New Wilson Speaker

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Looks like they re-released the Maxx. I find it hard to believe a 40k (?) speaker will be the best selling speaker of all time for them. I also think the Maxx3 makes less sense now.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I wonder if Alon likes it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Q5 is tough competiton. I never met Dave but these guys are gonna duke it out. For those with the cash and the inclination that's good news. The rest of us will have to make due with a ticket to the fight..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It seems to me that this new Alexia is aimed right at the Magico Q3. The Magico answer to the Sasha is the S5. The Maxx 3 and Q5 are at similar price points. The Q7 and the Alexandrias....The competition is good for us all. I wonder how YG feels.

I know Yoav and he has a huge following with his speakers

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I also doubt that a (likely to be priced at) $40,000 K speakers will be the best selling model ever for Wilson line... $40K is a nice bit of change.. enough for an entire High End Audio system ...
This is good for the High End Audio .. Competition forces manufacturers to provide better products. Wilson felt the heat from a lot of companies: Magico, Rockport Von Shcweikert, YG in the USA.Meanwhile companies from the rest of the world were garnering kudos and appreciations: Tidal, Vivid, Sonus Faber which now manufactures some models in China where quality can be very high ... And from Japan TAD a company to be taken very seriously since they are after all Pioneer the mid-fi giant, from JM Lab too and the list could be longer meanwhile Audiophiles are not automatically thinking Wilson anymore the news is coming continuously from others mainly Magico that sems to be producing a speaker to fill all price ranges. Even from some companies that did not ever challenge it in its price structure for example Vandersteen with the Seven, with a price rightin the gap between the Sasha and the Maxx3.. So Wilson reacted and hopefully well. They didn't get to be the company to beat by being complacent

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I think with Alexia I can now consider to buy a Wilson. Personally I never ever liked the inverted dome tweeter.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Alexia is probably an attempt to make a feminie pronoun of the name Alexandria. As in Alexia designs. An unfiortunate choice. Akin to naming a blackman Garcon.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How about this as an explanation

Alexandria X-2. Alexandria XLF. Alexia (ALEXandrIA).

And the Maxx3 replacement will be called the Alendria or the Alandria? ;)

Perhaps one the reasons for these A starting names is that they show first in buyer guides. A good friend of mine named his sons and daughters with names starting in A expecting them to sit in the front row at school ...

BTW, I really loved the XLF.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm not although I have to say (as I have previously) that I love the new silk dome tweeter on the XLF and now seems to be a planned entity in newer models and newer versions of older speakers

Not even with your share of the Apple verdict. Smile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing