Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I an sure I would like the way they sound. But the blow-up risk is too high for me.

They probably will not work on your speakers either

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
They probably will not work on your speakers either

Just to be clear I was suggesting the current Tenor amplification. It should stable and able. I would also think DDK is on the money regarding the best match being SS for the speakers Ron selected.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It would be nice if Ralph could chime in.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
There are always the eye gouging, hair ripping audiophile arguments over autoformers with OTL.

Yes, adding a transformer. However, they are not air gapped, floating output transformers with separate windings. They offer some speaker protection by conducting DC to ground. They are a single winding with different taps for impedance and/or voltage control. They do not have the large windings ratios of typical single ended or push pull transformers, usually a max of 4:1.

Autoformers can bump speaker impedance to 16 ohms, where OTL amps thrive. A local audiophile uses Speltz autoformers with his Atma-sphere OTL amp, and his setup sounds great.

I decided to add them to my VFET amps to bring the low impedance ribbons to 8 to 10 ohms. As far as I can tell, they are NOT transparent, because they make things sound better. Higher, wider, deeper soundstage, all suggestion of janglies gone. The dynamics seem to be wider and more linear.

If you associate janglies with detail, that might be disappointing, but I perceive even more detail because I can look deeper into the soundstage and music and the images are larger. They make me doubt the "wisdom" of current dumping DC amps. However, I would imagine their use would always be situation specific.

The VFET amps already sounded great, so bumping them up was nice.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There are always the eye gouging, hair ripping audiophile arguments over autoformers with OTL.

Yes, adding a transformer. However, they are not air gapped, floating output transformers with separate windings. They offer some speaker protection by conducting DC to ground. They are a single winding with different taps for impedance and/or voltage control. They do not have the large windings ratios of typical single ended or push pull transformers, usually a max of 4:1.

Autoformers can bump speaker impedance to 16 ohms, where OTL amps thrive. A local audiophile uses Speltz autoformers with his Atma-sphere OTL amp, and his setup sounds great.

I decided to add them to my VFET amps to bring the low impedance ribbons to 8 to 10 ohms. As far as I can tell, they are NOT transparent, because they make things sound better. Higher, wider, deeper soundstage, all suggestion of janglies gone. The dynamics seem to be wider and more linear.

If you associate janglies with detail, that might be disappointing, but I perceive even more detail because I can look deeper into the soundstage and music and the images are larger. They make me doubt the "wisdom" of current dumping DC amps.

The VFET amps already sounded great, so bumping them up was nice.

Which OTLs are you referring to? Don't think you can club them

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Speltz site has info:

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/

Of course, it will depend on the particulars of the amp/speaker matchup.

Mcintosh has been using autoformers forever on their transistor amps. There are yays and nays, but the yays seem to outnumber the nays for those that have actually owned and heard them in the Mcintosh equipment.

I won't debate their use or non-use except to cite my own experience with my own amps, and refer to the other info on the web.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Next Neveruary at the rate our house repairs are proceeding. But thank you for asking.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It would be nice if Ralph could chime in.

I have been corresponding with Ralph. He has been very helpful and instantly responsive to my inquiries. He seems like a great guy!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes he is :)

What's the hold up on the repairs Ron?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It has been very start and stop. Weeks of rain slowed things down.

These things usually take longer than the most pessimistic estimates.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
It has been very start and stop. Weeks of rain slowed things down.

Next Neveruary at the rate our house repairs are proceeding. But thank you for asking.

We're all pulling for you Ron; best of luck kicking their ass into gear and getting past the rainy weather (uncharacteristic for your zipcode)!

May it all finish much faster than how they are currently progressing!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree. I've been to Ron's house at the start of all of the construction. Nonetheless IMO Ron's house is amazing with a view that only mere mortals can dream of. Can't wait to see and hear it when done

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for your kind wishes, SCAudiophile! I appreciate it!

Thank you, Steve! You will be the first to hear it!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh that's right!! I read it has been raining there and that the drought is officially over. I'm pulling for you too Ron and I can't wait to visit you guys over there in southern CA.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Oh my, ain't that the truth. My room is done, acoustic curtains finally hung, vinyl cabinet near completion. What is the hold-up — a dozen recessed LED ceiling trims. Ordered wrong color temp originally, returned early December. Then the lighting store guy orders the wrong part... those are out of inventory until late January and not until they arrived did we learn he'd order 2" instead of 4". Back they go. Friday I go to finally pickup the replacements. Oh oh, wrong part number in their system resulted in the wrong parts arriving once again.

The best of plans and project schedules can't account for and predict the effects of f-ups and knuckleheads.

I won't put my gear in the room as I still need to work the perimeter to install the trims. Knocking sheetrock mud and dust down onto the gear seems silly. At this point it'll be done when it is. Some parts you cannot control.

And then there was my original intention to not do this during the winter rainy season. Epic fail on that!

Best of luck Ron. Patience is indeed a virtue.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Oh my, ain't that the truth. My room is done, acoustic curtains finally hung, vinyl cabinet near completion. What is the hold-up — a dozen recessed LED ceiling trims. Ordered wrong color temp originally, returned early December. Then the lighting store guy orders the wrong part... those are out of inventory until late January and not until they arrived did we learn he'd order 2" instead of 4". Back they go. Friday I go to finally pickup the replacements. Oh oh, wrong part numer in their system resulted in the wrong parts arriving once again.

The best of plans and project schedules can't account for and predict the effects of f-ups and knuckleheads.

I won't put my gear in the room as I still need to work the perimeter to install the trims. Knocking sheetrock mud and dust down onto the gear seems silly. At this point it'll be done when it is. Some parts you cannot control.

And then there was my original intention to not do this during the winter rainy season. Epic fail on that!

Not only that. I would not want the contractors anywhere near my audio gear. Just image the potential for damage and what they might think about it. The need to touch, etc. Must be frustrating to have to reorder the same item so many times. Best of luck.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your kind wishes. I am glad you are down to the final bits!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Oh my, ain't that the truth. My room is done, acoustic curtains finally hung, vinyl cabinet near completion. What is the hold-up — a dozen recessed LED ceiling trims. Ordered wrong color temp originally, returned early December. Then the lighting store guy orders the wrong part... those are out of inventory until late January and not until they arrived did we learn he'd order 2" instead of 4". Back they go. Friday I go to finally pickup the replacements. Oh oh, wrong part number in their system resulted in the wrong parts arriving once again.

First off I guaranty you and Ron that the wait is worth it

Having said that I am breathing with relief that my build out went so well. Start to finish for me was 6 weeks and all without glitch

Bob what did Bonnie say your RT60 was as I know this is always a big thing for her

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Oh that's right!! I read it has been raining there and that the drought is officially over. I'm pulling for you too Ron and I can't wait to visit you guys over there in southern CA.

Make sure you have some extra time when your here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing