Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
If you’re travelling down the 6922 road, then some of the old russian 6h23p are worth checking out.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
If you’re travelling down the 6922 road, then some of the old russian 6h23p are worth checking out.

I had a quad of the Reflektor Holy Grail '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields. Nice tubes, providing more of a solid state sound, lots of detail and clarity. Ultimately in head to head, I still preferred my Amperex but could see this cutting either way depending on the user's gear and preferences. Amperex was superior in terms of tone and body.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
@Blake - You’re absolutely right about the matching context. In my case, many moons ago, the Reflektor replaced an amperex 7308 in a CJ140 running TS6550 blackplates.

True. When I did my head to head experiments with these tubes my system was completely different, no components remain from that older system. My former system could lean a bit toward an overly clean/sterile sound and I think the Amperex helped in that regard.

Reactions: christoph

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
After comparing many types of this tube in my former amps, I settled on Amperex 6DJ8, Orange globe logo, Holland (shield, steel pins,) and Amperex 6922, PQ, white label, US (shield, gold pins) (my favorite), late 1950's early 1960's. I'll have to give them a try out in my Pacific.
Please report back on your results!

Reactions: christoph

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
By the way, does anyone have a 6C8G/6F8G to 6SN7 adapter they're not using? I'll buy it off you to avoid the three week wait from China.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
IMG_3229.jpg

Following the Dubstepgirl thread, I had a Western Electric 422A which was the king recti in my setup. With the TRP, it was glorious, slightly sweet, very natural yet intimate, dynamic.

However, it did not seem to be as awesome in the Pacific 2. I also tried a USAF596, GEC U52 brown base, and then a Telefunken RGN2004 mesh. Those had many good things going for it, but it still was missing a certain je ne said quoi.

Well no more. The G2504 + TP adapter (@takacs75) easily dethroned all else of mine for the Pacific 2 even before it has burned in. So intimate, dynamic, detailed, yet natural sounding. If the Pacific was a turbo V6, this rectifier made it a V10.

ticktock

Oct 3, 2020
View attachment 119206

Following the Dubstepgirl thread, I had a Western Electric 422A which was the king recti in my setup. With the TRP, it was glorious, slightly sweet, very natural yet intimate, dynamic.

However, it did not seem to be as awesome in the Pacific 2. I also tried a USAF596, GEC U52 brown base, and then a Telefunken RGN2004 mesh. Those had many good things going for it, but it still was missing a certain je ne said quoi.

Well no more. The G2504 + TP adapter (@takacs75) easily dethroned all else of mine for the Pacific 2 even before it has burned in. So intimate, dynamic, detailed, yet natural sounding. If the Pacific was a turbo V6, this rectifier made it a V10.
Although I haven't upgraded my Pacific yet to v2, I must concur about the G2504 + TP adapter. It's a fantastic combination. The ultimate adapter made by Ian is also wonderful, but for my system right now, the TP adapter strikes a slightly better balance.

• Love
Reactions: 2ndLiner and Blake

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Left the DAC running all night and listening for a bit this morning to my usual songs:

The Valvo G2504 + TP's latest adapter absolutely smokes anything else I've ever heard. In the world of diminishing returns, the new king is a lightyear away from my other rectifiers. The delta in details, tonality, and gain in realism are on the level of changing 2-3 components, and this is only after 24 hours of burn-in. It's one of those moments in audio where I just can't ooze enough superlatives to express my shock. If I ever had to buy another Pacific, the first thing I'd do is to get TP adapters for its tubes.

I also have some Shunyata CGC grounding cables coming in to allow for these adapters to be grounded, and QSA-Lanedri power cords for more system matching...

Blackfield2023

Feb 10, 2023
Hi,

I have been planning to replace my integrated with DAC and power amp for a while, see this thread for more info.

I recently purchased Pacific 2 balance with VC.

My current system:
Roon -> Optical Rendu -> Pacific 2 -> McIntosh MA12000 (integrated) -> Wilson Sasha DAW.

A few months ago, I auditioned Luxman M-10x power amp with Wilson Sasha DAW at my dealer and I like what I heard.

My questions are revolved around matching Pacific 2 with Luxman M-10x - no pre-amp (at least for now).

Here is the spec for Luxman M-10x.

Looking at Pacific's manual, it states that it can handle amp with impendance of 20kOhm or higher.
Luxman M-10x's has input impedance of 28kOhm (balanced) and 51kOhm (unbalanced).

My questions:
1. What is the output impedance of Pacific 2?
2. If I use balanced input, does it mean it may perform worse than unbalanced since unbalanced has higher impedance? While I can test this, I am curious to hear your experience with this.
3. Are there other considerations beside matching input and output impedance? I read voltage can be a factor as well but not sure how one can check.
4. Are there other concern that you notice with matching Pacific 2 with Luxman M-10x?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: keithc

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Obviously I’ve never heard the Poseidon, but this is my current configuration of the balanced Pacific2 w/ the Valvo G2504, 2x Telefunken C3G, 2x Siemens C3G, and 4x Philips PT14 tubes, and it is sublime. If my prior DACs were V8, this is V10 or V12 – not necessarily faster, but just more goodness.

I just cannot describe the last nth degree of vocal realism and timbre, but if this is what DHT is about, I’m sold.

In listening to Lukasz’s recent interview, I think DHT has a special place in his heart if not for how difficult it is to find tubes, and this isn’t just unique to Lampizator. Alas, in this bottomless pursuit, for me it’s worth it. If my house ever burned down and I lost all these tubes, I’d probably give up on audio.

So curious to have a fully tube-rolled Horizon vs Pacific 2 to just hear the stylistic differences.

IMG_3442.jpg

keithc

Dec 31, 2022

"If you take the absolute value of the LampizatOr Pacific 2, ignoring all else, it stands on its own as one of the best values for performance at that price point. It stands tall against other DACs in the mid to high price range. If DHT is your jam and you're looking for a DAC then look no further. If you're looking for a spectacular DAC in this price range regardless of circuit design... look no further."

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
To me, if you're considering an upgrade from the original Pacific, just do it; no brainer; call them now and make it happen

Mine is at the factory right now having exactly this!

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Mine is at the factory right now having exactly this!
you'll be very pleased, but it's a bit of a rabbit hole (though not too deep) as the next very good move is to work with Laszlo on tubes and adaptors.
I have and am getting an improvement not thought possible before. I no longer want/need another DAC - even Horizon.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
you'll be very pleased, but it's a bit of a rabbit hole (though not too deep) as the next very good move is to work with Laszlo on tubes and adaptors.
I have and am getting an improvement not thought possible before. I no longer want/need another DAC - even Horizon.
Thanks, Im looking forward to it. Yes Ive already been in contact, and Ive also managed to hunt down a Valvo G2504 at a good price, but I dont know if it actually works yet!

Bart77

Dec 30, 2021
I was also tempted to upgrade the Pacific to the v2 version and I must admit that the change is impressive in combination with my Sveda Audio active speakers. The sound gained color and space, the stage deepened. The bass became more expressive and the vocals came forward. I feel like there's more music now than before. A very positive change, although I was skeptical at first because the basic version of Pacific already sounded great.

I had the Horizon at home for a while and was delighted with the sound. Now after the change, I think I will wait for another product from ?ukasz.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I was also tempted to upgrade the Pacific to the v2 version and I must admit that the change is impressive in combination with my Sveda Audio active speakers. The sound gained color and space, the stage deepened. The bass became more expressive and the vocals came forward. I feel like there's more music now than before. A very positive change, although I was skeptical at first because the basic version of Pacific already sounded great.

I had the Horizon at home for a while and was delighted with the sound. Now after the change, I think I will wait for another product from ?ukasz.

@Bart77 -- can you recall the differences of the Horizon with your system compared to the Pac2? Any subjective pros/cons?

Bart77

Dec 30, 2021
@Bart77 -- can you recall the differences of the Horizon with your system compared to the Pac2? Any subjective pros/cons?

I had the Horizon some time ago, but compared to the first Pacific version, the sound was fuller and the tone was less technical. In my Pacific system it always sounded slightly sharp and detailed. After changing to v2, the sound gained mass while still playing selectively. As if the difference between Pacific and Horuzon had become blurred ;) Of course, this is my subjective opinion.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks, Im looking forward to it. Yes Ive already been in contact, and Ive also managed to hunt down a Valvo G2504 at a good price, but I dont know if it actually works yet!

Is yours the Valvo G2504 that was on ebay a couple months ago, with no test results but with return privileges?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Is yours the Valvo G2504 that was on ebay a couple months ago, with no test results but with return privileges?
No, it was from Japan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing