S3 - First Review

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That is why I said "breathe". It is the sense of a deep decay in sound, more of a feeling than a sound. Hard to explain if you don't feel it. But, as I said before in so many words, not everybody feels the need to experience this.

Tell you what. Listen to the S3s driven by the Audio Note Kagura amplifiers and analog playback and tell me that the S3s don't "breathe."

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Round up the usual suspects. :)

Im the guy in the front chair in that photo :)

As to the bass, most of the drab audiophile demo music wasnt really testing it. (Yes, i heard Silent Night in June). My criticisms were more to soundstage and hifi sound.

I have heard S5s on CA gear at a show sound better- maybe the largers drivers helped, dont know.

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Im the guy in the front chair in that photo :)

As to the bass, i didnt hear any issues- although most of the drab audiophile demo music wasnt really testing it. (Yes, i heard Silent Night in June). My criticisms were more to soundstage and hifi sound.

I have heard S5s on CA gear at a show sound better- maybe the largers drivers helped, dont know.

Blue shirt?

I wasn't there, but I'm told the DAC was the new Alpha Reference driving a Constellation amp.

If the bass was good in that big room with all those people, I want to hear them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yes, BA reference into CA Virgo/Centaur with loads of Nordost Valhalla and Odin.

I wrote a small piece on ashark about the setup...actually going back to those notes, i felt the bass a bit fuzzy.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Yes, BA reference into CA Virgo/Centaur with loads of Nordost Valhalla and Odin.

I wrote a small piece on ashark about the setup...actually going back to those notes, i felt the bass a bit fuzzy.

You're a hard guy to please.

Tough to judge the soundstage and bass focus when you're sitting off center.

Still planning to spend the money for a trip to HNL to hear them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You're a hard guy to please.

Tough to judge the soundstage and bass focus when you're sitting off center.

Still planning to spend the money for a trip to HNL to hear them.

I was sitting in the sweet spot, Dan. But yes, an unfamiliar room. I thought the CA gear may have been an issue. I like Magicos and certainly recommend an audition. Are you stll running Wilsons?

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I was sitting in the sweet spot, Dan. But yes, an unfamiliar room. I thought the CA gear may have been an issue. I like Magicos and certainly recommend an audition. Are you stll running Wilsons?
Yes, the other S3s are still in my room, but we no longer have a WA dealer in HI, so that upgrade path has taken a detour.

My plan if you read any of my old posts was to get a DMA-260, but the SA police told me that wasn't possible without buying their preamp and cables.

Old guys like me hate being told what to do.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yes, the other S3s are still in my room, but we no longer have a WA dealer in HI, so that upgrade path has taken a detour.

My plan if you read any of my old posts was to get a DMA-260, but the SA police told me that wasn't possible without buying their preamp and cables.

Old guys like me hate being told what to do.

It will be nice to read your comments on the subject after an audition.

I get to hear the Alexias and YG Haileys in the same room soon...too bad the reviewer doesn't have Q3s as well for the ultimate comparo!

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Tell you what. Listen to the S3s driven by the Audio Note Kagura amplifiers and analog playback and tell me that the S3s don't "breathe."

Well...finally heard the S3 today and I take back any prejudice about the bass: it was fine indeed! Room placement soooooooooooooooo important though. I went from audio heaven to mediocre sound (too much bass!!!) just by moving forward three rows and from a normal chair to a low bench. So: great speaker without any choked bass indeed!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well...finally heard the S3 today and I take back any prejudice about the bass: it was fine indeed! Room placement soooooooooooooooo important though. I went from audio heaven to mediocre sound (too much bass!!!) just by moving forward three rows and from a normal chair to a low bench. So: great speaker without any choked bass indeed!

When you say "room placement", are you talking about the placement of the speaker in the room, or where the listening seat is located? I have found that both are usually critical to great sound.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
When you say "room placement", are you talking about the placement of the speaker in the room, or where the listening seat is located? I have found that both are usually critical to great sound.

Hi Peter,
you are right. This time I meant the listening seat. The placement during the show at Rhapsody was a compromise as it is in any show. But the men from Hilversum know what they are doing! It is the leading high-end shop of the Netherlands. Always: the best sound possible, great atmosphere and oh yes...great coffee :p:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

nirodha, how far away from the speaker were you when you thought the sound was best? And do you know the rough dimensions of the room? Thanks.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
nirodha, how far away from the speaker were you when you thought the sound was best? And do you know the rough dimensions of the room? Thanks.

Difficult questions...it is a Big room with very high ceiling. Finetuned by the best (DAADs etc.)
The best sound was definitely NOT in the triangle situation. I think I was about 5 or 6 metres away with the best sound and integration. Worst sound about 3 metres and in a lower position.
Some pics of the main listening room (just to give you an impression!)

Attachments

• rhapsody room.jpg
    rhapsody room.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 851
  • rhapsody room3.jpg
    rhapsody room3.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,058

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Difficult questions...it is a Big room with very high ceiling. Finetuned by the best (DAADs etc.)
The best sound was definitely NOT in the triangle situation. I think I was about 5 or 6 metres away with the best sound and integration. Worst sound about 3 metres and in a lower position.
Some pics of the main listening room (just to give you an impression!)

Thanks nirodha. It always seems very room dependent. I sit about 3 metres from my Magico Mini2 speakers and I think the S3 would sound great near the same spot, but there is no way to know unless you try it.

Love the photo of the Q7 and Pass XA super amps. Magico/Pass is a great combination, but rarely heard in the US. I think it is a dealer thing.

That room does not seem to have much treatment.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
That room does not seem to have much treatment.[/QUOTE]

About the treatment. They still go for a room you can live with at home (well...if you are lucky enough...).
I can spot 2 acoustic revive rr-77, 2 acustica applicata Polifemo; some acustica applicata Daads. A lot of tibetan bowls and those little chalices, which names I can't remember :p
Each show and set gets its special treatement. The sound is always special but of course it depends on your spot as a listener.
Cheers,
Wim
P.S. it was at this dealer where I heard the best sound ever in my life with the Magico Q7 and Zanden amps and the latest stack of dCS. Pure audio nirvana!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That room does not seem to have much treatment.
About the treatment. They still go for a room you can live with at home (well...if you are lucky enough...).
I can spot 2 acoustic revive rr-77, 2 acustica applicata Polifemo; some acustica applicata Daads. A lot of tibetan bowls and those little chalices, which names I can't remember :p
Each show and set gets its special treatement. The sound is always special but of course it depends on your spot as a listener.
Cheers,
Wim
P.S. it was at this dealer where I heard the best sound ever in my life with the Magico Q7 and Zanden amps and the latest stack of dCS. Pure audio nirvana!

There's a lot of Acustica applicata room Rx along the front wall. Avalon was a big proponent of AA.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
That is interesting about Avalon being a fan of AA.
Myles you ever used the Acoustica Applicata room products?

Thanks
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing