New VPI Table

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Looks good Myles! The SRA base looks great under the table.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Looks excellent Myles

Did the platter/motor come separate to the table?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looks good Myles! The SRA base looks great under the table.

Sound good under too! :)

It does with one drawback. The SRA finish is for some reason like "wax" and you have to be careful not to lean on the table or it will slide :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looks excellent Myles

Did the platter/motor come separate to the table?

Yes the motor/platter/bearing come as a separate unit and you have to first hook the connecting wire to the motor and then carefully drop it in the space, taking care to line up the holes and not catch the wire. It's a two person job; one holds the platter with a T-like tool that screws onto the threads of the spindle while the other connects the motor and aligns the holes :) It took about an hour and a half to set up from unboxing to aligning the cartridge (with the Craz rack pretty much already level).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
what took so long ???? It looks like a mighty fine kit.

Lots of little things like putting the little cups under the SRA bases is a real PITA. The platter positioning took a little while. Had a little issue with the cartridge analyzer and then realized was frame shifted over one band on the test record so had one good, one band that didn't work, and minor levelling. Took a little getting used to working with the new printed arm since the CW is a lot tighter so makes it harder to set VTF; OTOH, once you set VTF, then it pretty much stays in place when you set azimuth. And maybe it was a little less since took a break in the middle to go back to work for an hour :) But bottom line is its up and running.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Myles, very nice. the JMW looks smart in black. did you snap any pics of motor drive system?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, very nice. the JMW looks smart in black. did you snap any pics of motor drive system?

Sorry no just wasn't at a good spot for pictures. And you really can't see much because the motor is is in a casing that cover it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looking good! Hows it sounding so far?

Well it's all pretty preliminary since the table still has to break-in and still will have to fiddle with the SRA (but sounds to my ears darn close and that little Millenium Audio Vision tool really helps in getting a first approximation. Ran the tonearm wires on the Cable Cooker but the motor and bearing will need a little time to settle in. Let's just say there's absolutely no, read nada comparison between this and anything else HW has made. Explosive like tape. Unbelievable resolution the low end is again so tape: ultra clean, dynamic and defined with the Atlas.

My fiancee was listening to the 45 rpm test pressing of Shelby Lynne and says, did you hear that? I never heard her say that. May put the Ikeda 9TT in the other arm Th and maybe (?) Bill will bring the Kai over on Friday. Considering how good the 9TT is, would really like to hear their all out effort. Then this weekend will set up the Transfig. Proteus in the second arm.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Lots of little things like putting the little cups under the SRA bases is a real PITA. The platter positioning took a little while. Had a little issue with the cartridge analyzer and then realized was frame shifted over one band on the test record so had one good, one band that didn't work, and minor levelling. Took a little getting used to working with the new printed arm since the CW is a lot tighter so makes it harder to set VTF; OTOH, once you set VTF, then it pretty much stays in place when you set azimuth. And maybe it was a little less since took a break in the middle to go back to work for an hour :) But bottom line is its up and running.
and how long did this process take ? You like the long comfortable screw, don't you ? ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
My fiancee was listening to the 45 rpm test pressing of Shelby Lynne and says, did you hear that? I never heard her say that.

You may have to put a lock on the tonearm! :)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Well it's all pretty preliminary since the table still has to break-in and still will have to fiddle with the SRA (but sounds to my ears darn close and that little Millenium Audio Vision tool really helps in getting a first approximation. Ran the tonearm wires on the Cable Cooker but the motor and bearing will need a little time to settle in. Let's just say there's absolutely no, read nada comparison between this and anything else HW has made. Explosive like tape. Unbelievable resolution the low end is again so tape: ultra clean, dynamic and defined with the Atlas.

My fiancee was listening to the 45 rpm test pressing of Shelby Lynne and says, did you hear that? I never heard her say that. May put the Ikeda 9TT in the other arm Th and maybe (?) Bill will bring the Kai over on Friday. Considering how good the 9TT is, would really like to hear their all out effort. Then this weekend will set up the Transfig. Proteus in the second arm.

Sounds promising. Sounds like you may have to find a way to keep it as your reference.;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
w
Sounds promising. Sounds like you may have to find a way to keep it as your reference.;)

Yes as my ex would say, welcome to your new piece of equipment.

I can try rationalizing that it will be my last turntable..... :) Time will tell.

Funny thing is that have to break old habits like giving the platter a little boost when starting up :) Or the ease of switching between 33 and 45 rpm. Or having to shut the motor off if the ring clamp isn't seated absolutely correctly unlike with the rim drive that didn't care at all. Stop the dd motor while it's spinning and the tt will shut down and go into fault mode.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
fiancés, I understand the delay. Congrats and best of luck.

Speaking for myself, I am not sure I can give my partner power sharing. I have all the skin in the game.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Myles, congratulations on getting engaged! As for the DirectDrive, I want one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, congratulations on getting engaged! As for the DirectDrive, I want one.

Thanks buddy!!!

No one has commented on the SRA? :)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Looking good Myles. This is a TT I really want to hear.

Do you have any plans to review the SMART protractor? I would be interested to see how accurate it is compared to the single null point VPI jig.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looking good Myles. This is a TT I really want to hear.

Do you have any plans to review the SMART protractor? I would be interested to see how accurate it is compared to the single null point VPI jig.

Not at the moment. Too many other things on the plate :) But a great suggestion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing