Room Dimentions

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I am constructing a room of dimension 14D x 19W x 10H for stereo listening am I going correct as per the ratio? or should I change the dimensions I plan to use the long wall Placement for my speakers and diffuse the rear wall of my sitting couch. pl help.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I am constructing a room of dimension 14D x 19W x 10H

That okay, but changing the 19 foot dimension to 17 or 18 feet would be a little better. More here:

Graphical Mode Calculator

I plan to use the long wall Placement for my speakers and diffuse the rear wall of my sitting couch.

I suggest setting up the other way, with the room longer front to back rather than wider side to side. That way you won't have a wall so close behind you, which also gives better bass response. Diffusion on that wall will help, but it helps even more if the wall is farther away.

--Ethan

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Thanks Ethan but i need a 10ft. gap between speakers and 3ft from the side wall so I feel that long wall should be good.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I'm with Ethan on this one. I had a 13 x 21 x 8.5 room and originally setup on the long wall. Sound was good, but the listening position was right up against the wall. Setting up on the short wall did force the speakers closer together, but the overall presentation was much better with more stable bass response and more stable soundstage. Sure, the soundstage effect wasn't as wide, but it was much more realistic overall. This arrangement also allowed me to get the speakers farther out into the room.

Current room is smaller (12 x 19 x 8.5) and I have the speakers on the short wall. The room is well treated with bass traps in the corners and behind the listening position as well as absorption at the first reflection points and front wall. Sound is excellent.

As an aside, I don't know if diffusion is the proper treatment for the area behind your listening position as you need some distance between your ears and the diffuser for the effect to work. Absorption would likely be a better choice.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am constructing a room of dimension 14D x 19W x 10H for stereo listening am I going correct as per the ratio? or should I change the dimensions I plan to use the long wall Placement for my speakers and diffuse the rear wall of my sitting couch. pl help.

In my opinion it will depend on the the type of speakers you have. When I had MBL 111f's they sounded much better on the long wall as compared to the short and my dimensions are similar to what you propose. Some speakers work nicely with near-field listening.

Jim

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Add me to the Ethan fan club on both points.

Near-field listening may not correct the room modes Ethan is trying to split by getting 19' further away from 2 x 10'. A close rear wall can impact more than bass depedning upon how reflective it is and what the frequencies are relative to room size and treatments, listener position, and speaker postion.

There are all sorts of rules of thumb and even more esoteric calculations, but setting room dimensions in prime ratios is not a bad place to start...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Prime ratio guy here as well. I have no problems with long wall placement for as long as the loudspeakers are designed with wide and even off axis response. At 14D you can easily get a 8 or even 9 ft triangle. That is squarely midfield. Pluses are the distance ratios from speakers to rear and side walls, added length of travel of reflections from the side walls. The minus is the reflection from the rear wall, which can be treated in such a way that it traps not just the first but second reflections as well. Either way, I'd still treat the ceiling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing