New(ish) Sasha DAWs arriving in April

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US
The rest of my gear is bang for the buck Odyssey tube pre, phono pre, and monoblock Kismit Khartago amps. VPI table with Hana ML low output MC. Anyone have experience with driving the DAWs with Odyssey? I know the amps can handle the DAW as my previous speakers were less efficient with worse impedance numbers.

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US
Ok, I’m hearing the sounds of silence here on my question re DAWs with Odyssey gear. How about this - anyone running DAWs with bang for the buck amps Of any brand? Thoughts, experiences?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I use audio research mono blocks and have generally always found them to be a good match having previously had system 7 and 8, then Sasha 2 until my present DAW’s.
Sorry, but have no experience of the amps you are discussing, but good luck with the new speakers.

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US
I use audio research mono blocks and have generally always found them to be a good match having previously had system 7 and 8, then Sasha 2 until my present DAW’s.
Sorry, but have no experience of the amps you are discussing, but good luck with the new speakers.
Thanks for the response. I take it your AR monos have no problem with the moderately tough load?

I’m a soundstage freak - are you getting good depth and width on quality recordings?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Your soundstage is going to be strongly affected by your room, as well as other gear.

I have used the DAWs in my own system with ARC Ref 250 SE, ARC Ref 75 SE, Burmester 911 mk3, and McIntosh MA9500. I have heard the DAWs in showroom auditions with several other tube and solid state brands. With capable recordings, all have presented well defined soundstages.

The DAWs are polished enough to discern differences and shortcomings in the rest of your gear. But you do have to get them properly situated in a well behaved room before you can definitively address the amp issues.

FWIW, the DAWs are NOT difficult to drive for typical decent amps. They’re quite efficient and so they will produce high volume levels coherently at very modest power inputs.

Your amps are not widely used with the DAWs, so you’ll have to listen for yourself and share what you hear.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve installed some room treatment and the ambient levels are very low.
Soundstage width extends well beyond the speaker boundaries even at low volume levels.
as the post above, they are a relatively easy and efficient speaker and have never experienced any issues with a “punishing load”.

Reactions: Dishman442

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I just looked up these “bang for the buck” amps.

Even in the old days of Stereo Review and High Fidelity, your choice would be an odd pairing.

I think the best advice is to listen and draw your own conclusion.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Wilson mostly in the low end under 3 ohm , if you want stability in the bass and not a too expensive gear look for a Aragon 8008bb.
You won't find anything better in this price range. But be careful, it's a very permeable amp, it ruthlessly reveals tonal errors in the signal chain.
Download (2).jpeg

P.S no matter how loud you listen. this thing is as solid as a rock

Reactions: Dishman442

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US
I just looked up these “bang for the buck” amps.

Even in the old days of Stereo Review and High Fidelity, your choice would be an odd pairing.

I think the best advice is to listen and draw your own conclusion.
I like mine. I probably like yours too. The speakers arrive next week. In the old days of stereo review and high fidelity, neither the DAWs nor the current iteration of the mono Odyssey amps existed so I will report on the odd pairing, using my own conclusions. Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I like mine. I probably like yours too. The speakers arrive next week. In the old days of stereo review and high fidelity, neither the DAWs nor the current iteration of the mono Odyssey amps existed so I will report on the odd pairing, using my own conclusions. Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.
Just to explain … my point was not that those products were poorly thought of.

in those days the magazines recommended that the speakers were FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the amp. And so in allocating budget, much more was suggested for speakers than for amp. Your proposed case would be considered, even by those old standards, as an unusually high speaker to amp investment ratio.

I do think that your ears are the only ones that matter here. And, as you quote from my signature, I might like your pairing if I heard it. And it may be a good way to start (jumping well into five figures on speakers, leaving the rest par behind).

Enjoy! The DAWs are not hard to drive. DAW himself recognized this and once substituted some modestly priced SS amps for the prominently visible “audiophile amps” at a show. He is also known for not opening his room until everything sounded right to his ears.

He did the demo with the hidden amps. The reaction from the listeners was very positive about the great pairing. And then he disclosed the actual amps in use. It was a teachable moment for some.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing