Sometimes you just know....

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Knowing Peter, it is none of the above. You are just overly sensitive. Perhaps time to calm down a bit.

Well I am calm, I don't know Peter or Taters but their logic is obtuse and hard to believe.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Funny, but with all due respect, how do you know that Tater was not familiar with the system or even the room? This seems to have been a demo for the LA County and Orange County Audiophile Society. With the Audio Research sales manager in attendance and such a potential and captive customer group present, one would hope that the system was properly set up and that it was more than a "drive by" demonstration. He did think it sounded nice.

Why do you think that this thread or the dealer demo a waste of time?

Priaptor, I think this is the post that you are so upset about. You describe my comments as absurd and illogical. Could you please explain how they are either of those? Or are you saying that "Sometimes you just know..."?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have always liked the old ARC aesthetic with handles, etc. I'll be surprised if the new look is well accepted...but as you say tastes vary for sure..

I'm not sure what is going to happen and for sure they are not asking my opinion LOL but with new leadership and this new look I think its likely that this is the direction they might be heading in.
Old timers like to think about this in a way that the tradition of the old school looks. However the world has changed and perhaps they want to modernize, who knows.
Bill Johnson and his staff had their vision now we have new people at the top and it may change.
I like the new look but at the end of the day if it didn't sound the way it did I wouldn't care.
FYI the GS gear is selling very well so maybe that says something as well.
Happy Thanksgiving,

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Yeah well I'm one of those old curmudgeons who still likes the McIntosh blue meters...call me stick in the mud...whatever :)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have said many times that great sound, truly great sound is not possible in a dealers showroom
Not sure I agree with you Elliot and YOU are the reason why. I visited your store many years ago on one of my South Florida business trips just to see what was new and exciting that I didn't have access to hearing where I was living (I think it was St Louis at the time). If memory serves, the store was in a strip mall on Military trail. I walked in and after a cordial conversation, you invited me to sit down in the sweet spot. You turned the lights down and played Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth on a system that was comprised of Spectral Electronics and Genesis speakers. I nearly crapped in my pants. It was one of the most memorable systems I had ever heard up to that point. The next example was a few years later at your store much further inland (Plantation? - I can't recall) where you were particularly proud of the trials and tribulations you took to get the large Focal Utopia speakers to sound their best. I don't recall the electronics but I remember the sound there as similarly outstanding. So when you say great sound cannot occur in a dealer's store, sorry buddy, but you've proved yourself wrong!! At least twice.
Marty

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I am not "seconding" Tater's opinion. I was not there, I've never heard the amp, nor did I say anything about the sound of the amp. I simply questioned how Elliot is so sure about Tater's experience with the system and room at that dealership. I had asked further up the thread if anyone else has heard this amplifier in a different setting. Taters responded, in what I presume is an honest way, with his post. Does that offend anyone?

All I did was to respond to what a member asked for. It had nothing to do with your great experience. I was not trying to take anything away from you. Why on earth would you get so defensive?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
All I did was to respond to what a member asked for. It had nothing to do with your great experience. I was not trying to take anything away from you. Why on earth would you get so defensive?

+1. Thanks taters. I appreciate you sharing your experience from that audition. Did any of your fellow audiophile society members post their impressions on other forums?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I understand you and this Peter guy think your cute but your post was to denigrate Elliot's experience of "amazing" pertaining to the GS150 based on your experience with a system that had no similarity other than it containing a GS150.

You can play your games if you like but your so called impression as a comparison to Elliot's is to be polite, useless

taters

Jun 6, 2012
+1. Thanks taters. I appreciate you sharing your experience from that audition. Did any of your fellow audiophile society members post their impressions on other forums?

I haven't seen any and the only reason I posted my Impression is because you asked. Obviously some members on this site believe I was trying to denigrate Elliot's experience. That was not my Intention at all.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I haven't seen any and the only reason I posted my Impression is because you asked. Obviously some members on this site believe I was trying to denigrate Elliot's experience. That was not my Intention at all.

So why bring it up in your original post if that wasn't your intention?? Because it obviously was.

Nuf said.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
So why bring it up in your original post if that wasn't your intention?? Because it obviously was.

Nuf said.

Wow! This is getting ridiculous. The man asked me a question and I answered it. Stop being so paranoid.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Not sure I agree with you Elliot and YOU are the reason why. I visited your store many years ago on one of my South Florida business trips just to see what was new and exciting that I didn't have access to hearing where I was living (I think it was St Louis at the time). If memory serves, the store was in a strip mall on Military trail. I walked in and after a cordial conversation, you invited me to sit down in the sweet spot. You turned the lights down and played Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth on a system that was comprised of Spectral Electronics and Genesis speakers. I nearly crapped in my pants. It was one of the most memorable systems I had ever heard up to that point. The next example was a few years later at your store much further inland (Plantation? - I can't recall) where you were particularly proud of the trials and tribulations you took to get the large Focal Utopia speakers to sound their best. I don't recall the electronics but I remember the sound there as similarly outstanding. So when you say great sound cannot occur in a dealer's store, sorry buddy, but you've proved yourself wrong!! At least twice.
Marty

Thank you Marty for the compliment but you see there is where we differ. I think that in both cases I had really good sound it was in both cases not my best work. It is not my best work for the same reasons I stated before. I would like to think that I was able to get really good sound in my stores because I did design and build the two rooms in question and was able to define the circumstances of what I displayed and personally set up. This is not the case in the overwhelming majority of stores. The sound you heard was however far from what I think is possible or what I and others are able to do in a non store environment. I believe this is where we differ. I dont know if you have ever had the experience I am talking about.
I have worked in other stores some I have owned and some I haven"t. The environments in these locations change constantly and there are usually many masters to serve.
What Priaptor has in his home today is far better than what you heard at my stores. What I used to listen to at HP was like that as well.
I again want to thank you for the complements and a little street cred here LOL
I was and still am trying to make a point. I guess after my experience here and the audiophile drive by reviews that are puked up as fact perhaps I am somewhat gun shy. The comments of Taters were not what I was talking about.
I did try my best, and perhaps failed, at explaining what we did and what we experienced with this amplifier in a controlled environment. I made no comment about the preamp, the cd player or the Wilson speakers set up at a dealers showroom.One thing in all my years of doing this, the systems you mentioned I would not have considered my best work.
Thanks,
Elliot
Have a nice holiday

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing