-10, MSB Diamond Dac, etc. was nothing less than amazing. It is not that he did not have a quality amp before. It is not it blew us way. It just like the Sirens sweetly singing was irresistible. It invited you in and once there you did not want to leave. We listended to msic being feed by computer, some high res, some redbook to three hours of uninterupted joy. We listened to rick, folk, jazz, and classical.
it DID NOT matter.
The music engulfed us. It was one of the amazing GMIA'S. I believe that this is a classic. It is something new and it is the first implementation of the new KT-150 tube. I suggest if you love music and you have a system that works with a tube amp and you have the proper associated gear that you invest a few minutes and take a trip, sometimes you just know..
Have fun, i am not a reviewer and in fact for the most part dislike what has happened with all of them. This is a personal observation by a music lover and the home of another music lover that has similar tastes but a much larger budget than I
Peace

Obviously, since it is my system, I am jaded, but it is as Elliot describes.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Obviously, since it is my system, I am jaded, but it is as Elliot describes.

I myself am just luxuriating in the Ref10/Ref75 w/kt150 and my new Alexias. The KT150 is something special, so I imagine an amp built around it, by a firm like ARC, will be magical indeed. I like the look, but as my REF75 has less than 50 hours I'll likely be waiting for the next gen Ref series w/150s.

It was your advice that I took to order up the 150s. Some of the magic I am hearing is likely the amp and pre going through their changes breaking in, but adding the 150s immediately added bass impact and tonality. My prior rig was Ref110 with Ref3 and Sasha v1. And my prior room closed, so there was plenty of dynamic pop and drive. In my new room which is open to the house, I initially felt the REF75 w/KT120 did not provide the dynamic impact I enjoy from Wilson speakers. But after adding the 150s I feel my system has the dynamic umph I thought could only be heard in a closed room. I am eager to become more acquainted with my rig as it evolves towards fully broken in.

Long live ARC!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I bet the sound would be even better if he acoustically measured the room, and acted upon the results.
Keith.

and did what? ( i shudder to hear)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
You don't believe the room important Elliot?
Keith

How do you know what I have done to my room or that my room is sonically impure??

Whatever

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Are you and Elliot G one and the same?
Keith.

No, not even close. There are 4 years in age, 80 lbs and 70 points of IQ separating us.

LOL

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I myself am just luxuriating in the Ref10/Ref75 w/kt150 and my new Alexias. The KT150 is something special, so I imagine an amp built around it, by a firm like ARC, will be magical indeed. I like the look, but as my REF75 has less than 50 hours I'll likely be waiting for the next gen Ref series w/150s.

It was your advice that I took to order up the 150s. Some of the magic I am hearing is likely the amp and pre going through their changes breaking in, but adding the 150s immediately added bass impact and tonality. My prior rig was Ref110 with Ref3 and Sasha v1. And my prior room closed, so there was plenty of dynamic pop and drive. In my new room which is open to the house, I initially felt the REF75 w/KT120 did not provide the dynamic impact I enjoy from Wilson speakers. But after adding the 150s I feel my system has the dynamic umph I thought could only be heard in a closed room. I am eager to become more acquainted with my rig as it evolves towards fully broken in.

Long live ARC!

Bob I will post my full perspective on the amp, but as I began to allude to on the other forum it is a special piece.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
You don't believe the room important Elliot?
Keith
I do!
I think the most important part of any system is the proper placement of the speaker in the room. This should be done by an experienced expert, in this case ME!
I think you fix whats broken in a room if that's the case but just because one goes through the whole process of designing and building a custom room which is really expensive does not mean you have a great sounding room.
I know of both. Transparent Audio has the latter and they have two great sounding rooms. HP had none of that and had a great sounding room.
Howie's room works and it works perfectly for the Nola speakers he owns.
i find most audiophiles want to fix what they dont know or understand....BIG MISTAKE
Pay a pro to set up your system FIRST
My opinion Sir

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
No, not even close. There are 4 years in age, 80 lbs and 70 points of IQ separating us.

LOL
He is younger and a few pounds lighter but the 70 IQ points is a joke
One of us has a full head of hair BTW LOL

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I will say, while the GS150 has the new "retro" look, the REF75, to me, nailed the retro look perfectly while keeping in line with the traditional ARC appearance. They're both terrific in my eyes, but I must say my wife is afraid I will hear the GS150 anytime soon, due to the bank-account-draining aspect of hearing better kit.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
You have acoustically measured the room then being an expert.
Keith
I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean Sir?
In my career I have been in hundreds of rooms. Rooms in large studio's , large homes, manufacturers sound rooms etc.
I dont need to use my spectrum analizer to know what a room does or doesn't do. Its a tool to help solve problems when they are there.
Flat frequency response ( which there never is BTW) is not the only factoid required for a good sounding system.
Since Nothing is perfect and we are not looking for a dead chamber I find it non important.
You need to hear a system like this to understand and if you haven't then you wont. I am not trying to insult you I am just stating the truth as I know it.
Don't be judgmental of what you haven't experienced, not everything in life comes down to numbers.
Passion and Beauty dont really have finite numbers.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Long live ARC!

You know Bob, I just took at look at Stereophile's measurements on the Alexia- maybe 75 watts isn't enough with the impedance swings/phase angle. A Ref 150 could be a better match for your speakers?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You know Bob, I just took at look at Stereophile's measurements on the Alexia- maybe 75 watts isn't enough with the impedance swings/phase angle. A Ref 150 could be a better match for your speakers?

Hi KeithR, you might be right? I purchased the REF75 after hearing it at my dealer's showroom. And I have the good fortune of trusting the ears of the fellow at the dealership, who has setup my last couple pairs Wilsons. He's knowledgable and has a good ear. He heard the Alexia with Ref250, Ref150, and Ref75. He encouraged me to consider the Ref75, which he said sounds the best of all 3. I know of at least one member on this forum (Howie, above, aka Priaptor) who also said he though the Ref10/Ref75/Kt150/Alexia was magical. I am inclined to agree now though my kit is less than 50 hours old.

I suppose it is possible on some recording, some bass frequency may not be heard as well as when using some other amp, but if so I think I'd not hear it 'cause this combo creates a wonderful synergy that has me toe-tapping and lost in the music. I don't tend to go hunting for a particular note, but focus on the whole.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
So that would be No, then?
Keith
I am not sure but I believe you trying to be an [Deleted......please do not post in this manner again]so the answer is ....

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think this thread was started to talk about how great this new amp is. Why are the posts about the room, room measurements and the expertise of the dealer who sells this amp? Has anyone else heard this amp in a different setting and would he be willing to share his opinion about how it sounds?

esldude

Just suggesting something that might improve the sound of your customers systems.
Keith.

Oh come now Purite Audio. The thread title says it all. We don't need no stinking numbers, no measurements, none of that babble. With passion and beauty sometimes you just KNOW.

And if you don't well that is because your equipment is bad, your hearing is bad or your experience is lacking. Surely you knew that?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Call me crazy, but after 20+ years in the business and listening to many systems, I find it quite conceivable someone can walk into a room an hear how good a system sounds without measurement.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Call me crazy, but after 20+ years in the business and listening to many systems, I find it quite conceivable someone can walk into a room an hear how good a system sounds without measurement.

I agree. If my toes automatically tap, or if I fall asleep, it's all the measurement I need.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bob I will post my full perspective on the amp, but as I began to allude to on the other forum it is a special piece.

You are not alone. I listened briefly to the GS150 and matching preamplifier in a room and system I now have listened for a few times with several other electronics and it is really an amazing pair.

Elliot analogy of the Syrens was perfect - although it was just a preliminary listening in a dealer room I feel I must re-listen to it.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
You are not alone. I listened briefly to the GS150 and matching preamplifier in a room and system I now have listened for a few times with several other electronics and it is really an amazing pair.

Elliot analogy of the Syrens was perfect - although it was just a preliminary listening in a dealer room I feel I must re-listen to it.

I can't speak for the GSPre but the GS150 is an outstanding piece. I am very impressed. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing