Analyzing Music Database - PCM vs DSD

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Is there any software that will allow me to categorize my music database as DSD or PCM? I'm looking at new DACs for my second system and kind of want tro try out R2R. The problem is that many of those DACs don't handle DSD. I have no idea precisely what percentage of my music files are DSD but I'd guess 10-20% at least. It would be good to know precisely what is was. I don't think there is a way to get stats on what % is PCM and what % is DSD.

Thanks very much.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is there any software that will allow me to categorize my music database as DSD or PCM? I'm looking at new DACs for my second system and kind of want tro try out R2R. The problem is that many of those DACs don't handle DSD. I have no idea precisely what percentage of my music files are DSD but I'd guess 10-20% at least. It would be good to know precisely what is was. I don't think there is a way to get stats on what % is PCM and what % is DSD.

Thanks very much.

1. Roon allows you to create a focus which can vary by bit depth. This would allow you to select from only PCM if you wanted to.

2. Many software playback programs can downsample DSD so your DAC an play it.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
1. Roon allows you to create a focus which can vary by bit depth. This would allow you to select from only PCM if you wanted to.

2. Many software playback programs can downsample DSD so your DAC an play it.

Thank you. What I'd like to see is how much of an issue a NOS DAC would present to me. I'm not sure what percentage of my database is DSD. I THINK it's less than 20% but would love to know.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thank you. What I'd like to see is how much of an issue a NOS DAC would present to me. I'm not sure what percentage of my database is DSD. I THINK it's less than 20% but would love to know.

You can also convert your DSD files to PCM so you can still listen to them with an NOS DAC.

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I found it in Roon. Thank you very much. Turns out 30% of my 1500 album library is DSD. Substantially more than I thought.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing