Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Obviously I’ve never heard the Poseidon, but this is my current configuration of the balanced Pacific2 w/ the Valvo G2504, 2x Telefunken C3G, 2x Siemens C3G, and 4x Philips PT14 tubes, and it is sublime. If my prior DACs were V8, this is V10 or V12 – not necessarily faster, but just more goodness.

I just cannot describe the last nth degree of vocal realism and timbre, but if this is what DHT is about, I’m sold.

In listening to Lukasz’s recent interview, I think DHT has a special place in his heart if not for how difficult it is to find tubes, and this isn’t just unique to Lampizator. Alas, in this bottomless pursuit, for me it’s worth it. If my house ever burned down and I lost all these tubes, I’d probably give up on audio.

So curious to have a fully tube-rolled Horizon vs Pacific 2 to just hear the stylistic differences.

View attachment 120858
What tubes do you have in this PAC 2?

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Left the DAC running all night and listening for a bit this morning to my usual songs:

The Valvo G2504 + TP's latest adapter absolutely smokes anything else I've ever heard. In the world of diminishing returns, the new king is a lightyear away from my other rectifiers. The delta in details, tonality, and gain in realism are on the level of changing 2-3 components, and this is only after 24 hours of burn-in. It's one of those moments in audio where I just can't ooze enough superlatives to express my shock. If I ever had to buy another Pacific, the first thing I'd do is to get TP adapters for its tubes.

I also have some Shunyata CGC grounding cables coming in to allow for these adapters to be grounded, and QSA-Lanedri power cords for more system matching...
what type of adapters is needed and where you obtain it? I am new in Pacific. Thanks

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
what type of adapters is needed and where you obtain it? I am new in Pacific. Thanks
Different valves need different adapters. Some also fit straight in without an adapter. Most people here use a shop on ebay called xulingmrs or also called Xuling Audio Labs, or if you want the best, contact @takacs75 on here and he will make you one

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Is this correct SE setup with balanced Pacific?
20231202_141402.jpg

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Is this correct SE setup with balanced Pacific?
View attachment 120953
Per Lampizator for SE in a balanced unit you need to also run the front 6N6p tube otherwise all the current is going through your one rear tube.
The front and rear tubes do not need to match. For example, I tried running 6N6P for positive and a paired C3G for negative.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Per Lampizator for SE in a balanced unit you need to also run the front 6N6p tube otherwise all the current is going through your one rear tube.
The front and rear tubes do not need to match. For example, I tried running 6N6P for positive and a paired C3G for negative.
Really? Do you have a link for that? My understanding is that the front 6n6p is for the negative. If you are not running tubes in the negative slots, you dont need the negative load tube

Reactions: Zappadaddy

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Really? Do you have a link for that? My understanding is that the front 6n6p is for the negative. If you are not running tubes in the negative slots, you dont need the negative load tube

Email exchange w Lampi when I asked about running mine in SE. The front tube is just for load balancing, not for signal.
However, an easy test would be to use a thermocouple and measure the temp of the tube. If a single tube runs hotter then you’d know.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
this is what I received in email from Lampi:
For now, what Andrzej suggests:
You can get the SE functionality by removing two big and one small front tubes and then set the VC on Max 0 Db. This way you get SE, no VC but you can still switch inputs with remote what is very useful.
Try it please, in the future we could replace top plate to SE type.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
this is what I received in email from Lampi:
For now, what Andrzej suggests:
You can get the SE functionality by removing two big and one small front tubes and then set the VC on Max 0 Db. This way you get SE, no VC but you can still switch inputs with remote what is very useful.
Try it please, in the future we could replace top plate to SE type.

Great to know! Thanks for confirming, wonder if my email from him about needing both small tubes is only if VC is used.... ??

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Yes, but this way my VC is working anyway and when I asked:

Andrzej Hutnik Lampizator
To:marcela dimitrova

Wed, Nov 22 at 6:51 AM

The VC bypass is true for the newest VC version, not sure how it's in your Pac, perhaps not.

Andrzej Hutnik
MScEng in Electroacoustics
Service
LampizatOr
andy.lampizator@gmail.com

?r., 22 lis 2023 o 06:45 Andrzej Hutnik Lampizator <andy.lampizator@gmail.com> napisa?(a):
The VC would always work. The thing is that by setting it to 0dB the VC is bypassed, and the output impedance is lower.

Andrzej Hutnik
MScEng in Electroacoustics
Service
LampizatOr
andy.lampizator@gmail.com

pon., 20 lis 2023 o 16:18 marcela dimitrova <krautrock02@yahoo.com> napisa?(a):
Monika told me you said i can make it SE by removing front tubes but no VC. But I tried that and VC works as well. Can inform me it is ok like that? Also tried PX25 and the problem with impedance mismatch dissapeared, it is extremely loud now, perfect, Michae

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
TP-11.jpg

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Reactions: christoph

Polygonhell

Jul 22, 2021
Asked Lampi: Pacific has an output impedance from 1k-5k depending on the output tube used.
I was quoted minimum input Impedance for the downstream component of 20K Ohms with PX25's.
Less that that and the volume control can have issues, notably at some changes volume moves in the wrong direction.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
you'll be very pleased, but it's a bit of a rabbit hole (though not too deep) as the next very good move is to work with Laszlo on tubes and adaptors.
I have and am getting an improvement not thought possible before. I no longer want/need another DAC - even Horizon.
That is a bold statement regarding the Horizon.
You are aware that also the Horizon takes profit from top tubes, right? ;) :p

Last edited:
Reactions: dbeau

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Very nice Blake :cool:
Have you also tried E83F instead of the C3g?
What is your recti in the above picture?

Thanks, Christoph. I have several different versions of the E83F and bought the TP adapter for them as well.

I was able to source some special lab sample 45 degree getter Tungsram E83F through Laszlo and those are my favorite E83F. Amperex PQ gold pins E83F are also very good.

Lab sample Tungsram E83F were my daily drivers and favorites (I preferred them to the Siemens C3G), until I got some Telefunken C3G (not the "S" version).

Rectifier is a 1943 german military Valvo G2504. Since I took that photo, I have now installed Laszlo's silver ribbon grounding wires for all tubes.

tubes59

Jan 3, 2011
Fairly new Pacific owner here. The heater selector knob on the back of my Pacific rotates counterclockwise without an end stop. It does stop at each tube selection point but will keep going around continuously. There is a stop going clockwise. I'm concerned that now I don't really know which value is selected. I don't want to damage the tubes. Is this a problem?

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thanks, Christoph. I have several different versions of the E83F and bought the TP adapter for them as well.

I was able to source some special lab sample 45 degree getter Tungsram E83F through Laszlo and those are my favorite E83F. Amperex PQ gold pins E83F are also very good.

Lab sample Tungsram E83F were my daily drivers and favorites (I preferred them to the Siemens C3G), until I got some Telefunken C3G (not the "S" version).

Rectifier is a 1943 german military Valvo G2504. Since I took that photo, I have now installed Laszlo's silver ribbon grounding wires for all tubes.

Thanks, Blake for the extensive answer.

If I see it correctly, your rectifier is solid plate and not mesh.
Did you compare both versions and decided for the solid plate?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing