Do we need another high-end turntable? The Ars Machine M1

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Hello All. Our two-year search to add an analog replay system to our product offering is over. When we first saw the Ars Machinae M1 turntable and the companion Ligne tonearm, we fell in love with its purity of design. Then we heard it and knew we had to bring the product to North America.

Ars Machinae [ars_m?-ki-nai] comes from Latin and means “the art of creating a machine.” Ars Machinae represents the mechanical and industrial vision of Ph.D Mechanical Engineer, Ralf Wölfel and product designer Alexandra Krug. Entirely built and assembled in Germany, the M1 design has only one objective: hearing the music, not the machine. The M1 includes numerous mechanical innovations focused on the areas closest to the sampling process, including the bearing, platter, tonearm, motor drive, isolation base, and record clamp. Quoting Ralf, "Absolute silence from the machine is the goal of any record playback system."

Within the various methods of Ars Machinae’s Refine Technology, the Company believes in the M1 they have created an approachable vinyl playback system ready to take on the finest “cost-no-object” designs.

Highlights of the BM1 include:

TONEARM/HEADSHELL
• The 12” arm uses an inner carbon tube and an outer tube of aged locally harvested wood to reduce unwanted resonances to inaudible levels.
• The bearing incorporates a “stabilized” unipivot design using a tungsten carbide bearing and handles like the best-pivoted designs.
• The bearing is guided laterally on a bushing made of graphite on the guide surfaces for the lowest possible friction.
• VTA adjustment is applied via a smooth tower-mounted control knob on-the-fly.
. The BM1 can accommodate up to three tonearms.

PLATTER
• The platter consists of five discrete layers, each exhibiting different natural frequencies for superior damping.
•The Materials include graphite, mineral-filled acrylic, and aluminum.
• A multipoint bolting pattern securing the layers optimizes stiffness and damping.

BEARING (sealed oil bath design)
• The platter bearing is a completely new design offering the advantages of inverted and non-inverted designs and is impervious to environmental factors.
• The bearing axle is hardened stainless steel, coated with a diamond-like carbon coating.
The bearing bushing is graphite, guaranteeing low friction and long service life.
• The bearing housing is also specially designed for the avoidance of vibrations
• The platter is supported vertically by a ball made of high-performance ceramic from the aerospace industry.

MOTOR DRIVE
• The made motor is a specially treated 2-phase synchronous motor produced in Germany by Carlo Klein.
• The speed is linked to the frequency of the AC voltage via the number of pole pairs, which offers high torque and exceptional speed regulation.
• The motor bearing is polished to the highest possible level for noiseless performance and long service life.

Record Clamp (also available separately)
• The damping effect is at the limit of what is technically possible
• Contained within the housing is a patented, molecularly heavy powder representing another unique aspect of Ars Machinae Refine Technology
. The optional isolation platform has three layers, including damping powder for additional vibration isolation, and fits easily on most support shelves.

Pricing is 38,000 USD and includes the M1 turntable, 12" Ligne tonearm and integral record weight.
The isolation base is available in two sizes (small and large) at additional cost.

ars-bearing.jpg Ars-latest-production.jpg BM1_035_WebSquare.jpg BM1_071_web.jpg BM1_054_web.jpg ars-m1-record-clamp-04-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I‘m undecided on the looks, certainly a sleek, sexy, elegant design yet somehow disjointed. (To my eye) I find tables with platters suspended over smaller diameter bases somehow odd looking. Kuzma tables come to mind. No way a comment on the sonics, only the aesthetics.

Reactions: Anteo

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I‘m undecided on the looks, certainly a sleek, sexy, elegant design yet somehow disjointed. (To my eye) I find tables with platters suspended over smaller diameter bases somehow odd looking. Kuzma tables come to mind. No way a comment on the sonics, only the aesthetics.

Hi Bob, good hearing from you! Another design people felt was iconic with a support base smaller than the platter was the iconic Simon York.

PS I love the industrial design of your funky Bayz speaker:)

Attachments

• SimonYork-2.jpg
    SimonYork-2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Isnt he Basis Trancedence like that as well.Thats a killer table IMO

Reactions: gleeds

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Isnt he Basis Trancedence like that as well.Thats a killer table IMO
Yes, Elliot it is. I had the pleasure of hearing the Basis Transcendence with the Air Tight at Robert Harley's recently and it was the finest analog I have ever heard.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yes, Elliot it is. I had the pleasure of hearing the Basis Transcendence with the Air Tight at Robert Harley's recently and it was the finest analog I have ever heard.
I had the same experience and I agree. It wasnt the best system but it was the best LP playback I have heard

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I had the same experience and I agree. It wasnt the best system but it was the best LP playback I have heard
BTW the ARS looks very cool IMO even though I m not buying any more TT

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hello All. Our two-year search to add an analog replay system to our product offering is over. When we first saw the Ars Machinae M1 turntable and the companion Ligne tonearm, we fell in love with its purity of design. Then we heard it and knew we had to bring the product to North America.

Ars Machinae [ars_m?-ki-nai] comes from Latin and means “the art of creating a machine.” Ars Machinae represents the mechanical and industrial vision of Ph.D Mechanical Engineer, Ralf Wölfel and product designer Alexandra Krug. Entirely built and assembled in Germany, the M1 design has only one objective: hearing the music, not the machine. The M1 includes numerous mechanical innovations focused on the areas closest to the sampling process, including the bearing, platter, tonearm, motor drive, isolation base, and record clamp. Quoting Ralf, "Absolute silence from the machine is the goal of any record playback system."

Within the various methods of Ars Machinae’s Refine Technology, the Company believes in the M1 they have created an approachable vinyl playback system ready to take on the finest “cost-no-object” designs.

Highlights of the BM1 include:

TONEARM/HEADSHELL
• The 12” arm uses an inner carbon tube and an outer tube of aged locally harvested wood to reduce unwanted resonances to inaudible levels.
• The bearing incorporates a “stabilized” unipivot design using a tungsten carbide bearing and handles like the best-pivoted designs.
• The bearing is guided laterally on a bushing made of graphite on the guide surfaces for the lowest possible friction.
• VTA adjustment is applied via a smooth tower-mounted control knob on-the-fly.
. The BM1 can accommodate up to three tonearms.

PLATTER
• The platter consists of five discrete layers, each exhibiting different natural frequencies for superior damping.
•The Materials include graphite, mineral-filled acrylic, and aluminum.
• A multipoint bolting pattern securing the layers optimizes stiffness and damping.

BEARING (sealed oil bath design)
• The platter bearing is a completely new design offering the advantages of inverted and non-inverted designs and is impervious to environmental factors.
• The bearing axle is hardened stainless steel, coated with a diamond-like carbon coating.
The bearing bushing is graphite, guaranteeing low friction and long service life.
• The bearing housing is also specially designed for the avoidance of vibrations
• The platter is supported vertically by a ball made of high-performance ceramic from the aerospace industry.

MOTOR DRIVE
• The made motor is a specially treated 2-phase synchronous motor produced in Germany by Carlo Klein.
• The speed is linked to the frequency of the AC voltage via the number of pole pairs, which offers high torque and exceptional speed regulation.
• The motor bearing is polished to the highest possible level for noiseless performance and long service life.

Record Clamp (also available separately)
• The damping effect is at the limit of what is technically possible
• Contained within the housing is a patented, molecularly heavy powder representing another unique aspect of Ars Machinae Refine Technology
. The optional isolation platform has three layers, including damping powder for additional vibration isolation, and fits easily on most support shelves.

Pricing is 38,000 USD and includes the M1 turntable, 12" Ligne tonearm and integral record weight.
The isolation base is available in two sizes (small and large) at additional cost.

View attachment 117209 View attachment 117212 View attachment 117214 View attachment 117215 View attachment 117216 View attachment 117218

Really beautiful design Gary!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
How much does the platter weigh?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Reactions: Lee

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
We all have a story of how we got into high-end audio. When I was ten, I helped my father build Eico audio kits. Later, he took me to my first audio show, where we met Saul Marantz. We heard his 7C, preamp model 9 power amps, and SL-12 linear tracking turntable through JBL Paragons and experienced music presented in a way I have never forgotten! Fast forward 63 years, and I now own a system that is as exciting and enjoyable as it was all those years ago.

With my recent purchase of WestminsterLab electronics, Lampizator Horizom DAC, and Taiko server and their new switch powering my dream speakers, Von Scheweikert Audio Ultra 9’s, all that remained was to replace my Bergmann Odin linear turntable. To be clear, I loved the Bergman; however, my proximity to the Atlantic Ocean was not hospitable to the sensitive air-bearing drive and tonearm system.

Given my positive experience with Gary Leeds of Hear This and his WestminsterLab Electronics, I inquired about his latest acquisition of the Ars Machinae M1 turntable and Ligne 12” tonearm. Gary then confirmed with the table chief designer, Ralf Woeful, that the turntable’s sealed bearing and tonearm design would be impervious to moisture, so I placed an order. To my surprise, Gary arranged for Ralf to fly from Germany to assemble and install his creation. I guess being the first US customer has its benefits! I would add this was not the first time Gary had gone to great lengths to ensure I was 100% happy with my purchase.

First, the M1 is a piece of art, not in the expected audio jewelry sense, but in its build quality and clarity of purpose. Regardless of its physical beauty, the analog magic present was undeniable as soon as the stylus (a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum) hit the grooves. I can share the usual accolades one does with new audio acquisitions, but it is simpler to say this is the best analog I have ever heard. With the M1, I do not hear the noise I associate with vinyl playback. Backgrounds are eerily silent, with details and dynamics to die for. In addition to its low noise floor, the image is deep and rock solid, allowing me to stop analyzing the sound and get lost in the recording.

One of my most challenging discs is a direct-to-disc record from Realtime Records called The Bells of St. Anne, a torture disc because the extreme low bass creates huge groove undulations that typically throws the cartridge out of the groove. The ARS Machinae easily navigated the record and delivered the majesty the recording is known for.

Another favorite is Domnerus Antiphone Blues with Sjokvist At The Organ In Sponga Church, Sweden. I AM SO CAPTIVATED when I play this record on the Mi that I want to listen to it multiple times. I also love listening to a limited edition English copy of Thriller, especially Vincent Price’s eerily captivating voice on the Thriller cut, making it sound like he is in the room.

Every link in my system is now first-rate, including my beloved CMS Ultra TT footers placed throughout the system. I am in awe of digital when played through my Horizon/Taiko Extreme and switch front end, but the Ars Machinae M1 has reminded me that vinyl remains where my heart is and a medium I cannot live without.

Thank you, Gary and Ralf, for solving my problem and bringing vinyl back into my life! It will give me years of pleasure as I continue to reunite with my love of records and the sound of analog playback.

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I love a great story of a happy audiophile. I believe there is something deeply soothing about dropping the needle — for many of us it resonates deeply into our personal history with music. There is a ritual digital just doesn’t include (and which many digital lovers are happy to omit) and the little ritual of getting the record out of the sleeve, placing it, dropping the needle engages us in a unique way.

Happy for you.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and gleeds

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
We all have a story of how we got into high-end audio. When I was ten, I helped my father build Eico audio kits. Later, he took me to my first audio show, where we met Saul Marantz. We heard his 7C, preamp model 9 power amps, and SL-12 linear tracking turntable through JBL Paragons and experienced music presented in a way I have never forgotten! Fast forward 63 years, and I now own a system that is as exciting and enjoyable as it was all those years ago.

With my recent purchase of WestminsterLab electronics, Lampizator Horizom DAC, and Taiko server and their new switch powering my dream speakers, Von Scheweikert Audio Ultra 9’s, all that remained was to replace my Bergmann Odin linear turntable. To be clear, I loved the Bergman; however, my proximity to the Atlantic Ocean was not hospitable to the sensitive air-bearing drive and tonearm system.

Given my positive experience with Gary Leeds of Hear This and his WestminsterLab Electronics, I inquired about his latest acquisition of the Ars Machinae M1 turntable and Ligne 12” tonearm. Gary then confirmed with the table chief designer, Ralf Woeful, that the turntable’s sealed bearing and tonearm design would be impervious to moisture, so I placed an order. To my surprise, Gary arranged for Ralf to fly from Germany to assemble and install his creation. I guess being the first US customer has its benefits! I would add this was not the first time Gary had gone to great lengths to ensure I was 100% happy with my purchase.

First, the M1 is a piece of art, not in the expected audio jewelry sense, but in its build quality and clarity of purpose. Regardless of its physical beauty, the analog magic present was undeniable as soon as the stylus (a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum) hit the grooves. I can share the usual accolades one does with new audio acquisitions, but it is simpler to say this is the best analog I have ever heard. With the M1, I do not hear the noise I associate with vinyl playback. Backgrounds are eerily silent, with details and dynamics to die for. In addition to its low noise floor, the image is deep and rock solid, allowing me to stop analyzing the sound and get lost in the recording.

One of my most challenging discs is a direct-to-disc record from Realtime Records called The Bells of St. Anne, a torture disc because the extreme low bass creates huge groove undulations that typically throws the cartridge out of the groove. The ARS Machinae easily navigated the record and delivered the majesty the recording is known for.

Another favorite is Domnerus Antiphone Blues with Sjokvist At The Organ In Sponga Church, Sweden. I AM SO CAPTIVATED when I play this record on the Mi that I want to listen to it multiple times. I also love listening to a limited edition English copy of Thriller, especially Vincent Price’s eerily captivating voice on the Thriller cut, making it sound like he is in the room.

Every link in my system is now first-rate, including my beloved CMS Ultra TT footers placed throughout the system. I am in awe of digital when played through my Horizon/Taiko Extreme and switch front end, but the Ars Machinae M1 has reminded me that vinyl remains where my heart is and a medium I cannot live without.

Thank you, Gary and Ralf, for solving my problem and bringing vinyl back into my life! It will give me years of pleasure as I continue to reunite with my love of records and the sound of analog playback.
I just wanted to chime in that I was able to spend some time with the ARS Machine on 3 different occasions Russ' home, and found it to be an outstanding table. Aside from being a very attractive and well reasoned and engineered machine, the sound of his analog setup was up there with the best analog I've heard.

I'm primarily a digital man, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit my exposure at Russ' place has my gears turning....

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Very cool table. Build quality was top notch at THE Show 2023. A lot of thought went into the design and it shows.

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I agree, what a gorgeous design. It's just the sort of high artistry and engineering that I look to associate with my own work, @gleeds. We've been all-digital at the shows in the past, but as we look to pair with analog sources at future events, it would be a privilege to pair a masterpiece like this with our loudspeakers.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Lee et al. Below is some internal detail on the multi-layer platter design of the Ars Machinae multi-layer platter technology. The photo with the tool shown allows the user to perform prece leveling of the platter on any surface.
Thanks Lee! The platter is approximately 20 pounds.
Lee, asked a question on platter weight. I would add the bearing and platter base sub-assembly is 25 pounds and the optional isolation base another 26.

M1-platter-2.png

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I am in awe of digital when played through my Horizon/Taiko Extreme and switch front end, but the Ars Machinae M1 has reminded me that vinyl remains where my heart is and a medium I cannot live without.
Great write-up, thank you for sharing your experience and a brief part of your journey.

What you wrote very much resonated with me, as I too have a Taiko Extreme (+ Nagra HD DAC X). When I got the Extreme I wrote that I was “done with vinyl”… but then I upgraded the Brinkmann Bardo (which was very nice, but did not provide the sense of realism and scale that digital provides through the Extreme), to the Nagra Turntable, I too was reminded of how impressive analog sounds on a world-class TT. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Extreme and it’s very enjoyable, but when you hear a great vinyl record on a top turntable, you realize that analog can’t be beat!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Of course! $38,000.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing