Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I have discovered that with the iPad-as-streamer system I am using presently there is some noise glitchy-ness audible through the speakers when playing with the iPad. No like-y that!

Also, after a week of listening, I think I am hearing — and this is totally speculative — some kind of digital sameness or homogenization across recordings. Perhaps this is because the current iPad set-up is imparting — or importing — some kind of noise?

I think everyone here would be surprised if you weren't hearing this.

Speaking in very low level generalizations. iPhone have a bias towards music playback separate from voice calling. iPad are media oriented - watching movies and tv shows - and graphically oriented to make the most of web content.

How is this gradated approach going over on your other site?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Albright guys I think we can do a little better than Rons warning stick. :oops:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This thing looks like it was in a time capsule!

54AD8ACC-CCEA-44B8-8111-C57FB10CBC19.jpeg

8EAAE390-3FD7-4382-8A85-865F487824B3.jpeg

21045F9E-A505-4135-A9D0-55C229AC4BE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It’s pretty wild to have sound quality jump by material increments. Going back to CD, now, has ameliorated, I think, much of the digital homogenization I was hearing from the iPad as streamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
  • Haha
Reactions: PeterA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ron, I know it is silly question. Why do your speakers appear to be mounted backwards?:confused:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why do your speakers appear to be mounted backwards?:confused:

I am afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about. Magnepans are dipole speakers. The subwoofers are firing forward.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree with the consensus view that, all else being equal, it is easier to get good digital sound from CD than it is to get good digital sound from streaming.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I agree with the consensus view that, all else being equal, it is easier to get good digital sound from CD than it is to get good digital sound from streaming.
who's consensus view?

i'd agree it's easier to throw down any CD player and plug it in compared to setting up a streaming process. but beyond that it's not anything clear. and hirez streaming has advantages over CD's above the modest level. and mostly the recording is key, with streaming offering infinitely more of them. new music = streaming. CD = past.

nothing consensus about it.

if you have 25 or 50 or 100 CD's, and that is your musical world. then sadly i agree with you.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Ron, does “easier” mean “less expensive?”

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about. Magnepans are dipole speakers. The subwoofers are firing forward.
Ok I put my glasses on. I thought the speaker was one piece with the panel mounted on the front. I see the speakers is seated atop the woofer. I told you it was a silly question.
I agree with the consensus view that, all else being equal, [emphasis supplied]it is easier to get good digital sound from CD than it is to get good digital sound from streaming.
Pioneer Elite vs Lampizator Baltic 3. You might want to reserve that opinion.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ok I put my glasses on. I thought the speaker was one piece with the panel mounted on the front. I see the speakers is seated atop the woofer. I told you it was a silly question.

Pioneer Elite vs Lampizator Baltic 3. You might want to reserve that opinion.

I don’t understand, Greg. I’m sure the Pioneer as transport going into the Baltic 3 will sound better than the Pioneer as CD player by itself, no?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
i'd agree it's easier to throw down any CD player and plug it in compared to setting up a streaming process.

That’s all I’m saying. That is what the evidence here indicates.

Your construction is narrower and more accurate.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
who's consensus view?

i'd agree it's easier to throw down any CD player and plug it in compared to setting up a streaming process. but beyond that it's not anything clear. and hirez streaming has advantages over CD's above the modest level. and mostly the recording is key, with streaming offering infinitely more of them. new music = streaming. CD = past.

nothing consensus about it.

if you have 25 or 50 or 100 CD's, and that is your musical world. then sadly i agree with you.
Agreed! What consensus is that? is this the consensus of those who havent tried or tried with something like a laptop?
Wait I tried a turntable it sucked I guess all turntables suck LOL

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don’t understand, Greg. I’m sure the Pioneer as transport going into the Baltic 3 will sound better than the Pioneer as CD player by itself, no?
The answer to your question is yes.
I assume you would be streaming from the streamer you just ordered. That shows the pitfall of making an assumption. I further assume you have three options.
1. The Pioneer Elite as a standalone unit.
2. The Pioneer/Baltic combo
3.Innous Pulse mini/Baltic
A further assumption. It will be 1& 2 vs 3.
I predict 3 will be the winner.
I have previously stated the Pioneer Elite may be limited by the quality of available software. Another assumption. ;)
BTW for $99 I want that cd player.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Are you going to redefine "consensus" as being the "point of view of a few WBF members "?

In this hobby (high end stereo audio) nothing is equal - it is why some people consider it the hobby of the small differences.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Are you going to redefine "consensus" as being the "point of view of a few WBF members "?

I thought it is a consensus that

CD transport —> DAC

is easier than

wi-fi - ethernet - switch - streamer/GUI —> DAC

Sorry if I was incorrect.

Reactions: GMKF

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

CD player —> DAC

is easier than

I helped a friend setting a Blue Sound node streamer (around $500) with my KSL DAC in his system a few days ago. We connected a RJ45 cable to his house net and SPDIF between the streamer and the DAC. Five minutes work and IMHO, a better sound than the already very good ARC CD8.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

CD transport —> DAC

is easier than

Ron, I took your post to be in that it sounded better, not that it was easier. Some of my Boston area friends prefer the sound of physical CDs to streaming in their systems. At least they did a couple years ago when I last talked to them about it. You can discuss with Ack and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing