PCM to DSD...the new PS Audio DAC

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
And I believe neither does the Sonore exD and several others. I'm curious about the ifi iDSD too..but their literature
is hell to wade through.

The iDSD units (Nano and Micro) use Burr Brown DACs chips. One in the Nano and two in the Micro.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
`
The "jriver" link was updated as recently as this year - right in the "history".
The JRiver link is correct, but you are taking it completely out of context. When it says, "By default, DSD will be converted to PCM for playback" it means that this is the default setting in JRiver. Those that have DSD DAC's don't need to use the default setting and can instead bitstream as it says further down in the wiki: "It is possible to bitstream DSD to certain DACs. This bypasses the DSD to PCM conversion."

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The iDSD units (Nano and Micro) use Burr Brown DACs chips. One in the Nano and two in the Micro.

Here is what they say:

"Having a chipset able to play all formats would count for little if this was not all executed natively; without conversion from one format to another. Using trickle-down technology from AMR (who drafted the chipset code) to drive this Burr-Brown chipset, the original music format remains unchanged which is essential to attaining the zenith in high-end audio reproduction."

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The JRiver link is correct, but you are taking it completely out of context. When it says, "By default, DSD will be converted to PCM for playback" it means that this is the default setting in JRiver. Those that have DSD DAC's don't need to use the default setting and can instead bitstream as it says further down in the wiki: "It is possible to bitstream DSD to certain DACs. This bypasses the DSD to PCM conversion."

...Which is exactly what I have done...

This poster, while trying to prove a point, has quoted and linked out of context numerous times.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Well if you can get the PS Audio, I'll let you borrow the Lampizator.....

That's an interesting comparison. They had a setup like that for PCM recently at the SF Bay Area Head-Fi Meet up in Burlingame. DirectStream vs. Lampizator Level 5 over headphones.
The consensus from the attendees was the Lampizator was the "winner".

Too bad the DSD switch was broken on the Lampizator unit at the event. I would have liked to hear DSD downloads head-to-head DS vs. Lampi.
So far, both Bruce and Al indicate it's Lampizator over DirectStream. We will see what Ki has to say. The comparisons continue.... :)

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Here is what they say:

"Having a chipset able to play all formats would count for little if this was not all executed natively; without conversion from one format to another. Using trickle-down technology from AMR (who drafted the chipset code) to drive this Burr-Brown chipset, the original music format remains unchanged which is essential to attaining the zenith in high-end audio reproduction."

True. iFi does make a point that they have separate conversion paths/approaches when handling DSD and PCM files in the Nano and Micro.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
True. iFi does make a point that they have separate conversion paths/approaches when handling DSD and PCM files in the Nano and Micro.

So would this qualify as true "native" DSD output to analog? I have both these units on their way for review.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Thanks Mike. A link I have long referenced. I think the debate here is how DAC, Music Server, and File Player designers are implementing
their DSD solutions. There is no doubt that some have rushed to market hack jobs so as to stamp their products "DSD Ready" otherwise
they are DOA. Some of led the path to technically sound implementation, but there is much confusion.

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
First, I didn't quote the jriver link - I *provided* it to readers, as they can take what they want from it.

And no out-of-context on John Atkinson. A slight misquote - but it's the same thing in the end.

What happened here is an audio reviewer was caught repeating something that *wasn't* true. Anyone that actually reads the technical-white papers on this subject would not assume that (certain) products are "bypassing" PCM conversion, in playback.

I brought this up in a thread called "DSD-only DACs, a survey" over at Audio Asylum. The technical guru of AMR posted in response and supported the fact.

Read it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
First, I didn't "quote" the jriver link - I *provided* it to readers, as they can take what they want from it.

And no out-of-context on John Atkinson. A slight misquote - but it's the same thing in the end.

What happened here is an audio reviewer was caught repeating something that *wasn't* true. Anyone that actually reads the technical-white papers on this subject would not assume that (certain) products are "bypassing" PCM conversion, in playback.

I brought thisup in a thread called "DSD-only DACs, a survey" over at Audio Asylum. The technical guru of AMR posted in response and supported the fact.

Read it.

I did not get "caught" assuming anything. As Bruce pointed out, we all know there is more than one way to output DSD with a DAC, this was obvious.

The technical guru at AMR is the same fellow who designed the iFI products.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
First, I didn't quote the jriver link - I *provided* it to readers, as they can take what they want from it.

I brought this up in a thread called "DSD-only DACs, a survey" over at Audio Asylum. The technical guru of AMR posted in response and supported the fact.

Read it.

I would ask you this, are you a fan of DSD?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
In case anyone is interested, Art Dudley's DirectStream review will be in the September issue of Stereophile.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
In case anyone is interested, Art Dudley's DirectStream review will be in the September issue of Stereophile.

I will be very interested. Dudley is a great, and the review won't be stuffed with techno geek speak, a la JA, it will be mostly about pure listening. We all
know Art is a tube and vinyl guy, so for sure I am eager to read it.

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
Marc said, in response to me, that "it isn't true" that (almost all) SACD players transcode to PCM.

THEY ALMOST ALL DO.

It's not that there's "more than one way to output DSD" - it's the ONLY way - for technical reasons.

A key difference - but he never explained it this way...

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
tailspn please do not ruin my day; I love the forum conclusion reached that nearly all SACD/DSD is transcoded to PCM and also nearly all PCM DACs convert to SDM :)
So therefore we do not have "true" PCM or "true" DSD DACs :D
BTW not saying I agree with that but if we go by discussions on here that is the perspective/POV of quite a few it seems.
Thanks
Orb

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
According to the manufacturers, at least Cary, Playback Designs and Oppo will all decode DSD directly to analog without PCM conversion. I'm sure there are others, those are just some that have come up in recent discussions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing