Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Perhaps Ron having his own system again will encourage Kedar to do the same.:)

I guess the golden question is does any system encourage me to get one or to procrastinate further? :p

Reactions: Ron Resnick

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I guess the golden question is does any system encourage me to get one or to procrastinate further? :p
Now that you missed out on Bill's Swings, I predict a looooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg phase of procrastination at casa Kedar ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Is that procrastinating about a move? I thought you didn't have the space.

Besides, you seem to have considerable fun enjoying your Audio Gadfly role, flitting across the globe dispensing judgement on other people's systems, way to much to actually own one. :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is that procrastinating about a move? I thought you didn't have the space.

Besides, you seem to have considerable fun enjoying your Audio Gadfly role, flitting across the globe dispensing judgement on other people's systems, way to much to actually own one. :p

Yes it's about the space, but it is true that most will never be able to enjoy gear as much in their own home as they would do across the community. I realized quickly to separate music listening from gear nervosa. In fact when I buy gear it gets shipped from audiophile to audiophile to compare to their gear, like my current Allnic phono

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes it's about the space, but it is true that most will never be able to enjoy gear as much in their own home as they would do across the community. I realized quickly to separate music listening from gear nervosa. In fact when I buy gear it gets shipped from audiophile to audiophile to compare to their gear, like my current Allnic phono

Perhaps you could organize bus tours - like seeing the homes of the uber wealthy in Rhode Island.

Audiophile Rooms of Greater Boston, The Horns of Milan, High Bling in Hong Kong, etc. (All of course with worthy restaurants along the way.) Or,. for those who don't travel well, starting an exchange or Audiophile Bourse - you get to hold the liability money - one guy sends out his H-7000V, the other his Atma-Sphere MP-1, each goes back in three weeks along with a brief write-up. You handle the translations and the blog.

Woofer and Tweet

Feb 15, 2017
Burbank, California
Perhaps you could organize bus tours - like seeing the homes of the uber wealthy in Rhode Island.

Audiophile Rooms of Greater Boston, The Horns of Milan, High Bling in Hong Kong, etc. (All of course with worthy restaurants along the way.) Or,. for those who don't travel well, starting an exchange or Audiophile Bourse - you get to hold the liability money - one guy sends out his H-7000V, the other his Atma-Sphere MP-1, each goes back in three weeks along with a brief write-up. You handle the translations and the blog.

We go to the Pasadena Showcase (southern CA) each, where they have several designers redo every room of a donated home for a month or so (the money raised goes to the junior philharmonic committee). The "entertainment" room is always of interest to me, but they never approach anything close to audiophile standards.

So your idea is on a solid foundation, and I'm all in; especially since you mention the worthy restaurants along the way ;-)

Reactions: tima

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

Yeah, I don't know if you are being sardonic, but this is an appealing idea.

It could be the "Be Ked For A Week Tour".

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
God, sounds like an episode of Black Mirror.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After finishing the grey-stained three-quarter inch thick walnut planks wall-papering the listening room walls, contraction from heat (I thought heat caused expansion) caused the seams between the planks to crack open by as much as 3/16”! :oops:

623652BB-0019-4ACE-A001-E8F45D4D96E6.jpeg

If I had known that heat would cause contraction, we would’ve kept the air conditioning running the whole time. :rolleyes:

Now the carpet installation is delayed as we try to figure out how to fill in the cracks, and close the gaps.

On a more positive note, the house finally has a front door.

38AD7306-996C-4715-B232-691D8BD28893.jpeg

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Front door looks great. Au natural, or is it going to be painted?

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you. The front door is staying the way it is now.

Most people seem to apply a dark stain to walnut, but we actually like the natural color of walnut.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Is it pretty dry where you live Ron. Don't you need door sill?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it pretty dry where you live Ron. Don't you need door sill?

What is a door sill? The design intention is to have nothing separating the outside concrete from the inside concrete.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
He means a threshold so water can't come in if it rains, something taller than the concrete.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
He means a threshold so water can't come in if it rains, something taller than the concrete.

Ah, thank you. I don’t know.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes this is what I mean. Rain can come at 45 degree angle and water will spill pass the gap between the door and floor.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron, It looks like you are making progress. Congratulations, though I am sorry to read about the panels contracting. Dry heat sucks the moisture out of the wood, so it shrinks. AC can do the same.

I like the idea of a continuous surface between the indoors and outdoors. Is there a slight slant down for the concrete outside the front door? The overhang below the roof line might help a little bit preventing the rain from getting close to the front door but if it’s windy, Tang has a point. Rain water could creep in under the front door, but if it is only concrete inside, that should not be a huge issue unless there is a lot of water. I'd make sure the bottom of the door is sealed so that water does not damage it. You could also put some kind of a sweep on the bottom edge of the front door that is not visible and would prevent water from creeping into the front hallway.

I guess there’s lots of advice from fellow members and it is not always about speaker typology. ;)

EDIT: Looking more closely at the door, it does seem as though there is a sweep at the front edge of the bottom of the door for dust and perhaps moisture. Perhaps you will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the concern, gentlemen. I appreciate the thought. I am concerned about water damage to that walnut wood front door as well.

Here is the reply from the contractor:

“The concrete will be sloped to deflect the water. Plus we have slot drains.
The door is sealed per the spec given and should be rather resilient to the elements. It will however like any exterior woodwork need maintenance.”

Reactions: Folsom and PeterA

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
After finishing the grey-stained three-quarter inch thick walnut planks wall-papering the listening room walls, contraction from heat (I thought heat caused expansion) caused the seams between the planks to crack open by as much as 3/16”! :oops:

View attachment 59950

If I had known that heat would cause contraction, we would’ve kept the air conditioning running the whole time. :rolleyes:

Now the carpet installation is delayed as we try to figure out how to fill in the cracks, and close the gaps.

On a more positive note, the house finally has a front door.

View attachment 59951
wow Ron - that is a huge shrinkage - likely not at all related to heat but loss of moisture - was the timber properly kiln dried prior to installation. It is hard to imagine the relative humidity in the external air being that much lower than conditioning ( normally exposing conditioned spaces to exterior causes expansion in timber but you have pretty low humidity there)

Are you sure this did not slowly happen over a long period, air conditioned or not.
It is good practice to stack timber in conditioned space for a while prior to installation to stabilise moisture content - not sure if that happened in this case

It is a real shame - good luck with repairs

Phil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing