Hifi show Melbourne Oct 2023

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day maties, greetings from down unda.

Just went through that previous write up I did in Nov 2017... oh boy what a drama!

Anyway, thought I'd mention this particular one leaving out the subsequent ones between 2017... all the way upto 2023. So it's certainly been a while and post covid, a lot has changed!
Apart from the fighting and turmoil on other issues across the globe, unnecessary wars... and the exhorbitant rise in the cost of living, which has significantly increased over here since 2017, it's very refreshing to walk into a HiFi show and get a glimpse of what's on offer and the possibilities of putting together a high-quality system with careful thought and planning. Of course with wise spending.

The show was very well organised, covered over 3 days Friday to Sunday and at the very same location since 2017. No major queues, thanks to online ticket sales, and much better layout of rooms. The gear was quite impressive, although there were some room set-ups that didn't bring out the best of the gear on active display. That will always be a challenge but for those who know that type of gear / make, will know the potential (Wilson's, Momentum, Helix TT's, Allnic, Wilson Benesch, Vitus etc).
Just to name a few systems that were well matched up:

1. Mark Levinson with Revel's top of the line speakers (overall best that I liked).

2. The Aussie brand, Hulgich speakers were tops! They reminded me of the older Genesis or Wilson Watt Puppy design, very well balanced from top to bottom, nothing too overpowering and a very effortless, smooth presentation. These Hulgich speakers have always impressed, regardless of the room setup, they seem to work just fine in any setting!

3. Then comes the rest: Allnic tube gear with Golden Note speakers, Audio Vector speakers with Vitus and Accuphase gear, and Klipsch horns, which always present effortless dynamics regardless of what kind of amplification used. So overall great system setups and a job well done!

I did notice though on the majority of systems, nearly every demo was using streaming with the Blue Sound Node. DACs were of various configs but Blue Sound seemed to be their preferred choice I guess it's to do with convenience and vfm. However, I must say those systems that did have a TT rig playing, sounded more lively or least it's what I preferred. I didn't come across any transports or digital playback systems that were actively playing CDs or SACD's, rather they were only static displays. Would have certainly been nice to have auditioned these systems but I guess the vendors were having a more manageable approach with streaming.

It was a great crowd of people, excellent turn out, and in some rooms it was non-stop! Those familiar chaps demoing their gear told me that it was a great turnout compared to previous years. Of course the pricing range has significantly changed since 2017 but there's still a way of getting access to top quality gear without having to spend a fortune.

Here are a few picks, the last one is the G-man himself! I told him that sub-woofer is too big... would be better located in the driveway!
Cheers to all, and have a great Xmas and a wonderful year ahead to 2024.

And most of all, enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Attachments

• 20231021_135621.jpg
    20231021_135621.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231021_135703.jpg
    20231021_135703.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231021_153654.jpg
    20231021_153654.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231021_135919.jpg
    20231021_135919.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231021_124008.jpg
    20231021_124008.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 8

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing