NY Audio Show 2013 - My impressions

What's with all the FGTH hating?

The 'Annihilation' mix of 'Two Tribes' is one of the finest recordings ever made. And I'm not kidding around. The 45rpm 12" vinyl cut in particular has an exceptional dynamic range and a balance that responds well to a full-range loudspeaker system. I've heard that played loud and proud and stop people dead in their tracks for the full nine minutes of play time. The orchestral score (not synclavier'd) was exceptionally powerful for what was basically a 1980s pop record. Albeit a subversive one.

Unfortunately, most of the CD transfers don't seem to have the same impact. And you can keep the other mixes.

The 'Annihilation' mix of 'Two Tribes' is one of the finest recordings ever made. And I'm not kidding around. The 45rpm 12" vinyl cut in particular has an exceptional dynamic range and a balance that responds well to a full-range loudspeaker system. I've heard that played loud and proud and stop people dead in their tracks for the full nine minutes of play time. The orchestral score (not synclavier'd) was exceptionally powerful for what was basically a 1980s pop record. Albeit a subversive one.

Unfortunately, most of the CD transfers don't seem to have the same impact. And you can keep the other mixes.

And what about the 12" 45 RPM version of "Relax?" If you want a demo song that will light up your room and bass that will crush you, this is it.

And what about the 12" 45 RPM version of "Relax?" If you want a demo song that will light up your room and bass that will crush you, this is it.

Agreed, but even 29 years after it was released, 'Relax' is a bit of an edgy record to play at a hi-fi show, because of the subject matter. Far better to stick with the perceived threat of global thermonuclear war and its aftermath.

Oh yeah. Well 'ard!

Agreed, but even 29 years after it was released, 'Relax' is a bit of an edgy record to play at a hi-fi show, because of the subject matter. Far better to stick with the perceived threat of global thermonuclear war and its aftermath.

Oh yeah. Well 'ard!

Maybe as Gary mentioned it would get the women running into the room. I would rather hear "Relax" than Norah Jones singing "I Don't Know Why I Didn't Come."

Oh yeah. Well 'ard!

Ah, this is where I'm omnivorous, I actually don't hear lyrics, or rather, I hear them as music, as an instrument along with the rest, and don't register the words. True, not making it up. Couldn't restate a line of lyric if I had a gun at my head, for me it's all music. And "Relax" is a thumping good piece of music.

(I can manage "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away ..." and that's where it stops, as far as that song is concerned. My daughter remembers every piece of lyric she hears, after the first run-through, but doesn't like to listen to "music without words." Apart from that, she is definitely my daughter.)

+1

Apart from that, she is definitely my daughter.)

A preacher was explaining to his congregation the difference between things you know and things you believe. By example, he used John and Mary in the first pew. The preacher said, "Now take John and Mary sitting in the first pew. John and Mary have seven beautiful children. Mary knows those children are hers because she gave birth to everyone of them. Now John, he has to believe!"

Maybe as Gary mentioned it would get the women running into the room. I would rather hear "Relax" than Norah Jones singing "I Don't Know Why I Didn't Come."

Just don't watch the video...it's embarrassingly BAD! :eek:

Something like Robbie Neville's "C'est la Vie" would be nice to hear at a show. The song's got punch, rhythm, an absolute dance factor (although you might not want that) and just a whole lot of fun!:D

Just don't watch the video...it's embarrassingly BAD! :eek:

Something like Robbie Neville's "C'est la Vie" would be nice to hear at a show. The song's got punch, rhythm, an absolute dance factor (although you might not want that) and just a whole lot of fun!:D

Which video??

I think the 25/30 rule applies here. You can only have 25 to 30 securities in your portfolio you know really well... you can only have 25 to 30 friends you know really well (really well is the trick of course and means in the here the now). I know that in any given time frame I have no more than 30 records/rips/tapes in my equipment review rotation. As much as I complain about "Keith Don't Go", at shows it is a taste complaint, if I had to play it all day long to make a sale... that's aok.

Back on topic... I really liked the show, the hotel and the sound. Myles and I did a show recap several hours ago, I'll edit it (first) and get it up for everyone.

Great show!

Oh yeah. Well 'ard!

How about Nine Inch Nails "I Want To **** You Like an Animal"?

Oh yeah. Well 'ard!

Alan:

Nice review of the Densen. I am reviewing the entry level integrated, the B-110. I previously did the B-200 and B-310 separates.

Am I losing it or is this stuff just gorgeous too look at and just damn good sounding?

Unreliable US representation has been an issue in the past.

Ah, this is where I'm omnivorous, I actually don't hear lyrics, or rather, I hear them as music, as an instrument along with the rest, and don't register the words. True, not making it up. Couldn't restate a line of lyric if I had a gun at my head, for me it's all music. And "Relax" is a thumping good piece of music.

(I can manage "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away ..." and that's where it stops, as far as that song is concerned. My daughter remembers every piece of lyric she hears, after the first run-through, but doesn't like to listen to "music without words." Apart from that, she is definitely my daughter.)

I completely agree. If I like the music, I don't care what the lyrics are or what the lyricist has to say, even in operas. The lyrics could be in any language and I can't recite any either, except the phrase from The Barber of Seville, "Figaro, Figaro, Figaro.....", "Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away..." or "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah..."

FGTH was one the rare albums I regretted even as I was pulling it out of the stacks at the record store. If I'm going self-indulgent, mid-'80's, Island records, I'm going with Grace Jones' "Slave To The Rhythm", catchier song and better recorded :D

images

I think the 25/30 rule applies here. You can only have 25 to 30 securities in your portfolio you know really well... you can only have 25 to 30 friends you know really well (really well is the trick of course and means in the here the now). I know that in any given time frame I have no more than 30 records/rips/tapes in my equipment review rotation. As much as I complain about "Keith Don't Go", at shows it is a taste complaint, if I had to play it all day long to make a sale... that's aok.

Back on topic... I really liked the show, the hotel and the sound. Myles and I did a show recap several hours ago, I'll edit it (first) and get it up for everyone.

Great show!

And our best to date yet. :) But then again, I'm suffering from expectation bias.

The emerging market is made up of 20 to 40 year olds. We were weaned on indie rock and electronic music, dance and otherwise. If we want the industry to attract the younger listeners we have to play their music and not just so called "classy" genres. What do you think Dead Can Dance is? A string quartet?

I'm in charge of choosing our selections at shows. My mindset is to thresh out how the systems are used at home because that is what dictates what music is being played at home. As such there's mellow music and serious music for "alone time" and fun music for "entertaining/party time". A good system should be able to conform to the owner's behavior patterns and not the other way around. We've had young couples actually dancing with matching fist pumping in our room playing Armin Van Buuren and Tiesto one year and Dash Berlin and Emma Hewwitt the year after. The challenge is timing what to play when all you have is a few seconds to "read" the makeup of people in the room at any particular time. Making transitions from chamber to something hard requires the person to do a quick spiel to warn some in the room. Do it with good humor and you'd be surprised how many older 'philes actually stay and enjoy. Perhaps not the music played but I mean who doesn't like seeing pretty ladies dancing? I don't care how old you are! :D

We advise those that like to listen softly and listen to more intimate material to come in the mornings when the crowds are thin and all the other rooms quiet. We're SRO most of the afternoons and sometimes past closing. We take these opportunities to talk softly with the showgoers and schedule visits to the showrooms. For our own sanity we play as wide a selection of music as possible.

One tip for show participants I will share is the power of the volume control. If you want the crowd to be quiet, turn down the volume instead of trying to play music over their noise. It works every single time.

Congratulations to all the NY show participants, may all of you made more sales, more friends and hopefully expanded the hobby's base! Cheers!

041313-LPSundays-600.jpg

Colleen “Cosmo” Murphy, the record-store clerk-turned-internationally known DJ-turned-analog impresario, has set out to change the way we listen, one roomful at a time; based on my experiences at NYAS 2013, she is bound to succeed. I had heard that Ms. Murphy is as sound- and music-savvy as she is lovely, and I can only say those observations don’t do her justice. “Today, music is treated almost as aural wallpaper, as a cheap commodity,” Murphy bemoaned in her opening remarks before spinning the Japanese vinyl version of David Bowie’s Hunky Dory on a truly grand system, including a Spiral Groove SG1.1 turntable with Centroid tonearm and a Lyra Atlas cartridge; a VTL TP 6.5 phono preamp (with integral step-up transformer); VTL’s TL 7.5 line-level preamp and Siegfried monoblock amps; Wilson Audio MAXX 3 loudspeakers and Opus series cabling from Transparent. (When I visited the Classic Album Sundays room, early on the show’s first day, exact pricing details weren’t yet available; suffice it to say, everything was rather expensive.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing