RCA Living Stereo - New Reissues - Analogue Productions (QRP pressed)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
You might be right if we compare original monos to original stereos. But comparing original to a well made reissue? I'm not so sure. Only a direct comparison would reveal the truth.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You might be right if we compare original monos to original stereos. But comparing original to a well made reissue? I'm not so sure. Only a direct comparison would reveal the truth.

I wouldn't put the reissues on a pedestal. They have some real issues too such as loss of information, ambience and just overall tape degradation.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just bought the 200g Clarity Vinyl of this:

View attachment 9951

It better be good! :)

It finally arrived and I will play it shortly, but I have a question. I am not sure of this is a 33 or 45 RPM pressing. No where on the Highfidelityla.com site does it mention the speed, not are there any markings on the jacket and vinyl as to what it is. The copy I have is definitely the 200-gram Clarity Vinyl, which I thought was 45RPM. Seems very odd this would not be indicated.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It finally arrived and I will play it shortly, but I have a question. I am not sure of this is a 33 or 45 RPM pressing. No where on the Highfidelityla.com site does it mention the speed, not are there any markings on the jacket and vinyl as to what it is. The copy I have is definitely the 200-gram Clarity Vinyl, which I thought was 45RPM. Seems very odd this would not be indicated.

if it's one disc, it's 33. the 45 was on 4 single sided discs.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
if it's one disc, it's 33. the 45 was on 4 single sided discs.

Thanks! It's one disc, so 33rpm. Still, would be nice if that were actually indicated.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I heard a couple vinyl test pressings briefly a few weeks ago. We're in for a treat!

Dre

I've listened to more of these excellent test pressings and they do sound wonderful. I have not heard them directly compared but these pressing stand on there own very nicely so far. I don't own many of the originals of these pressings. The ones that appeal to me musically will probably end up on my LPs to purchase list.

Dre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
www.elusivedisc.com is advertising that they've "found" some 45RPM 200g pressings of several Living Stereo titles. Just in case anyone is interested....

Lee

Thanks for nothing Lee! I'm now $200 poorer!

Bought these:

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Sarah MacLaughlin - Mirrorball
Peter Gabriel (various) - Big Blue Ball

and also, since I was there anyway:

Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart!

:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for nothing Lee! I'm now $200 poorer!

Bought these:

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Sarah MacLaughlin - Mirrorball
Peter Gabriel (various) - Big Blue Ball

and also, since I was there anyway:

Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart!

:D

Look at it this way...you're $200 of music RICHER! ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I hope these will be better than ORG (118) reissue of Prokofiev Love For Three Oranges Suite (Mercury SR90006) which is a complete disaster.

I agree, shallow and flat sounding with distortion caused by tape overload (ORG). The tape hiss is even more prevalent. We all agreed that the Classic Records 45 ruled the day by a large margin. Same thing with Dukes' Jazz Party, while good sounding with org, Classic's is a far better version.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree, shallow and flat sounding with distortion caused by tape overload (ORG). The tape hiss is even more prevalent. We all agreed that the Classic Records 45 ruled the day by a large margin. Same thing with Dukes' Jazz Party, while good sounding with org, Classic's is a far better version.

Why do you think that is so? Same engineer on both and Bernie made a number of significant changes to his mastering system.

As far as the new RCAs to top the originals, they must do four things in my mind:
1. No loss of information
2. Give us the wonderful string tone of the originals
3. Get the low end from the tapes that the originals lacked
4. Especially get the ambience and upper octaves that the CR lacked.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Why do you think that is so? Same engineer on both and Bernie made a number of significant changes to his mastering system.

I have no idea, but the sound differences were very clear to Bill Demars and myself. Even our friend Joe who is not that familiar with the music could hear it. Looks to me, ORG are not as good as Classic Records when we talk the same title and rpm. Also, I have yet to hear a shaded dog original sound better or even come close to a pristine Classic Records reissue at 45 rpm.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have no idea, but the sound differences were very clear to Bill Demars and myself. Even our friend Joe who is not that familiar with the music could hear it. Looks to me, ORG are not as good as Classic Records when we talk the same title and rpm. Also, I have yet to hear a shaded dog original sound better or even come close to a pristine Classic Records reissue at 45 rpm.

Guess we'll just have to disagree there for exactly the same reasons outlined above especially the string tone and sense of hall. (In fact pretty much all reissues lose that sense of space of the original.) I should also add and Witches Brew is the best example, that CR boosted the low end too much.

Just this weekend compared this Sibelius VC 45 rpm with the original shaded dog (10/11S) and again no contest. The 45 rpm was just plain boring.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Guess we'll just have to disagree there for exactly the same reasons outlined above especially the string tone and sense of hall. (In fact pretty much all reissues lose that sense of space of the original.) I should also add and Witches Brew is the best example, that CR boosted the low end too much.

Just this weekend compared this Sibelius VC 45 rpm with the original shaded dog (10/11S) and again no contest. The 45 rpm was just plain boring.

If you love shaded dog, you love record surface noise and pops. Shaded dog's that look NM play VG. VG doesn't work for me. NM or go home save for a VG+ mono record.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you love shaded dog, you love record surface noise and pops. Shaded dog's that look NM play VG. VG doesn't work for me. NM or go home save for a VG+ mono record.

Christian stop changing the subject. We were talking sound quality-period. And actually I was lucky and started buying the RCAs, Mercs 35 years or so ago so most are in good shape. Nowadays YMMV and agree if surface noise is an issue go with the reissue. Also perception of surface noise is a function of playback gear and electronics. For instance records that have no right to sound good do on linear tracking arms.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing