Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
*Subject to change in the next ten minutes

So there might be an unexpected twist at the end of the movie...like a Dartzeel amp+pre.

Tang:cool:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is always possible, Tang. :D

My other amp of interest is ARC REF 250 SE.

I am settled on the phono stage and line stage with six boxes of Aesthetix.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I want to start with (1) plain drywall on the exterior of the walls, (2) absorbent drapes and absorber panels behind the listening position (which will be very close to the rear wall), (3) the absorbent drapes will actually cover in a square “U” shape the opening at the rear third of the left side wall and the opening at the rear third of the right wall — as well as the rear wall, and (4) I want to experiment with absorption panels versus SMT diffuser wings at the first reflection points on the side walls.

Very close? Hopefully at least a few feet... sitting right next to the back wall doesn't work well ime.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm sure he'll be fine, you just didn't bold absorbing materials and SMT diffusers...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm sure he'll be fine, you just didn't bold absorbing materials and SMT diffusers...

Haha... it won't matter though, you can't have your head too close even if there is acoustic treatment on the back wall. It smears fine detail pretty badly. It doesn't take a ton of space for things to clear up though, just a couple ft makes a big difference. I'd go for a 3-4ft min if possible.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is always possible, Tang. :D

My other amp of interest is ARC REF 250 SE.

I am settled on the phono stage and line stage with six boxes of Aesthetix.

Did you consider the Aesthetix Altas Signature or the Eclipse?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Haha... it won't matter though, you can't have your head too close even if there is acoustic treatment on the back wall. It smears fine detail pretty badly. It doesn't take a ton of space for things to clear up though, just a couple ft makes a big difference. I'd go for a 3-4ft min if possible.

The ears will be about 3.5 feet from the drapes/absorber panel covering the back wall.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Did you consider the Aesthetix Altas Signature or the Eclipse?

I love Jim White’s amplifiers and I think they are the answer to many speaker questions.

But I don’t want a solid-stage output stage driving non-Apogee ribbons (or electrostatic panels) . (I would totally use Atlases on Apogees! Atlas also is my standard recommendation for MBL speakers.)

Hey, Francisco, why aren’t you happy and proud of me that I am very seriously considering an amplifier whose tube generated output current is further amplified by transistors?

* Alieno LTD 250

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And why not Pandora and Mephysto?

If I wanted solid-state they would be at the top of my list (along with Vitus). I don’t prefer solid-state amplifiers on non-Apogee ribbon drivers or on electrostatic panels.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Hey, Francisco, why aren’t you happy and proud of me that I am very seriously considering an amplifier whose tube generated output current is further amplified by transistors?

* Alieno LTD 250

Because you called it an OTL! Call it an hybrid and I will congratulate you. :D

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I called the Alieno an OTL only because that is what the designer called it — before my digging found that technical description in Italian which revealed that it is not an OTL. (I could make a complicated and not entirely persuasive argument that it is a semi-OTL, but I am fine considering it not to be an OTL.)

The Alieno sits between a conventional hybrid amplifier and an all-tube amplifier. I would call it a hybrid or, somewhat convolutedly, a “semi-hybrid.”

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
CURRENT THINKING*

tonearms/cartridges

Certain: ZYX UNIverse Premium on NOS SME 2012R
Considering: Benz Micro LP-S MR on Graham Phantom Elite or Schroder LT

Amplifiers

Alieno LTD 250
AM Audio 833S Ultra
Jadis JA-200 Mk. II

*Subject to change in the next 24 hours

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
By the time you set up, Mike will have an SME next to the Durand on the same table. Christian will have the elite next to the SME on the same table. You can visit both. Then, when David comes over, he can get SME and the FR, and Mike can come with a Durand, so you will have a pretty good handle of what each can do in your system. You can then invite Steve Dobbins with a Schroeder LT and compare to the winner of the above three.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
By the time you set up, Mike will have an SME next to the Durand on the same table. Christian will have the elite next to the SME on the same table. You can visit both. Then, when David comes over, he can get SME and the FR, and Mike can come with a Durand, so you will have a pretty good handle of what each can do in your system. You can then invite Steve Dobbins with a Schroeder LT and compare to the winner of the above three.

Guaranteed that they will all sing like Sirens and Ron is the winner :)!

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That I agree, he can keep all of them, but he wants only one. So he will be the loser as he will let 3 go.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is very interesting to hear how much quieter the whole space "sounded" with this blue jeans insulation installed:

blue jeans.jpg

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Oh my goodness that floor, I love this!
Ron,as you may know a lot of homes built in California pre 1980 had no insulation any where.
We had insulation blown in all external walls and also an internal wall between the living spaces and bedroom half of the house.
This internal wall just happened to be the wall I had my speakers on.
Besides the thermal gains and outside noise blocking gains, the audio gains were like getting a whole new system.
We went from being able to here every single noise outside to only hearing emergency vehicles sirens.
The sound quality of general conversation went up 200%.
And the A/C compressor went from running 24/7, to cycling proper. Electrical bill went down over $300.00 a month in Summer.
The best way I can describe the insulation is it looked like a cross between dryer lint and shredded cotton clothing.
I was not intentionally going after sound gains, but more after staying cool in the summer time.
It was a huge win win.
Great to see progress!

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's looking lovely

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's a wonder it isn't more popular. It isn't exactly some wild expensive material. It is sort of funny that this pic of all of them, actually shows how it is a tall space. Only downside is you can't see the JPS wiring now ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing