Experience with Torus All-in-One 12KVA Power Conditioner "Chemistry" w/ MSB Components

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Hi all,

Was interested in hearing forum members experience utilizing this Torus Power Conditioner, and in particular with MSB components. For the last three years, it has served as the electrical/power source for my dedicated listening system. From it I run three dedicated / isolated 20 amp circuits that power the system described in my signature below. I had blindly assumed that it was providing plenty of power and headroom for my gear vs. impeding its performance. That was until a couple weeks ago when a local MSB dealer paid me a visit and immediately suggested that I grab a cheap 30 foot extension cord from my garage, plug all my components into it (specifically, an MSB S202 amp and Shunyata Denali (that conditions power for my sources)) and then plug said cheap 16 gauge extension cord into a random general purpose power receptacle in my listening room. Low and behold, the compression and congestion in my system disappeared and became much more extended, dynamic and effortless. With that said, before reconfiguring my power configuration, which would likely entail bypassing the Torus All-In-One panel and placing the dedicated circuits in a standard sub panel, I'd value input from dealers/members who have experience with the Torus All-in-One panels...were they a net positive or negative to the sound, and in my particular case, could other issues exist, such as a poor ground that could be contributing to the impairment of sound quality? Obviously, I'm hopeful that I can continue to keep the All-in-One in my "power path" but not at the expensive of sound quality.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: dcathro

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Torus or any other filter has to be placed at close proximity of the audio setup. So close that component power cords have to be connected directly to the outlets of Torus/filter. It is a must. Dedicated line has to be before Torus not after. That’s the only way to minimize negative effects like compression. The big part of your problem is the result of this situation. I never noticed any negative effects of Torus but I didn’t try it at home. Eventually a little bit of compression may still exist cause it’s inevitable with transformer based filter/conditioners.

The best is to run dedicated solid core cables from meter to the receptacles back of the setup. No multi stranded wire can be good enough. Again solid core is a must.

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Torus or any other filter has to be placed at close proximity of the audio setup. So close that component power cords have to be connected directly to the outlets of Torus/filter. It is a must. Dedicated line has to be before Torus not after. That’s the only way to minimize negative effects like compression. The big part of your problem is the result of this situation. I never noticed any negative effects of Torus but I didn’t try it at home. Eventually a little bit of compression may still exist cause it’s inevitable with transformer based filter/conditioners.

The best is to run dedicated solid core cables from meter to the receptacles back of the setup. No multi stranded wire can be good enough. Again solid core is a must.
Thank you, mtemur. As you likely inferred, the Torus AIO is not a standard in rack power conditioner, it is a massive breaker panel (like an Equitech) that has 24 isolated breakers and a large 12KVA transformer. I’ve included its product description below. The three dedicated circuits that I run from the Torus AIO to my listening room are 8 gauge solid core 120 feet in length romex that pigtail into short cryro’d romex that terminate into top of the line furutech outlets into which my 200 watt S202 amp and Denali Shunyata connect. i cannot shorten the length of the romex runs. Think the best that I could potentially do is place a sub panel right before the Torus AIO that would feed directly from the main 600 amp electrical panel that is connected to the meter. If you wouldn’t mind, please take a look at my current electrical power configuration in the sketch attached. Will illustrate what I’m currently working with.

thanks again!

———————-

TORUS AIO PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

The Torus Power All-in-One (AIO) provides a comprehensive approach to whole system power conditioning.
The stand-alone electrical panel has two sections. The top section is pre-wired with 24 industrial grade 20A bolt-in breakers, which are fed by robust 1 ¼” x ¼” all copper buss bars. Advanced surge suppression is provided. Clean, isolated power is supplied to the breakers by a Toroidal Isolation transformer mounted in the lower section of the panel.
The AIO uses a separately derived equipment ground (from the isolated ground) making troubleshooting ground loops much easier, and providing an extremely quiet noise floor. Models are rated up to 100Amps, with 240 V or 208 V inputs provided.
The AIO was developed for the professional recording studio industry by Arthur Kelm of Ground One in California, and is now widely used in discriminating consumer and professional applications.

SPECIFICATIONS:​

• Chassis panel: Board
  • Input voltage: 240 V
  • Output voltage: 120 V or 240 V
  • Output current: 104A at 120 V or 52A at 240 V
    • Power: 12500 VA
  • Frequency: 50/60 Hz
  • Output breakers 24 X 20A
  • Weight: 282 lb
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 20 x 8 x 74 in

Attachments

• 45535180-A7A3-493F-8142-3C5C766F74F6.jpeg
    45535180-A7A3-493F-8142-3C5C766F74F6.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
If you wouldn’t mind, please take a look at my current electrical power configuration in the sketch attached. Will illustrate what I’m currently working with.
I’m not an electrical engineer but I still recommend running a dedicated line (solid core) directly from main breaker board (preferably from meter) to Shunyata power conditioner and skipping Torus. IMHO it will be the best option for uncompressed dynamics. Additionally, skipping Shunyata together with Torus and connecting dedicated line to a group of receptacles might enable better sound. You need to try this IOT decide whether or not using Shunyata but Torus must be skipped in this current situation. There can not be a dedicated line or long runs of cable after a filter or transformer like Torus. This is how it should be IOT limit it’s impact on compression.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing