SFP Rolling? Anyone?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has done some SFP rolling and reached some conclusions about the sound attributes of various makes of SFPs. I poo pooed this for a long time until I tried it, and most SFPs are going to be 15 bucks or less so it's easy to get tempted. It's kind of like digital tube rolling, I guess. Or at least, the differences aren't always small.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has done some SFP rolling and reached some conclusions about the sound attributes of various makes of SFPs. I poo pooed this for a long time until I tried it, and most SFPs are going to be 15 bucks or less so it's easy to get tempted. It's kind of like digital tube rolling, I guess. Or at least, the differences aren't always small.
If you think SFP rolling produces changes try rolling tube adapters if you really want to be shocked. Everything matters

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I have recently rolled a few SFPs in my setup. I have tried the following:

Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL
Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL
Cisco SFP-10G-AOC1M

In my setup the Cisco SFP AOC sounds the best. The Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL is very detailed but I could only listen for short periods of time before my ears became tired. The Cisco SFPs allow me to enjoy the system for longer periods at a time.

Reactions: joeling and bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have recently rolled a few SFPs in my setup. I have tried the following:

Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL
Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL
Cisco SFP-10G-AOC1M

In my setup the Cisco SFP AOC sounds the best. The Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL is very detailed but I could only listen for short periods of time before my ears became tired. The Cisco SFPs allow me to enjoy the system for longer periods at a time.
Any tonality changes you're hearing across these?

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
Any tonality changes you're hearing across these?
from what I remember they all were very clear, however the Cisco ones had a relaxed and fuller presentation in the bottom end. The Finisar BTLs sounded pretty even across the spectrum but I did not measure. I tried the BNLs first and then once I got the Cisco's I returned them as didn't see myself listening to them ever. I still have the BTLs and will pop them in on occasion if something else in my system changes just to make sure the setup is optimal.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I have some Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL to try. I guess you haven't tried these.
nope, I have not...maybe i'll check them out at some point if I get bored...

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
If you think SFP rolling produces changes try rolling tube adapters if you really want to be shocked. Everything matters
I am trying to stop myself from going down the tube/tube adapter rolling rabbit hole...I keep telling myself that the best tubes are NOS and they are unavailable so I shouldn't even bother...I don't want to hear anyone say otherwise :p

wil

Jul 22, 2015
from what I remember they all were very clear, however the Cisco ones had a relaxed and fuller presentation in the bottom end. The Finisar BTLs sounded pretty even across the spectrum but I did not measure. I tried the BNLs first and then once I got the Cisco's I returned them as didn't see myself listening to them ever. I still have the BTLs and will pop them in on occasion if something else in my system changes just to make sure the setup is optimal.
I seem to recall reading that Cisco SFP’s should only be used with Cisco equipment. Do I have this right?

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I seem to recall reading that Cisco SFP’s should only be used with Cisco equipment. Do I have this right?
I have no clue but so far nothing has exploded…

Reactions: wil

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Cisco works fine for me. It's not my favorite sounding SFP but good enough to keep on hand.

The only talked-about SFP that I haven't tried at this point is the Finisar 1475. My favorite sounding SFP is not one that I've ever seen discussed on audio forums.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Cisco works fine for me. It's not my favorite sounding SFP but good enough to keep on hand.

The only talked-about SFP that I haven't tried at this point is the Finisar 1475. My favorite sounding SFP is not one that I've ever seen discussed on audio forums.
You’re not going to tell us? :oops:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@tony22

See post #6. They're actually a multimode SFP that I'm using with singlemode Cisco patch cable. They combo isn't supposed to work, but sounds best to me this far.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Missed it! Sorry! And thanks.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
They combo isn't supposed to work, but sounds best to me this far.
Would you provide some insight around what you find best about these? And have you tried them with the correct fiber option?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Would you provide some insight around what you find best about these? And have you tried them with the correct fiber option?
The key in my system has been the combo of the Cisco cable with these SFPs. They've been a bit aggressive with other cables. But I have not tried a Multimode cable. Do you have any recs?

Anyhow this combo, for me, is highly detailed in a natural way with nuance decay and no fatigue, open and spacious, clear clean and crisp without being hard or edgy, and spot on with timber. I just really dig the sound.

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The key in my system has been the combo of the Cisco cable with these SFPs. They've been a bit aggressive with other cables. But I have not tried a Multimode cable. Do you have any recs?

Anyhow this combo, for me, is highly detailed in a natural way with nuance decay and no fatigue, open and spacious, clear clean and crisp without being hard or edgy, and spot on with timber. I just really dig the sound.
Thanks for sharing those details.

I don’t have a cable recommendation, but I understand that using the correct kind of cable allows it to meet specifications. You could potentially be causing reflections with the incorrect cable and these can lead to increased jitter.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
That's right. Signal quality should suffer in this arrangement. To what extent is anyone's guess, though. I'm just following my ears.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
That's right. Signal quality should suffer in this arrangement. To what extent is anyone's guess, though. I'm just following my ears.
Precision matters with digital audio transmission. I once tried fiber attenuators. Even the least amount of attention caused audible harm. Thus it stands to reason that if you favor those SFPs is because they are doing something right, allowing them to perform at their best should make you like them even more. Everything matters in this hobby, so we can often greatly benefit by following our ears while at the same time allowing what’s between our ears to speak into the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: harsheel_dbs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing