Record Brushes

much more efficient zapping before the record is placed rather than when its placed, very effective IMHO.
matakana, would you be so kind as to explain your process? (I’m picturing Meadowlark Lemon spinning an lp on one hand while zapping it with the other) Many thanks, good sir.

• Haha
Reactions: Audire and bazelio
It's hard to tell, as it all depends on how much static is on the record in the first place.

Reactions: Audire
matakana, would you be so kind as to explain your process? (I’m picturing Meadowlark Lemon spinning an lp on one hand while zapping it with the other) Many thanks, good sir.
Sure, as iam ambidextrous maybe easier for me, I take the lp in my right hand holding the outer edge and label , then with the zapper in my left hand I move it around the lp several times, until the zapper light goes off.
I know this is the most effective way because when i have played and remove the lp, no static when removing.
If I do it when the lp is on the platter and then zap it , when I remove the lp, there is static .
BTW once I have zapped I then use the hunt eda record brush I have had for yonks.

Sure, as iam ambidextrous maybe easier for me, I take the lp in my right hand holding the outer edge and label , then with the zapper in my left hand I move it around the lp several times, until the zapper light goes off.
I know this is the most effective way because when i have played and remove the lp, no static when removing.
If I do it when the lp is on the platter and then zap it , when I remove the lp, there is static .
BTW once I have zapped I then use the hunt eda record brush I have had for yonks.
Yeah. It is more effective judging by the electrostatic meter also. I should run some controlled experiments with the meter, measuring static before and after putting it on the platter. Zapping on vs off the platter, etc. I'll get around to it.

I live in a super cold dry climate and have carpeting in my room. Tried everything over the years to keep static and dust away. Nothing worked. The IME1 is expensive but so worth it! Records stay clean now and zero static when lifting off the platter. The removal of dust and static pops aside, your records will sound better for other reasons. There is a sense of ease now present that you didn’t even know was missing before.

Why don't people with dry rooms use humidifiers. I have 2 in my house and use them all winter. If you have forced air you can get a computer controlled ducted humidifier that will keep your house precisely where you want it.

I bought the Hart SS today.

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Why don't people with dry rooms use humidifiers. I have 2 in my house and use them all winter. If you have forced air you can get a computer controlled ducted humidifier that will keep your house precisely where you want it.

I have geothermal heat with a whole house humidifier. Impossible to keep the humidity up to any reasonable level in a Michigan winter.

I have geothermal heat with a whole house humidifier. Impossible to keep the humidity up to any reasonable level in a Michigan winter.
Better go digital during winter

i use this on the central heating radiator in the room, you just have to refill water. I keep the humidity above 55% then there is much less static charge.ok not comfortable like an automatic but works great.

klassische-befeuchter-fuer-die-heizung-aus-keramik.jpg

When you are about to clean a record mounted on a turntable before play, it can be useful to know if and where are dirt/dust/particles on the record. Of course some of that can be obvious to the naked eye but you might be surprised at what you cannot easily see.

I use a small UV light to reveal what's on the record.

Alonefire SV003 10W 365nm UV Flashlight Portable Rechargeable Blacklight Flashlight Scorpion

There are others.

As one might expect it works best in a darker room.

DSC02028.JPG

DSC02023.JPG

You also can use this after cleaning a record once it is dry to see how your cleaning efforts turned out.

Fwiw, when I use a record brush I use the Analog Relax Anti-Static Brush. I purchased this direct from the Analog Relax store in Japan. It is also available at a higher cost on Amazon. Imo, this is a superior brush to others I've tried. (I've tried quite a few.) Using it, many of the particles revealed under UV get wiped away. Bill Hart reviewed this brush on his Web site The Vinyl Press. Pricey, but it works well.

This information and other knowledges about record brushes and keeping records clean can be found in my DIY RCM thread. I will also point you to what I regard as the definitive work on record cleaning by Neil Antin, the 2nd edition of his authoritative compendium: Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records, which can be downloaded in PDF format at this link (scroll down.) He covers everything.

When you are about to clean a record mounted on a turntable before play, it can be useful to know if and where are dirt/dust/particles on the record. Of course some of that can be obvious to the naked eye but you might be surprised at what you cannot easily see.

I use a small UV light to reveal what's on the record.

Alonefire SV003 10W 365nm UV Flashlight Portable Rechargeable Blacklight Flashlight Scorpion

There are others.

As one might expect it works best in a darker room.

View attachment 87892

View attachment 87893

You also can use this after cleaning a record once it is dry to see how your cleaning efforts turned out
Are the waves on the record dust or an example of minerals and or soap left after cleaning.

Vintage 1980s table with vintage 80s Discwasher record brush. I actually find it quite effective.

View attachment 87882
I find the original Discwasher brush, the one with the unidirectional pile, more effective than any dry brush. I use the D3 fluid bottle filled with distilled water and run a thin line along the leading edge and distribute it into the pile with the heel of the bottle. It picks up more dust than any brush and doesn’t leave a static charge behind.

• Love
Reactions: PeterA
I find the original Discwasher brush, the one with the unidirectional pile, more effective than any dry brush. I use the D3 fluid bottle filled with distilled water and run a thin line along the leading edge and distribute it into the pile with the heel of the bottle. It picks up more dust than any brush and doesn’t leave a static charge behind.

I have the same experience although I do not use any fluid. The pile on my brush is angled so it is directional. I slowly roll the brush as I go around and it picks up everything and leaves no static. Then I just reverse the direction against my pant leg or something and wipe out all the dust. Works great.

Last edited:
Are the waves on the record dust or an example of minerals and or soap left after cleaning.

To my knowledge the answer is: none of the above, and what you see as 'waves' is not substance foreign to the record. It cannot be cleaned off. I speculate this is a result of the manufacturing process, stamping the vinyl puck, and the relative quality of the vinyl pellets in use. Vinyl quality and the availability of quality materials has varied considerably over time.

The white specks are dirt that can clean off.

Reactions: Kingrex and Audire

I had my HVAC man install a whole house humidifier for the longevity of my Montagnana cello as my house becomes very dry in our cold winter months here in Wisconsin.

The side benefit is that it helps tremendously with eliminating static electricity through out the house as well ;)

Best wishes,
Don

I had my HVAC man install a whole house humidifier for the longevity of my Montagnana cello as my house becomes very dry in our cold winter months here in Wisconsin.

The side benefit is that it helps tremendously with eliminating static electricity through out the house as well ;)

Best wishes,
Don
I don't know I can take a guy seriously who has a Golden. Poodles are considerate enough to not shed and i interfere with the family Vinyl experience.

Attachments

• 20180309_083508.jpg
    20180309_083508.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 13

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing