Pass XS-150's

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Great photos, Christian. I do prefer the look of the white light on the meter to my blue light. I know it can be turned off. Mine can't, so when I listen at night with the lights off, I slide a thin piece of cardboard through the faceplate of my XA160.5 because those blue head lights are just way too bright. I can understand that your soundstaging has improved with the movement of the racks to the side. This is a very strong suggestion of Jim Smith's. Never place equipment between the speakers, especially in tall racks.

You might also notice a slight improvement if you covered the reflective surface of that TV screen behind your speakers. You must be getting great sound. BTW, do you find yourself listening more to vinyl or to tape? I have just put my Pass amps on Vibraplanes and noticed quite a remarkable improvement in sonics. Surprising considering that they are SS and not tubes. My earlier comment about the 50 pairs of amps being made between your first set and these still surprises me considering that these XS amps cost so much. I guess I'm just pleasantly surprised for Pass Labs. What a great company.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for your comments Peter. To answer your question, vinyl gets the most play due to a much wider selection than I have on tape. My tape collection is continuing to grow, I probably have 130 1/4 inch 15 ips tapes to choose from.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My tape collection is continuing to grow, I probably have 130 1/4 inch 15 ips tapes to choose from.

That is awesome Christian! 130 tapes represents lots of great listening.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here are some shots of the new XS amps in my re-configured room. The equipmwnt racks are now off to my left side out of the sound field.
QUOTE]

Congrats!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm jealous. Your room looks so much neater than my rat's nest :(

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Mark,

My setup was a rats nest too...it's amazing what moving the components off to the side does for the clean look and more importantly the sound. My racks, especially the one with the RTR standing up obscured the imaging somewhat in the old config.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Christian-I would love to have my my gear off to the side, I'm just sorta out of room unless I do some serious modifications. I haven't given up the thought yet though. I'm really glad your dealer took care of you and you now have a perfect working pair of amps.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice photos and video Vassago. I'm curious about why those needles on the XS amps are bouncing all over the place near the end of the video. I thought those Pass speakers are supposed to be easy to drive. I've never had the needles on my XA160.5 move more than 1/4" driving my notoriously difficult Magico Mini 2s and that is only with something like the Sheffield Drum Track LP at extremely loud volumes.

I understand these new amps are the least noisy and lowest in distortion amps that Pass has ever produced. A friend who used to own the XA100.5 told me after listening to his new XS150 that he had no idea how much noise and fog he had been listening to before with the old amps until he got his new ones. Also that the new XS allows him to listen deeply "into" the music to hear on recordings that he only associated with listening to a live orchestra before. Must be incredible and I'd love to hear them at some point.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I understand these new amps are the least noisy and lowest in distortion amps that Pass has ever produced. A friend who used to own the XA100.5 told me after listening to his new XS150 that he had no idea how much noise and fog he had been listening to before with the old amps until he got his new ones. Also that the new XS allows him to listen deeply "into" the music to hear on recordings that he only associated with listening to a live orchestra before. Must be incredible and I'd love to hear them at some point.

I concur with your friend.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm curious about why those needles on the XS amps are bouncing all over the place near the end of the video.

He must be listening at very high volume. Those excursions are definately taking the amp out of class A into class A/B territory. Mine bearly budge at loud volumes, then again my speakers are 94 db efficient.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He must be listening at very high volume. Those excursions are definately taking the amp out of class A into class A/B territory. Mine bearly budge at loud volumes, then again my speakers are 94 db efficient.

Unhappily you live very far from me. Otherwise I would suggest that in order to become complete amplifiers your XS's need at less one month driving 89 dB/W Aidas's.

How many speakers must an amplifier drive down
Before you call him an amplifier?
:)

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Nice photos and video Vassago. I'm curious about why those needles on the XS amps are bouncing all over the place near the end of the video. I thought those Pass speakers are supposed to be easy to drive. I've never had the needles on my XA160.5 move more than 1/4" driving my notoriously difficult Magico Mini 2s and that is only with something like the Sheffield Drum Track LP at extremely loud volumes.

Hello

Here is a nice setup too, this is one off the best setups I have heard.....
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/55251_10151321869920337_1377461726_o.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing