Realism in audio

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
There is always a lot of talk on forums about subjective Vs objective; listening Vs measurement and there seems to be a recent spate of it here (although maybe that's just my perception as I haven't visited in a while?).

As a hopefully more refreshing way for people to air their views in this area (without bickering) I thought it might be useful to gather people's thoughts/opinions about what they feel makes a more plausible audio scene (I'll use "realism" as shorthand) in their listening environment & what possible measurements could be used to evaluate this?

I'm not talking about the endless debate about how accurate the reproduction system is vis-a-vis what has been recorded - instead I'm borrowing this phrase "plausible audio scene" from Linkwitz :
How do I evaluate a stereo loudspeaker system and its setup in a room for accuracy? What do I mean by accuracy, when I know that the recording did not capture the air pressure variations at the ear drums of a person with identical upper body physique to mine? Assuming that my own ear drum signals had been recorded, what does accuracy mean when I play back these signals over two loudspeakers and know that they are not accurately reproduced at my ear drums? Each ear receives direct sounds from left and right loudspeakers and reflected sounds from various directions in the room. My brain tries to make sense out of the superimposed streams of air pressure variations at my ear drums, looking for cues and patterns to segregate the streams. The underlying processes have been described by Theile (1980) via his Association Model and by Bregman (1990) in his book Auditory Scene Analysis - The Perceptual Organization of Sound.

The auditory processing of the ear signals occurs in two stages. In the first stage the location of the sound sources is determined using cues from the HRTF and head movement and without changing perceived spectral content. The second stage determines the Gestalt of the sound sources, the Auditory Scene in space and over time.

The first stage responds very quickly and uses primarily high frequency transients in the superimposed sound streams at the two ear drums. It serves as an important survival mechanism in conjunction with stereo vision. The second stage recognizes patterns in the superimposed streams, compares them to memory and makes sense of them. This takes time and involves learning as the perceived auditory scene is rarely static and often evolves as different sources illuminate their physical environment. When they get reflected back to the listener they tell about the Gestalt of the Auditory Scene.

Now rather than speakers, my focus over time has been on power supplies & in my experience improvements in this factor alone have resulted in major improvements in "realism". This has not only been in DACs & amplifiers but also in computer transports (others have mostly done these mods). Almost every time an improvement is made in the PS in these devices (or selected parts of these devices), a similar improvement in the sonics is evidenced - a more solid sound stage, a more relaxed listening experience, more body & richness to the sound, essentially a more plausible audio scene. The old adage is true - we don't recognise certain types of distortion until we hear the absence of it.

What I take from this is that it seems stability of power supplies is a crucial element & the most crucial part may well be the grounding & not necessarily the power. I've noted sound stages collapse when ground noise has been introduced. I've noted apparent detail being increased with ground loops only to discover it was false detail (distortion). I've noted improved realism with PS treatments to computers that act as transports. An increase in realism in moving from the stock PS to a linear PS to multiple individual linear PS powering the 5V, 3.3V 1.8V feeds to using batteries (with linear PS trickle charging) to independently powering the USB port (even though the external USB DAC is self-powered & makes no use of the VBUS 5V power USB line).

All these areas where improved PS has resulted in improved performance (even though in theory, they shouldn't) has led me to a tentative conclusion that noise & stability might be the determining factor in all of this. This is by no means conclusive & I'm open to changing my mind but I see very low level noise fluctuations as the possible explanation for the above observations. BTW, I also see this as the possible explanation for how software playback operates. I don't know of any psychoacoustic studies that have been done into the level at which noise modulation is detrimental to our perception of the audio scene?

The final thing to say is that measuring such low level noise in a dynamic music signal (& this is the correct place to measure it) not in a static, repeating signal is very difficult. Once that can be done then how this noise is modulated over time is the next difficult measurement, I believe.

Thoughts?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I tend to see musical realism as sounding "natural" to me. I found my previous Boulder 1060 provided a large improvement in realism and effortlessness over my previous Classe amp; basically encompassing most of the improvements you mentioned. A large part of that naturalness and effortlessness owed to the massive custom-wound dual mono potted "floating" psu. My current amp has all those virtues, but also the body and richness you mentioned. The overall gestalt is I am drawn into the music and want to listen for longer. The Vitus' main PSU is certainly over-built and heavy, and uses a UI-core transformer of Vitus's design. Spending more on an amp does not guarantee competent engineering or better sound, though it does buy a bigger and better psu and better bits, and as you said if you can do that you're half way there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As a non-techie, I can only add my listening experience. After I isolated the 2 power supplies of my Zanden digital...3 different people noted a substantial increase in solidity, detail and also a greater density of tone in notes. The edges became sharper but with Zanden, never overtly sharp or artificially sharpened.

This was just the power supplies. We ended up isolating the Transport and the DAC itself...and interestingly isolating the Transport helped LEAST of all...most likely due to the extreme build of the Transport.

Coming back to power supplies, I can also say that changing tubes to Mullard 1950s also added a really big amount of punch and solidity which surprised a lot of people who have heard Zanden in the past...but not with NOS tubes like these. Plus each one has tube dampers on them to further help isolate. I have listened to Esoteric X-01SE, Audio Aero and a few others in my system...and the bass power and propulsive snap is imho definitely greater with my Zanden. So that is something to me. And I can tell you, it was surely NOT this way when I first had my Zanden. Beautiful, but a bit fuzzy and warm and edges were blurred gently. No more.

so if this is at all relevant to your query, I guess yes, for me, power supplies matter.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Thanks guys
Yes, power supplies are the foundation for all devices & make a difference.
It seems from your examples that a more stable (overspecced) PS reaps benefits
Not surprising in analogue but a bit more surprising in digital equipment. The individualisation & isolation of the various voltage supplies within the computer made a significant improvement in sound as did changing the software player. All of which I find very interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing