Need some help setting up a VPI Fatboy on a Classic 3

JJC731

Jun 7, 2023
I own a VPI Classic 3 and just switched over from the stock 10" Classic arm to the 12" Fatboy. The problem I am having now is that the arm runs into the record weight due the angle. The VTA tower is set up for a 10" arm and needs to be adjusted to accommodate the 12".

I can't find directions or videos anywhere on how to make this change. I can't be the only person in history who has gone with a 12" Fatboy!

I will appreciate any help the wise people of this forum can offer me in making the proper adjustments.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
This is most likely because your pivot to spindle distance is incorrect. I don't remember how VPI arms are mounted. But you probably need a different arm board. Call VPI and ask.

Brf

Sep 21, 2012
The Classic 3 was not designed to accommodate a 12” tonearm due to the lack of plinth space. VPI later produced the Classic 4 (larger footprint) that could accommodate a 12” tonearm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing