Sonus Faber Guarneri Series Or Similar Speakers vs Audio Note In Small Room???

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Has anyone switched from either SF or similar speakers which are placed out into the room, to Audio Note speakers placed in corners or vice versa? If so, can. you kindly share your reasons and results?

I ask because my dedicated listening room is 11' w X 13' L and while I'm quite pleased with my pair of Guarneri Homage, I am curious about AN because corner placement would give me a bit more floor space. The Guarneri Homage are approximately 4.5' from the front wall. Arranging a home audition of Audio Note speakers would be difficult and costly at best, so I ask my questions primarily out of curiosity. I have no intention of selling the GH's regardless.

Thanks.

Last edited:

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Since no one has responded yet, I'd like to revise the topic to this: Has anyone gone from stand-mount monitors which must be placed at least a few feet from the front wall to speakers that are designed to go either up against or very close to the front wall? Examples: Larsens, Audio Note, Ohm, etc. I'm particularly curious about Larsen and Audio Note. Budget under $10,000K.

If so, can you share your thoughts? My primary electronics are now CJ Classic 62SE controlled by a McIntosh C22 current version. Thanks.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
In this WBF where heads roll on misinformation :oops: ha! allow me -- firstly I own the SFGHomages and I feel I can honestly state I have NOT heard any Audio Note speaker that will surpass the SFGH's in any domestic setting--quantifying that observation re Bass output -the ANote's have lower bass but I find it one note and lacking detail.

The Serblin SFGHomages throw a disappearing act plus sonic layering and soundstage width when properly placed virtually like no other standmount out there. I'd zip the wallet and savour what you own to enjoy --the AN's will not satisfy with the same degree.
My opinion :rolleyes:

BruceD
P.S. If you are using the excellent Cardas setup instruction for Rectangular room with the GH's--Unfortunately I found it does not work with the Speaker--why?-I haven't fathomed that yet!-- I set mine up staring with that system as written but moved both units to achieve my optimum preferred listening. Good luck.

YVMV

BruceD

Reactions: Lagonda

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@BruceD,
Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate it.
Our GH's will stay in the family "forever." When I first acquired them, even without critical room placement, I thought they sounded much more like 'stats than a box speaker -and I still do.

I never thought I'd ever even see a pair "live" let alone own them.

The Cardas system has never worked well for me except to some extent with Magnepans.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
In this WBF where heads roll on misinformation :oops: ha! allow me -- firstly I own the SFGHomages and I feel I can honestly state I have NOT heard any Audio Note speaker that will surpass the SFGH's in any domestic setting--quantifying that observation re Bass output -the ANote's have lower bass but I find it one note and lacking detail.

The Serblin SFGHomages throw a disappearing act plus sonic layering and soundstage width when properly placed virtually like no other standmount out there. I'd zip the wallet and savour what you own to enjoy --the AN's will not satisfy with the same degree.
My opinion :rolleyes:

BruceD
P.S. If you are using the excellent Cardas setup instruction for Rectangular room with the GH's--Unfortunately I found it does not work with the Speaker--why?-I haven't fathomed that yet!-- I set mine up staring with that system as written but moved both units to achieve my optimum preferred listening. Good luck.

YVMV

BruceD
Mark your ideal speaker placement for listening, and move the Sonus Fabers into the corner when not playing. I move my Cremona monitors out of the way all the time, they are not that heavy. I also move a coffee table and a sofa out of the way every time i use my large listening room, but i am nuts of coarse ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: BruceD

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@Lagona
I've moved the GH's more times than I care to count. Now that I've found what I figure is at least "good enough" placement, I'm content to sit back and listen. I've had Cremona Auditor M's and the GH's plus stands are a bigger bother to move. For the same reason I can no longer pull trees out of the ground single handedly. "Things Just Ain't (quite) What They Used To Be". ;)

The GH's are here to stay. I consider myself quite fortunate to own such a pristine late model year pair.

• Haha

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
@Lagona
I've moved the GH's more times than I care to count. Now that I've found what I figure is at least "good enough" placement, I'm content to sit back and listen. I've had Cremona Auditor M's and the GH's plus stands are a bigger bother to move. For the same reason I can no longer pull trees out of the ground single handedly. "Things Just Ain't (quite) What They Used To Be". ;)

The GH's are here to stay. I consider myself quite fortunate to own such a pristine late model year pair.
I don't mind looking at Sonus Faber speakers, even in the middle of the room, most of them are beautiful, i even bought my 80 year old mother a pair Cremona floorstanders, she loves them and get compliments from everyone that enter her home. :)

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't mind looking at Sonus Faber speakers, even in the middle of the room, most of them are beautiful, i even bought my 80 year old mother a pair Cremona floorstanders, she loves them

Lovely gesture - but did your mother want speakers or was that for you when you visit her

I don't mind looking at Sonus Faber speakers, even in the middle of the room, most of them are beautiful, i even bought my 80 year old mother a pair Cremona floorstanders, she loves them and get compliments from everyone that enter her home. :)

You are now escalating the audio debate to My mother's audio system is better than your mother's audio system

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lovely gesture - but did your mother want speakers or was that for you when you visit her

You are now escalating the audio debate to My mother's audio system is better than your mother's audio system
She wanted a nice system, i bought her Sonus Faber and Bow Technology CD player and integrated directly from d Bo Christensen the guy who also designed early Primare gear, i just love his designs, but did not have room for more gear myself :rolleyes: I rarely listen to music at her home, she is normally to busy talking to me, but she sits down and listens quite a lot after she got the system.:p

• Love

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
She wanted a nice system, i bought her Sonus Faber and Bow Technology CD player and integrated directly from d Bo Christensen the guy who also designed early Primare gear, i just love his designs, but did not have room for more gear myself :rolleyes: I rarely listen to music at her home, she is normally to busy talking to me, but she sits down and listens quite a lot after she got the system.:p

so you are the son of a digital parent?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
so you are the son of a digital parent?
Mom has always been a analog girl, bought the best Technics TT and large Akai reel to reel before anyone else. But her eyes are not for turntables anymore :confused:

• Love

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Mark your ideal speaker placement for listening, and move the Sonus Fabers into the corner when not playing. I move my Cremona monitors out of the way all the time, they are not that heavy. I also move a coffee table and a sofa out of the way every time i use my large listening room, but i am nuts of coarse ! :rolleyes:
Umm!-- yes well wisdom of thought there Lagonda :rolleyes: but being of independent means and getting long in the tooth -partaking even the slightest attempt to slide move, a 109 Ib two part object, in my case is a definite no no--appreciate the write tho;).

As I fly Solo my listening area is contained and sonically satisfying as setup-no coffee table/ racks just drapes / Persian Rugs and original art without glass on walls with some ASC TT's doing their thing:).

Gotta stop the mental placement confusion sometime and just enjoy the music--no?

Safe Listening to your good self and fellow SFGHer Paolo!

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing