step up what a beautiful passion

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I lost a potential friend who became a frustrated client. He built a nice room. I designed the electrical and sold him a panel. His vinyl had a AM radio playing though his speakers. He blamed me. though my design was the problem. I showed up at his house with a scope, a Torus RM20 and 2 phono stages. I plugged the Equipment into the Torus. No change. Of course not. Its not on the power line. Its coming in via your vinly. RF meter in the room is very high. I put 2 phono stages in. Both dead quiet. Not a peep. I tell him its his phono stage. I feel I proved it was his phono stage. He would not let me change the cable from arm to phono.
Then he askes me to Deox his silver wires. OMG. Amazing change for the better. They he asks if I expect to be paid, while saying, isn't this warranty work. WHAT. I'm suppose to provide warranty repairs for a phono pre manufacturer. Mind you I drove 4 hours to Portland, spent the nigh and all day at his place. He already had a quote from another guy to do the same for around $3500. I should have asked for minimum $600. I stupidly say how about $200. He tells me to fuck off and give me $100. Then starts shit talking me to a local dealer I know. The dealer tells him he has no idea what he is talking about.
Well, a month later he calls me all excited. He got rid of the crappy phone stage he had and bought a new Zanden and all the noise was gone. Good for him. I got off the phone as quick as I could and never returned his emails.

That whole blablabla came up for 2 points. One. Location location location. Some homes are near high RF. Mine is one of them. I could see the radio towers less than a mile from his house. He had high RF.
Second, many manufacturer do not do what is necessary to mitigate RF from modulating into the power supply of their piece of equipment. They don't because doing so can rob sound. Or so I am told. One of the phono stages I brought to his house was an Allnic. They do a good job. I personally had about 8 phono stages at my house. 4 out of 8 were incredibly noisy. Hum. Some were absolutely dead quiet. For the most part the dead quiet ones were lifeless and the ones that hummed full of life. In the end the Lino walked the line. Very good sound and low noise. I have heard better. But the better in the $7k and under price were full of hum due to the location of my home. One of those noisy units I really liked is via a dealer that is a friend. He does not like to sell the product any more as its hit and miss on where it will work. Some houses dead quiet. Others it hums. So if your SUT is quiet. It may just be your rack is sitting in a low RF area.

Remember RF is a lot different the EMF. RF at my rack is around 1700. In my hallway about 7. It can vary wildly foot to foot in a home.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I lost a potential friend who became a frustrated client. He built a nice room. I designed the electrical and sold him a panel. His vinyl had a AM radio playing though his speakers. He blamed me. though my design was the problem. I showed up at his house with a scope, a Torus RM20 and 2 phono stages. I plugged the Equipment into the Torus. No change. Of course not. Its not on the power line. Its coming in via your vinly. RF meter in the room is very high. I put 2 phono stages in. Both dead quiet. Not a peep. I tell him its his phono stage. I feel I proved it was his phono stage. He would not let me change the cable from arm to phono.
Then he askes me to Deox his silver wires. OMG. Amazing change for the better. They he asks if I expect to be paid, while saying, isn't this warranty work. WHAT. I'm suppose to provide warranty repairs for a phono pre manufacturer. Mind you I drove 4 hours to Portland, spent the nigh and all day at his place. He already had a quote from another guy to do the same for around $3500. I should have asked for minimum $600. I stupidly say how about $200. He tells me to fuck off and give me $100. Then starts shit talking me to a local dealer I know. The dealer tells him he has no idea what he is talking about.
Well, a month later he calls me all excited. He got rid of the crappy phone stage he had and bought a new Zanden and all the noise was gone. Good for him. I got off the phone as quick as I could and never returned his emails.

That whole blablabla came up for 2 points. One. Location location location. Some homes are near high RF. Mine is one of them. I could see the radio towers less than a mile from his house. He had high RF.
Second, many manufacturer do not do what is necessary to mitigate RF from modulating into the power supply of their piece of equipment. They don't because doing so can rob sound. Or so I am told. One of the phono stages I brought to his house was an Allnic. They do a good job. I personally had about 8 phono stages at my house. 4 out of 8 were incredibly noisy. Hum. Some were absolutely dead quiet. For the most part the dead quiet ones were lifeless and the ones that hummed full of life. In the end the Lino walked the line. Very good sound and low noise. I have heard better. But the better in the $7k and under price were full of hum due to the location of my home. One of those noisy units I really liked is via a dealer that is a friend. He does not like to sell the product any more as its hit and miss on where it will work. Some houses dead quiet. Others it hums. So if your SUT is quiet. It may just be your rack is sitting in a low RF area.

Remember RF is a lot different the EMF. RF at my rack is around 1700. In my hallway about 7. It can vary wildly foot to foot in a home.
When I had no hum I lived less than a mile from Sutro Tower in SF. I think it has more to do with the quality of your gear.

IMG_5060.jpeg

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Many, many years ago. I owned. a Fidelity MVT musical preamp coupled to a KRELL KS 50 power amp, a Roxsan xerxes, the rack was positioned in a corner almost in contact with one of the pillars of the building which acted as a perfect antenna. At night while I was sleeping in the darkness of my room I began to hear extremely clear voices. Obviously the first time it happened I jumped out of bed terrified, convinced I had some ghost at home. In the end they were simply the radio amateurs who lived near my house. It took a few minutes to understand that the phone stage of my preamp (the preamp always remained on) was picking up the super amplified frequencies of amateur radio and the powerful transformers of the Krell were maintaining their charge. I just had to move the rack with the system a few metres, moving it away from the pillar that served as an antenna. strangely the pre StepUp pairing didn't produce any hum and to make the Ortofon one play which has an output of 0.12 a lot of gain was needed..In the past, another piece that was very complicated to manage was the Vendetta Research SCP 2A which had two power supplies, one per channel with very long power connection cables that were used to avoid the annoying hum, great phono preamp, with the hum always lurking but he could be told anything except that it was of poor quality

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
My step-up journey started with the EMIA Silver 1:20 step up transformer that I got from Dave. I noticed right away that the soundstage became more 3D and very detailed. One of the best things I like about using step-up's is that there is no hiss during the dead tracks at moderate to higher volumes - dead silence, which I think adds to the overall sound quality. I have had decent phonostages - ARC Ref 2SE and now the Soulnote E2 and if used without the SUT, they do/did produce a hiss at moderate to high listening levels. It cannot be heard from my listening position - but only when near the speakers.

My current best combo is with a Tango Silver 1:26 step up and ZYX Universe II (~ 0.34 mV output) - the Soulnote E2 provide 52 dB for MM. I have not been able to find documentation on the Tango (Vinyl Engine, Google search etc) - only what the seller from Hong Kong was able to provide (basic step up ratio etc). I also have the Mitch Cotter Mk2L, which is also very good, but lacking in documentation. I have read in different forums that the ratio is 1:70, but have not been able to confirm.

Personally, I do not think that it is possible to get the sound quality that I am getting with the SUT combo from just a phonostage without spending bookhu bucks. So I will continue to use the step-up transformer with low impedance cartridges. I do however, have a new Soundsmith Hyperion Mk 2 ES that I plan to test soon with a SUT - although slightly higher in impedance (~ 10 ohms), we'll see how it goes.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
When I had no hum I lived less than a mile from Sutro Tower in SF. I think it has more to do with the quality of your gear.

View attachment 123429
I agree. But RF is a odd phenomenon. You could be so close to the tower with the tower aiming at something in the distance that the signal passes cleanly over you. Or the wave just happens to populate in a spot in your home. Like I said, my rack with everything turned off reads around 1700. Walk 20 feet into the entry and its like 7.

One of the preamps I liked was MM only. I used my Bobs device on it. I could not shut the hum down. I never tried building a Faraday cage from copper RF fabric. That might be an option. Never tried. The company that sells the stuff has case locations where the enclose rooms with paint, fabric and foils. They can almost completely damp RF. Your looking at a solid $15k to $20k for all the materials and grounding cables. I think you could build a enclosed shield around a shelf on a rack. Its about $20 a square foot for good copper screen. Maybe $500 in materials. Heck, tie the cage to your Entreq ground box. Who knows.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Good morning, after having kept the Allnic Sut 8000 step up working for a few days, it has now been connected for 5 days, I can express a broader opinion also thanks to the help of my usual group of Palermo audiophiles who brought me home some sut considered absolute references including the Phasemation – T1000 MC, the audio note sfz and the music first MC StepUp V2, alternating as Emt jsd 6 platinum, Ortofon mc 95 and benz lps carriages, all the cartridges were inserted on the Dinavector 507 arm mk2, using the Audioquest wel signature and wild phono cable between step up and Allnic h7000 phono. obviously there is no absolute winner also because by varying the carts we obtained better results with the audio notes, in particular with the Ortofon but always very close and almost always dictated by personal tastes. But the thing that everyone recognized was the ease of interfacing with the allnic which allows you to couple practically almost all the carts having a notable combination between the various ratios and the input resistors while with the others we often had to use Y-shaped RCAs to couple the resistors (an almost complete set of shinkoh) correct and reach the desired load. what emerged from allnic is the absolute lack of grain and above all the ability not to influence the sound of the various cartridges present in the test, allowing the character of each of them to emerge, a huge step up but attention to the test was used the allnic h 7000 Phono preamp therefore with a probable greater affinity than the others. everything expected from a step up, combined dynamics not absolute relaxation and elegance, wide and deep scene, great detail came out of this test. we didn't have the chance to try these step ups even with the other head in my possession, the air tight pc 1 due to lack of time since it wasn't already mounted on a Shell. my friend who owns the audio note promised me next week to bring his precious step up back to my house. In order to make a comparison between the allnic and sfz with this trolley which in my opinion needs great care to bring out its potential is worth a less than harmonious sound. I forgot to mention that we didn't have any humming problems

Reactions: Tangram

Emilzebira

Dec 9, 2023
Italy
could you kindly tell us the sonic difference between precious one and Misho Myronov's wooden phono, I'm very interested, thank you very much

I have two phono stages- RADA Precious one and Misho Myronov “Wooden RIAA”- both are MM only, single input.
SUT is Ypsilon MC-10L
The only potential problem with SUTs is induced hum, placement can get complicated, as well as the TT- tonearm grounding configuration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing