Constellation Audio Taurus/Pictor vs Luxman M10x/C900U for Magico S3 mk II speakers

Polyrhythm9

Nov 25, 2023
New York
Hello audio super enthusiasts!

I am looking for opinions on an amp/preamp combo for Magico S3 Mk 2 speakers please:

Desired Sound:

- fast amp with plenty of detail and clarity

- transparency (of course)

- excellent treble extension/airy

- excellent sound staging

- good tonal colors.

Anyone have experience with these pairings? Are there other amps/preamps I should also consider? (music taste is progressive rock, fusion, jazz , female vocalists)

thank you!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Have M-10X and Esoteric Grandioso C1X solo driving S3 MkII's (prior to selling the speakers pursuant to an upgrade). This amp pretty much meets what you seem to be looking for. It, along with the pre, replaced a Gryphon Diablo 300, and have delivered a more refined sound, especially in the upper registers, without a loss in dynamics. Excellent amp.

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
I am looking for opinions on an amp/preamp combo for Magico S3 Mk 2 speakers please:
I have been using Bladlius ASK integrated to drive Magico M3. It's outstanding. I'm sure it will do justice to S3 as well. For the money it's hard to beat.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A client runs his M3s with Pictor+DC Filter/Taurus. They drive the M3s with ease. Vivid full range presentation. Taurus amps punch above their weight class IMO Very, very underrated.

Reactions: GuyB

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Ref my post #2 above, I had three preamps in my system before settling on the Esoteric Grandioso C1X solo: ARC Ref 6 SE, Pass XP-32, and the Constellation Pictor with filter. From an SQ standpoint, I'd rank these three in inverse order. In my system, my music, my ears, the solo is beats all of them, especially in tone and refinement. (It probably doesn't hurt that my source is an Esoteric SACD player.)

Polyrhythm9

Nov 25, 2023
New York
GSOphile- I am understanding your ranking correctly in that:

1. Esoteric C!X solo
2. Constellation Pictor
3. Pass XP-32
4. ARC Ref 6E

jbr7

May 19, 2020
I don't have Magico speakers. I do have the Constellation Taurus stereo amp and the Pictor preamp, including the optional DC filter. I can recommend them without reservation. I listen to all types of music and the detail and immediacy of the music emanating from my speakers continues to astonish me. However, like everything else, what sounds good to me may not sound as good to you. I guess that's what makes this hobby so interesting.

Reactions: GuyB and bryans

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing