New Koetsu step up transformer

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi everyone

I understand Koetsu recently came out with a new step up transformer. Has anyone heard it and if so what did you think? Which cartridge did you use? Thank you.

Best regards
Scot

Reactions: peelaaa

peelaaa

Apr 29, 2021
Hi everyone

I understand Koetsu recently came out with a new step up transformer. Has anyone heard it and if so what did you think? Which cartridge did you use? Thank you.

Best regards
Scot
Hi,

I recently purchased this and use it with an urushi tsugaru. Its a very understated exterior design but sounds outstanding. I assume its all about the inner design.

regards

Ian

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Ian

Thanks for you reply. Where you using a different SUT before you bought the Koetsu and if so which one? Whose phono stage are you using? Thank you and take care.

Best regards
Scot

TLi

May 27, 2016
I used three generations of Koetsu step up transformers. They have slightly different designs.

The best sound is obtained with the cartridge and SUT in the same era. Try to use a new SUT with old Koetsu cartridge usually does not give good result. The transformers were wired and tuned to suit the carts produced at the time.

The wooden box in the past can actually be removed and played naked. Without the wooden box, the sound is faster and more direct. I tried almost every possible ways to use them. The new metal chassis can also be removed as well. 195140tszzv75zdgg69ndv.jpg 195140fgrcmcug6m9aaauu.jpg 195139wmat22ffp13n5r12.jpg

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi TLi

Thanks for your reply and the wonderful pictures.

The reason I asked if anyone’s heard the new Koetsu sut is because it’s a completely new design by the son Fumihiko. It’s supposed to sound fantastic with the Koetsu cartridges.

In the most recent Stereophile magazine in the Gramophone Dreams section on page 31, Herb Reichert talks about several different sut’s he’s heard and the various core materials they use and how it affects the sound. It’s pretty interesting. One of the ones he listened to is the new Koetsu sut. He felt it sounded significantly better than the other one’s he’s heard, especially with his favorite cartridge, the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. He said that the combination of the RSP & the new sut were a match made in heaven.

He also listened to and really liked the new DS Audio DS003 optical cartridge.

Is there anyone else on this forum who’s had a chance to listen to that DS 003 cartridge yet, or any other optical cartridges in their own systems? If so, I would like to know what you thought. Thank you and take care.

Best regards
Scot

Reactions: peelaaa

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I used three generations of Koetsu step up transformers. They have slightly different designs.

The best sound is obtained with the cartridge and SUT in the same era. Try to use a new SUT with old Koetsu cartridge usually does not give good result. The transformers were wired and tuned to suit the carts produced at the time.

The wooden box in the past can actually be removed and played naked. Without the wooden box, the sound is faster and more direct. I tried almost every possible ways to use them. The new metal chassis can also be removed as well. View attachment 83202 View attachment 83203 View attachment 83204

Do you have experience with any of the Kiseki SUTs?

peelaaa

Apr 29, 2021

The wooden box in the past can actually be removed and played naked. Without the wooden box, the sound is faster and more direct. I tried almost every possible ways to use them. The new metal chassis can also be removed as well. View attachment 83202 View attachment 83203 View attachment 83204
Great pics and information. I have the new sut using with the new urushi tsugaru. Loving the combination at the moment.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Hi TLi

Thanks for your reply and the wonderful pictures.

The reason I asked if anyone’s heard the new Koetsu sut is because it’s a completely new design by the son Fumihiko. It’s supposed to sound fantastic with the Koetsu cartridges.

In the most recent Stereophile magazine in the Gramophone Dreams section on page 31, Herb Reichert talks about several different sut’s he’s heard and the various core materials they use and how it affects the sound. It’s pretty interesting. One of the ones he listened to is the new Koetsu sut. He felt it sounded significantly better than the other one’s he’s heard, especially with his favorite cartridge, the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. He said that the combination of the RSP & the new sut were a match made in heaven.

He also listened to and really liked the new DS Audio DS003 optical cartridge.

Is there anyone else on this forum who’s had a chance to listen to that DS 003 cartridge yet, or any other optical cartridges in their own systems? If so, I would like to know what you thought. Thank you and take care.

Best regards
Vinyl playback is really complicated. Every component in the chain can have significant effect on the sound. Correct matching and tuning is everything.

The use of step up transformer in general boosts dynamics and spectral expansion from top to bottom. It is achieved at the expense of resolution. Some details are loss due to more connection points and energy transfer in the transformers. It is a give and take situation and depends personal preference. I used SUT for quite a long time but now I don't like it. If you have a good phonostage that matches with your cartridge, the sound will be more detailed without SUT.

As for optical cartridge, I think it is the future of vinyl cartridge. It has fundamental physical advantages over MC and MM cartridges, such as light weight of the stylus cantilever assembly and lack of magnetic resistance. It gives optical cartridge higher resolution and better dynamics, particularly in the bass.

My current main listening cartridge is DS Audio Grand Master. It is clearly better than all the other carts that I have. They are Etsuro Gold, Lyra Altas Lambda SL, Koetsu Tigereye Diamond and Otofon MC Century. Once you listened to Grand Master, you can forget about the others. WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 7.32.36 PM.jpeg

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

The wooden box in the past can actually be removed and played naked. Without the wooden box, the sound is faster and more direct. I tried almost every possible ways to use them. The new metal chassis can also be removed as well. View attachment 83202
Vinyl playback is really complicated. Every component in the chain can have significant effect on the sound. Correct matching and tuning is everything.

The use of step up transformer in general boosts dynamics and spectral expansion from top to bottom. It is achieved at the expense of resolution. Some details are loss due to more connection points and energy transfer in the transformers. It is a give and take situation and depends personal preference. I used SUT for quite a long time but now I don't like it. If you have a good phonostage that matches with your cartridge, the sound will be more detailed without SUT.

As for optical cartridge, I think it is the future of vinyl cartridge. It has fundamental physical advantages over MC and MM cartridges, such as light weight of the stylus cantilever assembly and lack of magnetic resistance. It gives optical cartridge higher resolution and better dynamics, particularly in the bass.

My current main listening cartridge is DS Audio Grand Master. It is clearly better than all the other carts that I have. They are Etsuro Gold, Lyra Altas Lambda SL, Koetsu Tigereye Diamond and Otofon MC Century. Once you listened to Grand Master, you can forget about the others. View attachment 83245
Congrats on a beautiful turntable and stunning cartridge.

Reactions: Gardener

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

My current main listening cartridge is DS Audio Grand Master. It is clearly better than all the other carts that I have. They are Etsuro Gold, Lyra Altas Lambda SL, Koetsu Tigereye Diamond and Otofon MC Century. Once you listened to Grand Master, you can forget about the others. View attachment 83245
The ds audio grand master is better than koetsu tiger eye ? How much better?

TLi

May 27, 2016
The ds audio grand master is better than koetsu tiger eye ? How much better?
Koetsu Tigereye Diamond still has some property that I prefer, i.e. very sweet midrange. A part from that, Grand Master is way, way better than Koetsu.

Don't believe me, find an opportunity to listen to Grand Master, you will be more than convinced. At first, I didn't believe too, but .....

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Koetsu Tigereye Diamond still has some property that I prefer, i.e. very sweet midrange. A part from that, Grand Master is way, way better than Koetsu.

Don't believe me, find an opportunity to listen to Grand Master, you will be more than convinced. At first, I didn't believe too, but .....
I love the sound of koetsu but believe you that the grand master is way better.it must be one of the finest available.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

If you have lack of space storing all those nice cartridges, I can help uyou out for free!

• Haha
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Interesting news to me, like to try the new Koetsu Step up, as a brand new tsugaro is on the way :)

found the following technical spec:

Specifications

• Frequency Range: 20Hz – 50KHz
  • Frequency Response: ±3dB
  • Gain: 26dB
  • Open Impedance: 10K ohm or more
  • DC Resistance: Input: 4.5 ohms
  • Output: 132 ohms
  • Insultation Resistance: 100M ohms or more at DC250V
  • Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.51” x 2.83” x 6.10”
  • Weight: 2lbs

koetsu_mc_step_up_transformer_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_ -1.jpg

Currently I am using the Phasemation T-1000 step up with my Koetsu Black Goldline (latest production )
The Phasemation Carts do have very similar coils in the 4 to 5ohm region, so the Phasemation step ups are a good match to Koetsu as well (to my ears) , I tried different step ups before, like Ikeda, Etsuro, Kondo, but they all are the best with their own cartridge designs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing