Tube rolling mishap with my Lampizator.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I would gladly do the same but I don't have the neccessary equipment nor the knowledge.

If you buy the right equipment you don't need much knowledge.

I have 4 testers but at this point the only one I use is the Amplitrex AT-1000.

• Love
Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I would gladly do the same but I don't have the neccessary equipment nor the knowledge.

I have a couple of boxes full of tubes that didn’t make the listening grade, most at or near NOS condition, but without a tester and knowledge I feel stuck.

@dminches How to find an Amplitrex AT-1000? Just to get a sense, I find search on eBay and HiFi Shark turns up nothing but tubes tested with one.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a couple of boxes full of tubes that didn’t make the listening grade, most at or near NOS condition, but without a tester and knowledge I feel stuck.

@dminches How to find an Amplitrex AT-1000? Just to get a sense, I find search on eBay and HiFi Shark turns up nothing but tubes tested with one.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
From Amplitrex: The unit cost is $3,100. + shipping. We should have new units available in
around 2 to 3 weeks.

Not sure I'd break even at that price.

I use it to feel comfortable that any tube (+adapter) is not faulty before I put it in expensive equipment.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
One cannot go wrong dealing with @takacs75, Laszlo. Just a pleasure dealing with him. Straight shooter no BS/Nonsense...
FWIW did you know that Laszlo and a friend make everyone of these themselves using a CNC. His friend does the program for the CNC and for them this is truly a lesson in love. I’ve suggested to Laszlo that his adapters have become so popular he should consider making adapters for all sockets. He admitted he’d likely be busy but he said he preferred to make adapters for Lampi users here at WBF. That's what you call a boutique business. We are very fortunate to have Laszlo who brings with Tibor who knows more about exotic tubes and adapters than anyone around. They are certainly boutique priced but the workmanship and wiring that go into these adapters is second to none. Did you know that Laszlo polishes everyone of these adapters and there are “many” now in the field.

The beauty of WBF IMHO is having members who are not only ardent audiophiles but so also have become producers of some of the best equipment I own

I tip my hat to you gentlemen. Not only have all of you brought me back to digital but so also make products that I feel have gotten me so much closer to the music.
@takacs75 , @Taiko Audio , @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus
:cool:

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I have a tube tester but I don't usually bother. I've done a lot of tube rolling and very seldom is a tube DOA. I've had a couple of tubes red plate (not immediately) and I caught both before any damage was done. Lastly, bad tubes very seldom damage amps. They can, but it is not very common. I use my tube tester more before I sell tubes to confirm they are good. I'd hate to sell a bad tube.

I will say I'm not as worried about damaging my amp/DAC as most as I can usually do the repair myself.

Jerry

Reactions: christoph

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Alright, well, it's been 3 weeks since the original post, after which I immediately sent the bad adapters to seller B, who is as @plasmod3 pointed out, Marco Zerlin in Italy. Ian did warn me before I purchased tubes from Marco, but I wanted to give the benefit of doubt.

To be fair, Marco was great to chat with and was friendly until I raised the concern that the adapters may have been bad, after which the conversations were not so friendly. After UPS delivered him the adapters last week I was still hoping he would acknowledge what happened, but he has not reached out since. In the absence of any effort on his part I regrettably cannot endorse buying tubes/adapters from him as there is no recourse nor responsibility if a product is defective.

Hopefully this is the end of this chapter. But I also hope this thread provides fair and transparent context for others who tube roll to exercise due caution.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Alright, well, it's been 3 weeks since the original post, after which I immediately sent the bad adapters to seller B, who is as @plasmod3 pointed out, Marco Zerlin in Italy. Ian did warn me before I purchased tubes from Marco, but I wanted to give the benefit of doubt.

To be fair, Marco was great to chat with and was friendly until I raised the concern that the adapters may have been bad, after which the conversations were not so friendly. After UPS delivered him the adapters last week I was still hoping he would acknowledge what happened, but he has not reached out since. In the absence of any effort on his part I regrettably cannot endorse buying tubes/adapters from him as there is no recourse nor responsibility if a product is defective.

Hopefully this is the end of this chapter. But I also hope this thread provides fair and transparent context for others who tube roll to exercise due caution.

I would also roll pricing into the equation. Adapter quality aside, the comment I received about Italian pricing of tubes was dead on.

Last edited:

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I would also roll pricing in the equation. Adapter quality aside, the comment I received about Italian pricing of tubes was dead on.
Same experience my end, he sells defective products and when you bring it up, it becomes a really really unpleasant experience. Someone like that has no place in our community, I hope the moderators can review this whole thread and protect the community. I was hoping that I would be the only one burnt but it looks like there is a consistent pattern here from Marco

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I am a builder like Marco is. I make things and sell them and work on other people's stuff in another hobby. I have a saying, "You only have one reputation." Any time you send out a bad product you degrade your reputation. The worst I've ever done is to forget part of an order. I did one time damage a person's piece (about a $500 item) when a lathe tool carbide tip came unglued. I could repair it by doing an expensive ($300) upgrade. I contacted the owner, offered the upgrade for free, and he was very happy. It just took me about 4 hours to do the work but it is all about saving your reputation.

If you do make an error, and everyone makes an error eventually, it is imperative that you acknowledge it and take responsibility for it. In this case I would rewire the defective adapters and test them and I would offer to pay for all of your losses. That is the only way to retain your reputation.

I've heard vendors say things like "No way I can pay out $500 on a $50 part. Most I will cover is $50." Not good business in my opinion.

Jerry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Does this guy sell on ebay? What's his seller name?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Thanks for sharing this, Keith. We pour our hearts and souls into this passion, it's a shame when we have unscrupulous people who attempt to take advantage. Typically, audio people are very honest...

Reactions: lordcloud

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

You are an utmost gentleman, Keith and you gave the seller more than enough time to come up with a solution and to keep his dignity.

Unfortuately he did NOT take the generous chance you gave him.

I'm very sorry for the bad experience you had, even in addition with broken gear, due to the faulty stuff you bought from that seller.

Thanks for the fair warning and I hope other buyers don't have to suffer through this seller like you did.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
You are an utmost gentleman, Keith and you gave the seller more than enough time to come up with a solution and to keep his dignity.

Unfortuately he did NOT take the generous chance you gave him.

I'm very sorry for the bad experience you had, even in addition with broken gear, due to the faulty stuff you bought from that seller.

Thanks for the fair warning and I hope other buyers don't have to suffer through this seller like you did.
A gentleman indeed. I unfortunately wouldn't have been as gracious as Keith...

Reactions: keithc

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
AFAIK he has many aliases on EBay. In fact most of these tubes come from Verona and seem to be from the same vendor
Vintage fivre
Wege high tubes
Zetopak

Also another account..

cartago_delenda_est

I know of at least 4 accounts he has on ebay.

That's how it all started, he has some odd tubes that would be good to add to a collection but most not working. Having a high price means they never really get sold to be tested until I fell right in and bought them. They would literally be listed up for yrs with many watchers without a sale. His favourite trick is... your tester must be broken...

Maybe I say but not if I have 7 different testing mavhines...

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Vintage fivre
Wege high tubes
Zetopak

Also another account..

Cartegena del espana... Something like that

I know of at least 4 accounts he has on ebay.

That's how it all started, he has some odd tubes that would be good to add to a collection but most not working. Having a high price means they never really get sold to be tested until I fell right in and bought them. They would literally be listed up for yrs with many watchers without a sale. His favourite trick is... your tester must be broken...

Maybe I say but not if I have 7 different testing mavhines...

An expensive lesson

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing