Using Power Conditioner to eliminate Noise carried over Ethernet

AkiKhan

Feb 28, 2024
Southern California
Good day folks. Its become another rainy day here in OC California.

This topic concerns the possibility of using the inputs for ethernet on power conditioners such as the Powerplant Premiere as a solution to eliminate unwanted noise. If I understand correctly, this is what the EtherRegen does?

I am contemplating the inclusion of a device such as EtherRegen, but it is a significant investment for me at the present. I do have a earlier generation PS Audio Powerplant, which to my ears, positively enhances the sound of my system in terms of clarity and dynamics. I plug the Powerplant into an Emotiva CM X2 conditioner, which is a very effective solution for dc offset. a/b‘ing the difference with and without the X2, I hear significant improvement most especially in bass performance when using it.

Has anyone tried using the noise filter for ethernet on their conditioner? It really would be excellent if I could get out of splurging on the EtherRegen or similar solution if I can. But I am planning for it all the same.

Thanks for guidance.

Republicoftexas69

I have a TeraDak T-S212 that runs on 110v and convert to fiber using SFP and media converter. DC power for media converter is through an LPS to eliminate any DC noise. I have an English Electric EE1 on the dirty side of the T-S212 to help clean up the signal. Hope this helps and welcome to WBF.

AkiKhan

Feb 28, 2024
Southern California
Thanks much for the welcome Republicoftexas69.

That’s a pretty remarkable setup.
Just briefly logged on to Kam Audio’s site for a glance at the Teradak T-S212. Affordable which is great. Looks well built too. Does this device convert ethernet to fibre optic? I see it has a re-clocker. And if I understand correctly you are using an aftermarket linear power supply to power the Teradak? I seethe EE1 is a Chord Company component and is a noise isolator. At $295 it is not too egregious .

so the chain would be; Modem - ethernet cable - router - ethernet cable - EE1 - ethernet cable - Teradak T-S212 - ethernet cable - Streamer - USB cable - DAC - Interconnects - integrated amp?

I am assuming the Teradak does the conversion from ethernet to fibre then back to ethernet inside the box? I can’t see a fibre optic Out / In port unless I am missing it?

Thanks

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

jpwelcher

Sep 24, 2021

Building on republicoftexas69 post, fiber optic cables do not carry electrical noise. A simple and cost effective way to reduce noise on an Ethernet cable is to use two fiber optic media converters back to back prior to your Dac or streamer. In this case the only electrical noise that will be introduced comes from the second media converter. This solution can easily cost less then $100 USD. As mentioned you can also use an Ethernet RF filter (see DX engineering). Be wary of any RF filter that does not specify frequency and DB attenuation.

Republicoftexas69

Thanks much for the welcome Republicoftexas69.

That’s a pretty remarkable setup.
Just briefly logged on to Kam Audio’s site for a glance at the Teradak T-S212. Affordable which is great. Looks well built too. Does this device convert ethernet to fibre optic? I see it has a re-clocker. And if I understand correctly you are using an aftermarket linear power supply to power the Teradak? I seethe EE1 is a Chord Company component and is a noise isolator. At $295 it is not too egregious .

so the chain would be; Modem - ethernet cable - router - ethernet cable - EE1 - ethernet cable - Teradak T-S212 - ethernet cable - Streamer - USB cable - DAC - Interconnects - integrated amp?

I am assuming the Teradak does the conversion from ethernet to fibre then back to ethernet inside the box? I can’t see a fibre optic Out / In port unless I am missing it?

Thanks
No the T-S212 is AC115v so no LPS needed for the 212, just for the Dedia Converter. Lots of threads here on this subject. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/fiber-vs-ethernet-sonic-differences.35196/

Reactions: AkiKhan

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Welcome to WBF. I am also in the OC. Like others have said the biggest bang for buck is converting to fiber optic between router and system. This creates a noise firewall. Even though my router is only 6 feet from my Lumin U1 streamer it was a huge improvement for less than a couple of hundred bucks. All available on Amazon.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the WBF. There are two advantages to using the ER.

The first is the ADIM (which is essentially a moat) that eliminates much of the signal born phase noise. The second is that you can use this device to hook up to a 10MHz clock to further improve the signal.

I could very well be wrong here but I do seem to recall that the Ethernet cable has no filtering, only surge protection on devices like that. If this is the case, then you are just adding extra connections and actually degrading the signal. FWIW.

Tom

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Good day folks. Its become another rainy day here in OC California.

This topic concerns the possibility of using the inputs for ethernet on power conditioners such as the Powerplant Premiere as a solution to eliminate unwanted noise. If I understand correctly, this is what the EtherRegen does?

I am contemplating the inclusion of a device such as EtherRegen, but it is a significant investment for me at the present. I do have a earlier generation PS Audio Powerplant, which to my ears, positively enhances the sound of my system in terms of clarity and dynamics. I plug the Powerplant into an Emotiva CM X2 conditioner, which is a very effective solution for dc offset. a/b‘ing the difference with and without the X2, I hear significant improvement most especially in bass performance when using it.

Has anyone tried using the noise filter for ethernet on their conditioner? It really would be excellent if I could get out of splurging on the EtherRegen or similar solution if I can. But I am planning for it all the same.

Thanks for guidance.
What are you trying to do? Put a power filter on your modem?

Reactions: Folsom

AkiKhan

Feb 28, 2024
Southern California
Tom, thanks much for your warm welcome. Good of you indeed. Okay, in referring to redundant connections, that does make sense. Unnecessary / additional wires in the signal path are something I should avoid, so I will put aside the idea of routing ethernet cable in and out of the conditioner, as it will probably not improve sound. Yes the EtherRegen is super compelling and makes a lot of sense. MOAT / ADIM makes a lot of sense to me. So does the idea of a fibre optical bridge that RepublicofTexas talked about. I am firmly convinced the raw ethernet connection is, in my case anyway, far from ideal. For starters, I am currently using Eero mesh, because the Spectrum modem and Nighthawk router are located at a significant distance away in the master bedroom. I will correct that and schedule Spectrum to come out and move the modem itself close by the A/system. I can plug ethernet directly into the router then, and consider the advanced options based on my budget. But I am committed to getting this done ASAP.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Since you mention cost constraints, you should consider a LAN isolator. Ifi makes on that you can get on Amazon for less than $100 (and return if you don't think its worth it in your system). If you hear an improvement with this, then you know there are more things you can do to improve your streaming including the power conditioner.

My post about the ifi LAN Silencer.

AkiKhan

Feb 28, 2024
Southern California
Hi Kingrex, on the back of my powerplant re-generator / conditioner are ethernet ports (in and out). I was initially considering pulling the conditioner out and rewiring ethernet to go through the filtering of the Powerplant.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

Hello and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the WBF. There are two advantages to using the ER.

The first is the ADIM (which is essentially a moat) that eliminates much of the signal born phase noise. The second is that you can use this device to hook up to a 10MHz clock to further improve the signal.

I could very well be wrong here but I do seem to recall that the Ethernet cable has no filtering, only surge protection on devices like that. If this is the case, then you are just adding extra connections and actually degrading the signal. FWIW.

To

Three solution to eithernet noise

I have the EE1 in front (dirty side) of my T-S212 works well.

Republicoftexas69

Hi Kingrex, on the back of my powerplant re-generator / conditioner are ethernet ports (in and out). I was initially considering pulling the conditioner out and rewiring ethernet to go through the filtering of the Powerplant.
Be careful.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

AkiKhan

Feb 28, 2024
Southern California
JPWelcher, thanks. Okay I think i understand the chain. Immediately following the ethernet filter, an ethernet cable feeds into a Eth to FO converter, which carries the signal via FO out to a FO to Eth converter where the ethernet cable out feeds the streamer?

jpwelcher

Sep 24, 2021
AkiKhan, In my system I have the Ethernet filter after the second fiber optic converter and just before the the streamer

Republicoftexas69

AkiKhan, here is my Digital Front End. This is for reference and mind you it cover my house going west to east.

Attachments

• Digital FEU.JPG
    Digital FEU.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 18

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing