JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congratulations on the engagement Myles, and the new table too! :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Jack! Putting the new Transfiguration Proteus in today or tomorrow!

Thing were sounding so good wanted to take the rest of the week off and listen :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, congratulations on getting engaged! As for the DirectDrive, I want one.

Thanks man!

I think we're learning that we can't be dogmatic about the turntable drive system be it belt, idler/rim or dd. It's how the technology is executed. The first thing you hear is just how super quiet this beast is. In this case the absence of noise is the presence of music, especially in the low end. Clean that up and everything else is better (all apologies to those DSP people but a lot of what you're hearing and complaining about is your front-end). Clean and deep low and one restores balance to the music.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congratulations Myles! SRA makes good stuff.

Dre

I think so. It would be interesting to compare Kevin's base with one of the active units. Even air has a transmission factor.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Congrats on all counts Myles, looking forward to your thoughts on the TT. Sorry you didn't get to hear the speakers in Vegas btw, room got hijacked and we were too polite.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congrats on all counts Myles, looking forward to your thoughts on the TT. Sorry you didn't get to hear the speakers in Vegas btw, room got hijacked and we were too polite.

Me too. Tried a couple times after but room was always busy. Guess that's a good thing! :)

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Me too. Tried a couple times after but room was always busy. Guess that's a good thing! :)

Yeah, it was busy and reception was excellent. The new 12" woofers really work well and the Raven tweeter is as good as any I've heard.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks Mark!

At some point when you get comfortable with the new set up, I'm sure a lot of WBF members would love to get your take on how your various stable of cartridges compare on the new table. Not many of us get the opportunity to hear so many different ones in a familiar system.

Enjoy in good health!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations on the new table, Myles. I must have missed it, but is this in for review, or did you buy it for your reference system?

I love the simplicity of the design captured in the photographs posted early in the thread. Could you describe the motor/platter unit and how it is attached to the plinth? Is it fixed or simply placed into the cavity? The table looks to be a major new entry into the turntable market, especially the Direct Drive category and seems priced competitively if it is reference quality. I would presume that its speed accuracy and consistency are as good as a top DD table like the Technics SP10 MK3. Have you tested it with something like a Sutherland TimeLine?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congratulations on the new table, Myles. I must have missed it, but is this in for review, or did you buy it for your reference system?

I love the simplicity of the design captured in the photographs posted early in the thread. Could you describe the motor/platter unit and how it is attached to the plinth? Is it fixed or simply placed into the cavity? The table looks to be a major new entry into the turntable market, especially the Direct Drive category and seems priced competitively if it is reference quality. I would presume that its speed accuracy and consistency are as good as a top DD table like the Technics SP10 MK3. Have you tested it with something like a Sutherland TimeLine?

Business first :)

Regarding the platter/motor assembly. It's sort of unremarkable. All you esentially can see is the platter; the bottom part is covered. I can probably tell you more later in the review process. The motor/platter assembly is fitted with several guides on the side. After electrically connecting the motor to the switches located on the left side of the plinth (unlike another table that put them on the right, directly under the cartridge and inviting disaster :( ) and taking care not to trap the strap, the guides are aligned and inserted into holes in the plinth containing an elastomeric plug. The assembly doesn't move :)

Vis a vis speed. According to Harry, "the speed stability of the CD is an order of magnitude better than anything a belt can do even with all parts running at +/- .0005" (motor shaft, motor pulley, platter circumference, platter shaft, etc.)." I never used Ron's device; I found the digistrobo was perfect for dummies.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
At some point when you get comfortable with the new set up, I'm sure a lot of WBF members would love to get your take on how your various stable of cartridges compare on the new table. Not many of us get the opportunity to hear so many different ones in a familiar system.

Enjoy in good health!

Will see what I can do!

The Transfig Proteus is up first :)

The Atlas has never sounded better in the 12-inch 3D arm and CD. I don't care what others say. The sound of the system all comes back to the front-end.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Vis a vis speed. According to Harry, "the speed stability of the CD is an order of magnitude better than anything a belt can do even with all parts running at +/- .0005" (motor shaft, motor pulley, platter circumference, platter shaft, etc.)." I never used Ron's device; I found the digistrobo was perfect for dummies.

Thanks Myles. I forgot to ask you if the speed is adjustable. A friend of mine tested his very expensive modern DD table with the TimeLine and the speed was off and there was no way to adjust it, so I'm just curious about this design. Will you check the speed with your digistrobo and report the results in the process of reviewing the table?

I'm confused by why Harry would mention a CD or the reference to a belt driven table. I just wonder if an end user has tested the speed of this direct drive table as it is surely one of the strengths of such a design.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You still need a VPI speed controller

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles. I forgot to ask you if the speed is adjustable. A friend of mine tested his very expensive modern DD table with the TimeLine and the speed was off and there was no way to adjust it, so I'm just curious about this design. Will you check the speed with your digistrobo and report the results in the process of reviewing the table?

I'm confused by why Harry would mention a CD or the reference to a belt driven table. I just wonder if an end user has tested the speed of this direct drive table as it is surely one of the strengths of such a design.

CD = Classic Direct ;) Man you and I are on the same wavelength. Many years ago, probably back In the late '80s, my ex said that we need to buy a CD. I immediately launched into a diatribe about how bad digital was blah, blah, blah. She let me finish and the looked up and said, I meant a certificate of deposit :)

I'd have to check exactly about the speed control but I assume it's the small unit that the table plugs into; then the small box is plugged into the wall. No it's not adjustable AFAIK. But this is all info I'll gather as write the review.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
transfig5.JPG transfig4.JPG transfig3.JPG transfig 2.JPG trans 1.JPG

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Myles

Tell us a bit more about those GIANT cartridge screws and where to get them.

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing