PCM to DSD...the new PS Audio DAC

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Learn. Do the research, the 30,000 foot view is not difficult. Here's some starter links. Do the table on the embedded.com link, and you'll understand more about DSD that the vast majority of "experts".

DSD is as analog as FM radio, of which it resembles. But since it's bounded into/by two levels, thus record-able as any digital data stream, it gets confused and branded as value based digital information. It's not. It's simply a modulated pulse density bit stream. That's why you can play it back with a simple RC integrator.

http://www.embedded.com/design/debu...-of-sigma-delta-analog-to-digital-converters-

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-4775/diff?secondVersionNumber=2

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/DeltaSigma.html

Or take my word for it :)

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Learn. Do the research, the 30,000 foot view is not difficult. Here's some starter links. Do the table on the embedded.com link, and you'll understand more about DSD that the vast majority of "experts".

http://www.embedded.com/design/debu...-of-sigma-delta-analog-to-digital-converters-

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-4775/diff?secondVersionNumber=2

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/DeltaSigma.html

Or take my word for it :)

you cannot wiggle your way around the FACT that DSD requires an analog to digital conversion (a Digital domain process). That is not analog. Sorry ;)

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
All DSD recordings are multi-bit - 4 bits one quarter as often or 8 bits one eighth as often. This has to be - in order to perform calculations on the signal, level changes, dithering, etc. You cannot dither a 1-bit stream.

Then SACD players - all transcode to PCM, despite the marketing claims made by high-end brands.

There's no misinformation here - only people who continue to be in the dark...

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
All DSD recordings are multi-bit - 4 bits one quarter as often or 8 bits one eighth as often. This has to be - in order to perform calculations on the signal, level changes, dithering, etc. You cannot dither a 1-bit stream.

Then DSD DACs - all transcode to PCM, despite the marketing claims made by high-end branders.

There's no misinformation here - only people who continue to be in the dark...
No, not all DSD DACs transcode to PCM.

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
I corrected the "DSD DAC" thing, in my last post (is now "SACD players").

But the point stays the same...

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
Mmm...professional audio reviewer - who doesn't know this:

wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

Then, editor of Stereophile reporting that "all current generation DSD-capable DAC chips transcode to PCM."
This - in his review of NAD M50 (earlier this year, tail-end of review).

This underscores (two) of our problems - misinformation (from brand co.) then people *accepting* these claims as truth.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Mmm...professional audio reviewer - who doesn't know this:

wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

Then, editor of Stereophile reporting that "all current generation DSD-capable DAC chips transcode to PCM."
This - in his review of NAD M50 (earlier this year, tail-end of review).

This underscores (two) of our problems - misinformation (from brand co.) then people *accepting* these claims as truth.

John Atkinson said NO SUCH THING!!!

"... and I understand that almost all of the current generation of DSD-capable DAC chips actually transcode to PCM before conversion to analog.)"

He says "I understand" which means it is not a conclusive fact, and "almost" all.....yet again, misinformation.

This Jriver link pertains to JRiver 17.....TWO generations ago. They are now on 19, with NO PCM transcoding. Yet again, misinformation.

And Audirvana and Foobar and Pure Music handle DSD natively too. Next?

Last edited:

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
`
The "jriver" link was updated as recently as this year - right in the "history".

For the DAC chips -"almost all" is close enough. One freak DAC-chip (that doesn't transcode) won't cut it. Listeners of SACD are hearing *PCM* - as processed before conversion to analog.

And I am not going to challenge John Atkinson on facts pertaining to the audio industry - but you could if you want.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The jriver link was updated as recently as this year - right in the "history".

The DAC chips - "almost all" is close enough. One freak DAC-chip (that doesn't transcode) won't cut it. Listeners of SACD are hearing *PCM* - as processed before conversion to analog.

I am not going to challenge John Atkinson on facts pertaining to the audio industry - but you could if you want.

...believe what you want.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting tidbits ... That almost all SACD players transcode to PCM ... Would be interesting to make of the list of those who don't...

For the record I am not a DSD fan.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Franz,
many of those using FPGA/bespoke DACs also will not need to transcode to PCM; depends upon their design and even then some of the modern mainstream DACs have bypass circuitry to maintain native DSD, now whether and if used correctly is another story.

I am smiling because I remember the discussions on here where nearly all PCM DACs utilise SDM so not "true" PCM.
So conclusion is it seems (going by forum posts and not stating a fact) most DACs are not "true" PCM or "true" SACD/DSD :)
Time to go back to LPs then as life was so simple :)

Cheers
Orb

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
Actually, it's easy. Digital has always been multi-bit - whether we call it "PCM" or "DSD". But high-bit PCM should be the clear choice, as it's a higher-bit system. The sample rate is a non-starter - since mikes have limits to 25kHz.

Nothing new here - specialty labels have been using high-bit PCM since the early 1990s. DSD came in - but could be avoided - esp. if you listen to acoustic-audiophile music.

There won't be a list of DACs (that don't transcode to PCM) because there are almost none out there.

Chip makers are quite hush on their design's internal workings. The root of this "transcoding" confusion...

Last edited:

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
you cannot wiggle your way around the FACT that DSD requires an analog to digital conversion (a Digital domain process). That is not analog. Sorry ;)

Christian,

It is not analog, but it is analog-like in the sense that it does not use steps. The basics of PCM are the steps in which the whole amplitude space is divided, and the intrinsic defects of the system due to the fact that the steps are not all equal and their time behaviour. Many techniques are used to compensate these aspects.

In a pure DSD DAC we do not have steps - just one voltage and a switch. As all the digital processing is carried before this operation, we can consider it as analog like, altough some people can then say DSD5.6 is more analog than DSD2.8!;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
`For the DAC chips -"almost all" is close enough. One freak DAC-chip (that doesn't transcode) won't cut it. Listeners of SACD are hearing *PCM* - as processed before conversion to analog.

It's a good thing my Lampizator and Playback Designs don't use chips. ;)

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
You can add the Ted Smith/PS Audio system to that list.

A better idea, for sure....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing