Best SS amp for $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Hi. I am trying to find a used solid state amp for $200 max that achieves a smooth, fatigue and grain-free sound that is also reasonably transparent, with a clean, tight but realistic low end, and a good soundstage with palpable imaging as well.
I know this is a pretty daunting challenge, but I must try.

My primary source is a Micro-Seiki BL-51/Grace 707 II/TK7e setup with a transparent clone of an EAR 834.

My preamp is a PS Audio IVH which has both active and passive mode.

My speakers are a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11's (4Ohm,83dB).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Driving Acoustats , here ...

You can thank me later

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Driving Acoustats , here ...

You can thank me later

You seem to have missed my pricepoint, and my Acoustats are hybrids whose impedance hovers around 5.5Ohms, so not real difficult to drive as long as the amp is stable into 4Ohms, and has atleast 70 watts of output into 8Ohms.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
E4A7FAD9-A889-4CB3-9AAA-5EAF11C58AD5.jpeg Apology about missing your price point and i do know Acoustats pretty well , I think you understand ESL load less than you think , if quality means naught to hit 200.00 , tons of class D amps all over the internet ..

That would be the best u will hear your Acoustats below 3K -4K ..

Regards

Last edited:

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
View attachment 122003 Apology about missing your price point and i do know Acoustats pretty well , I think you understand ESL load less than you think , if quality means naught to hit 200.00 , tons of class D amps all over the internet ..

That would be the best u will hear your Acoustats below 3K -4K ..

Regards

I am well aware of the actual technical measurements of my speakers that Atkinson royally screwed up, but nonetheless stated was an easy load.

I am not interested in your Class D monstrosities! These are terrible amps for deaf people!

Last edited:

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I appologise if I am irritating anyone here. I have been getting nothing but a runaround for 4 days straight!

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Does anyone know what an Onkyo M-505 Ultimate Stereo Power Amplifier sounds like?

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
funny post from someone only wanting to spend a lousy 200 bucks !

perhaps a used Crown then ?

I spent $200 each for my speakers, turntable and phonostage. Why not an amp for this price.

If I were to buy a pro amp, it would be a BGW since the others sound like crap. But my preamp isn't really compatible with their 15K input.

Republicoftexas69

Not much, the runaround continues.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Try to find a used Odyssey Khartago stereo amp. New is $1K.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Does anyone know what an Onkyo M-505 Ultimate Stereo Power Amplifier sounds like?
Unlikely on this website but you probably already know that. You should try to find a website that caters to your price point because it certainly is not here. The "Cheap Audioman" Utube site should match your priorities. And then there is always the Gon.

Last edited:
Reactions: analogsa

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Unlikely on this website but you probably already know that. You should try to find a website that caters to your price point because it certainly is not here. The "Cheap Audioman" Utube site should match your priorities. And then there is always the Gon.

I hate to have to inform you of this, but the Ultimate Integra M-505 was a SOTA product made from '77 until '83, which was then replace by the Grand Integra M-510 in '84.

The is very much a high end amp!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Another Johnson

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I hate to have to inform you of this, but the Ultimate Integra M-505 was a SOTA product made from '77 until '83, which was then replace by the Grand Integra M-510 in '84.

The is very much a high end amp!
No worries. Just trying to help. Will not make that mistake again. Hope the caps are still good. I assume you know (you seem to know everything) that they do wear out over time and have to replaced.

And I would never take your information / recommendations seriousy anyway.

Reactions: Chops
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing