S3 - First Review

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Amazing, a review that was "Created on Tuesday, 01 July 2014 00:00 Written by Ryan Coleman," can be read on Monday, 16 June 2014.

What will they think of next......

Last edited:

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
The review is still in the proofreading stage and was not meant for public consumption. Sorry.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Good review. I have listened to the Q3, S3 and S5 in the same room, and I share most of the observations. I would only add that the midrange is very very nice. It is for me the part of the speaker which stands out.
I completely agree with his thoughts on difference between ported and sealed bass. I lived for 20 years with ported designs (Cabasse, Triangle, Infinity IRS, Usher, Wilson...), but once I switched to a sealed system (EA MM3), it was impossible for me to switch back to ported. Ported bass gives a pleasing sound, impressive... but now I always hear the lack of linearity of ported bass, which smears the mid range transparency, and decreases definition of the bass itself.

Among the 3 speakers above, my choice is still the Q3 (I listen nearly exclusively to acoustic music: jazz, classical, voices). Less tolerance to bad sources, but more definition and transparency. And even cleaner and more transparent bass than the S series.
Between the S3 and S5, it is really a question of budget and room size. Their sound is very similar. In a good size room, the S5 does a better job at filling the room. It has more impact in the bass, which is quite normal with 10" drivers giving 60% more membrane surface... If I would listen to a lot of electronic music or rock, I would take the S5 - but both are excellent speakers.

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Hi Jeff, when it is eventually published, are there plans for you to chime in with a second opinion for completeness? It would be useful given that you have reviewed or listened to most, if not all, of the Magico range and would therefore be able to give a perspective of how the S3 stacks against the other Magico models. Plus, it is supposedly the "sweet spot" in the Magico.

Further, you also have had experience with competitors of similar price points, like the Rockport Atria/Avior. So, a comparison with such competitors would enhance the usefulness of the review.

Thanks.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I am not Jeff but I can still chime in since I heard all Magico speakers with the exception of the new M project.
S series and Q series have a different sonic characteristic. S series more tolerant to source quality, more relaxed sound - would make for example transition to Magico sound for an ex-Wilson owner easier. Q series more transparent across the frequency range. I own both, and would choose Q. But you cannot go wrong with any of them.

Within a series, I wouldn't say there is one speaker better than the other. This is what is remarkable in Magico range. Whereas my experience with other vendors is that 1-2 speakers stand out and the rest of the range is often a bit below, it is not the case here. I would say that the choice of speaker in a series is more driven by your budget, size of your room, position of room mode and type of music you listen to.

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
I am not Jeff but I can still chime in since I heard all Magico speakers with the exception of the new M project.
S series and Q series have a different sonic characteristic. S series more tolerant to source quality, more relaxed sound - would make for example transition to Magico sound for an ex-Wilson owner easier. Q series more transparent across the frequency range. I own both, and would choose Q. But you cannot go wrong with any of them.

Within a series, I wouldn't say there is one speaker better than the other. This is what is remarkable in Magico range. Whereas my experience with other vendors is that 1-2 speakers stand out and the rest of the range is often a bit below, it is not the case here. I would say that the choice of speaker in a series is more driven by your budget, size of your room, position of room mode and type of music you listen to.

Thanks, stereo. Any thoughts on how the S3 would compare to the Atria/Avior?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Thanks, stereo. Any thoughts on how the S3 would compare to the Atria/Avior?
I have not heard them in the same room and with the same equipment, so cannot make a real comparison. As I wrote, I would prefer a sealed speaker....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have not heard them in the same room and with the same equipment, so cannot make a real comparison. As I wrote, I would prefer a sealed speaker....

And that is the key! :) All else is guesswork.

CharlesL

Jun 3, 2014
Good review. I have listened to the Q3, S3 and S5 in the same room, and I share most of the observations. I would only add that the midrange is very very nice. It is for me the part of the speaker which stands out.
I completely agree with his thoughts on difference between ported and sealed bass. I lived for 20 years with ported designs (Cabasse, Triangle, Infinity IRS, Usher, Wilson...), but once I switched to a sealed system (EA MM3), it was impossible for me to switch back to ported. Ported bass gives a pleasing sound, impressive... but now I always hear the lack of linearity of ported bass, which smears the mid range transparency, and decreases definition of the bass itself.

Among the 3 speakers above, my choice is still the Q3 (I listen nearly exclusively to acoustic music: jazz, classical, voices). Less tolerance to bad sources, but more definition and transparency. And even cleaner and more transparent bass than the S series.
Between the S3 and S5, it is really a question of budget and room size. Their sound is very similar. In a good size room, the S5 does a better job at filling the room. It has more impact in the bass, which is quite normal with 10" drivers giving 60% more membrane surface... If I would listen to a lot of electronic music or rock, I would take the S5 - but both are excellent speakers.

I have listened to the Q3 (also with the S5) multiple times at the dealers' and at my friend's home. I have my S5 for over a year now. I agree with your characterization of the sound of the Q3 and the S5 in general terms. I would add that for some large scale classical orchestral works, I prefer the sound picture projected by the S5, being able to capture wide dynamic scale in a slightly more convincing manner with a more solid low end support, though the Q3 also never disappoints in these aspects.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for posting the link nfnc. That was a good read. Ryan has certainly provided a vivid picture of what makes the S3's tick. I thought it was an honest review and was balanced on the strengths and limitations of this model. His observations pretty much echo my own experience running S5's and Stillpoints. Though as Ryan said, the S3 is not a perfect speaker, but what it does well it does very well and is SOTA in its price class.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Great post.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Still...the review suggest that the S3 bass suffers from the same evil as the Q5: it does not "breathe" enough. I have not heard the S3 but I did hear the Q5. The funny thing was that the Q3 had no bass issues at all. Neither did the Q7 hahaha

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Still...the review suggest that the S3 bass suffers from the same evil as the Q5: it does not "breathe" enough. I have not heard the S3 but I did hear the Q5. The funny thing was that the Q3 had no bass issues at all. Neither did the Q7 hahaha

It is all room / system dependent. I heard the S3 in a small room with big pass labs amps and was looking for the hidden subwoofer. Heard the S5 with tubes in a large room and the bass missing in action.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
It is all room / system dependent. I heard the S3 in a small room with big pass labs amps and was looking for the hidden subwoofer. Heard the S5 with tubes in a large room and the bass missing in action.

Yes, is possible. Was not the case with the Q5 though. The strange inability to "rock" was apparent on two occasions, in two very different rooms. You are right however, it still can be possible. The relevancy has to come from a reviewer who listens to all speakers in the same room and then states: this is different from what I normally experience. I don't know if this was the case here. And we are not even talking about preference here...which is, as we all know, very personal.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
From what I heard, no one complainted about the S3's bass response at The Audio Salon's recent Magico event:
S3 AS.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I don't understand how the Q3 or 7 can breath anymore than the Q5. The are all un-ported speakers. I am sure setup correctly, the Q5's kicks butt.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I don't understand how the Q3 or 7 can breath anymore than the Q5. The are all un-ported speakers. I am sure setup correctly, the Q5's kicks butt.

That is why I said "breathe". It is the sense of a deep decay in sound, more of a feeling than a sound. Hard to explain if you don't feel it. But, as I said before in so many words, not everybody feels the need to experience this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing