New Koetsu step up transformer

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Interesting news to me, like to try the new Koetsu Step up, as a brand new tsugaro is on the way :)

found the following technical spec:

Specifications

• Frequency Range: 20Hz – 50KHz
  • Frequency Response: ±3dB
  • Gain: 26dB
  • Open Impedance: 10K ohm or more
  • DC Resistance: Input: 4.5 ohms
  • Output: 132 ohms
  • Insultation Resistance: 100M ohms or more at DC250V
  • Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.51” x 2.83” x 6.10”
  • Weight: 2lbs

View attachment 83254

Currently I am using the Phasemation T-1000 step up with my Koetsu Black Goldline (latest production )
The Phasemation Carts do have very similar coils in the 4 to 5ohm region, so the Phasemation step ups are a good match to Koetsu as well (to my ears) , I tried different step ups before, like Ikeda, Etsuro, Kondo, but they all are the best with their own cartridge designs.
Looks like they had some leftover carpet pad to stuff in the box.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I think a step up is best sound for MC but care must be taken to match to cart well. does this have multi taps on input ?

Reactions: peelaaa

peelaaa

Apr 29, 2021
Hi, If anyone is interested I have a new Koetsu sut for sale. Contact me for details

regards

Ian

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Koetsu Tigereye Diamond still has some property that I prefer, i.e. very sweet midrange. A part from that, Grand Master is way, way better than Koetsu.

Don't believe me, find an opportunity to listen to Grand Master, you will be more than convinced. At first, I didn't believe too, but .....
TLi,
I am looking for a new SUT, and found some impressive models named « Astor ». Do you know (at least by reputation ?) and what is your opinion on them please ?
Thanks
JY

TLi

May 27, 2016
TLi,
I am looking for a new SUT, and found some impressive models named « Astor ». Do you know (at least by reputation ?) and what is your opinion on them please ?
Thanks
JY
I have not heard Astor before. SUT is a mix and match, get it right it sounds great, otherwise it can be a nightmare.

You need to try it before you can make any conclusion.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
TLi thanks for your answer. Astor is is a very little company, and for what I think having understood, they don’t sell much outside Japan. They are a few employees and not organized for selling worldwide.
Their make amps and preamps and step up. Their top models are built to order with at least 3 months wait.
I am tempted to try, because I like to discover (in fact my ego asks for), but it’s an expensive risk to take, because if that doesn’t work much better than my Live Sound Hashimoto HM7… Big money out and no possibility for reselling something nobody (except maybe crazy Japanese audiophiles) will want.

TLi

May 27, 2016
TLi thanks for your answer. Astor is is a very little company, and for what I think having understood, they don’t sell much outside Japan. They are a few employees and not organized for selling worldwide.
Their make amps and preamps and step up. Their top models are built to order with at least 3 months wait.
I am tempted to try, because I like to discover (in fact my ego asks for), but it’s an expensive risk to take, because if that doesn’t work much better than my Live Sound Hashimoto HM7… Big money out and no possibility for reselling something nobody (except maybe crazy Japanese audiophiles) will want.
It is a big gamble that only you can decide whether to play or not. Usually high risk gives high return.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
From what I see online the Astor uses the same Hashimoto iron...although based on pics it would seem the build with solid core wiring is pretty epic. Would be interesting to see how much the build quality and choices bears on the sound with same /similar actual step up transformers...

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Yes it is over 3000€ interesting. The cost of pioneering . I have to think again.
In the same time when you see the horrific prices on Western Electric replica on EBay. I don’t know the intrinsic quality of their transfos in regards ti the HM7, but some of them are over 7000€, and no way to know who assembled them, how they made the soldering, what cables are used… That being said, you see them for years on the Bay, still waiting for a pioneer taking the risk to click on the « buy » option. At least with the Astor, you know what’s in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing