Pass XS-150's

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Mark,

I am also using this as an excuse to re-organize the room. I am going to make room and put my component racks out of the sound stage in the center to the side of the room, that way I will only have the amps in bewteen the speakers. It's a large undertaking but I think it may improve the sound getting my tall racks out of the middle of the speakers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Christian-I would do that too if I had the room in my room. I posted a picture of my room and my gear before on WBF and everyone chimed in and told me to get involved with a remodeling project in order to move my gear from behind my speakers and the rear wall. Please let me know if you think it makes an improvement to your soundstage.

P.S. I hope your leg is healing.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, Sorry you have to send it back, but I agree with everyone that Pass and RENO provide excellent service. Are you sending just the left channel back or all four boxes so the amps will have sequential serial numbers? Just curious if it makes a difference.

All 4 boxes go back. I am getting a new sequenced pair. Mark is a stand up guy.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The replacements have arrived and are staged at the top of the basement steps. Gravity will be my friend getting them to their final resting place tonight. Very excited to get the defect behind me.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Christian!

That could not have worked out any better. Be careful getting them down and into position. I hope you are all healed up. Let us know how they sound. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Are these already broken in or will you need to run them for a while before you can evaluate the sound? Nice service from Pass Labs.

They have 5 days of 24/7 burnin then the dealer listened to them a day or two and packed them back up. They are essentially new, so more time will be needed. The serial numbers have advanced 200 units with this set.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The bad news...the problem...spit and sputter in the left channel is now happening during listening, not just during startup/warm up (intermittently ). The amps must go back.

The great news...Mark at Reno is sending me out another pair in exchange. I will not have to wait for a repair. Talk about first class service in spades !

Christian,

A great dealer is also a key part of the high-end. I really appreciate that you share these news of excellent service and follow-up with the WBF members.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Christian,

A great dealer is also a key part of the high-end. I really appreciate that you share these news of excellent service and follow-up with the WBF members.

I was a 20 year customer of another brand of high end electronics. Faithfully upgrading with every new generation of amp and preamp they introduced. It was like pulling teeth to get answers to questions or resolutions to problems.

My first question to Pass Labs was not only responded to immediately by Pass' technical support via email but was also followed by a supporting email from Nelson Pass and then a phone call from Wayne Colburn.

Makes you feel like they're not just taking your money and running to the bank.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well they are now setup and currently warming up. Hope I don't need to move them again anytime soon. No spit and sputter in any channel this time around.

How are things sounding Frank ?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Well they are now setup and currently warming up. Hope I don't need to move them again anytime soon. No spit and sputter in any channel this time around.

How are things sounding Frank ?

Don't think you'll have any problems with the new pair. Sounds like you had one of the first sets made.

Everything is sounding great here. It was a hard decision going from tubes to solid state after all those years but I'm very happy I did.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Here are some shots of the new XS amps in my re-configured room. The equipmwnt racks are now off to my left side out of the sound field.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
That looks much better! Much less cluttered. Probably sounds better with less stuff between the speakers as well.

Congrats,

Sean

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Sean. Yes, the imaging has improved dramatically removing all that interference between the speakers. I also like having the turntable out of the soundfield....less prone to negative vibration/resonance.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks Sean. Yes, the imaging has improved dramatically removing all that interference between the speakers. I also like having the turntable out of the soundfield....less prone to negative vibration/resonance.

Christian, is that a flat panel TV on the wall behind the speakers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing