step up what a beautiful passion

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
which ones are indispensable for you. Considering from my point of view that a step-up well coupled to your mc cartridges, based on my experience, is probably superior to the step-ups integrated inside the Phono preamps (I own the allnic h 7000)
In n this case It is not a waste buy both MM and MC Phono preamps?.
Considering this perspective, what are the best phono preamps on the market with MM input only?

Reactions: Johan K and mtemur

JRW1971

Dec 21, 2021
Ypsilon

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I've done a bit of digging on this recently and found that phono preamps with more than one MM input aren't that common. However, I recently purchased a Luxman EQ-500 that has three phono inputs that are configurable as MC or MM. My plan is to use them as MM and connect SUTs. Currently I have an Allnic AUT-2000 inputting into the EQ-500, but I am considering another tonearm, in which case I'll use the second input as a MM and connect another SUT.

Reactions: Johan K

JRW1971

Dec 21, 2021
Nagra classic phono has one MM and one MC, but you can have the MC reconfigured to MM, for a total of two MMs. That said, I've had better luck with the SUT that is already onboard with the Nagra. (Similar story with CS Port). Frankly, eliminating the cabling between SUT and p-stage is not a trivial consideration. That short stretch of cable can be a real factor.

JRW1971

Dec 21, 2021
View attachment 123074 bellissimo questo è mio
Yeah, those are nice. I own one. I was referring to their phonostage, though. Also, if you run a Lyra Lambda model cart, consider the Lyra Erodion EVO, newly available in the US. It's excellent with Lambda Lyras. (No affiliation)

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
I've done a bit of digging on this recently and found that phono preamps with more than one MM input aren't that common. However, I recently purchased a Luxman EQ-500 that has three phono inputs that are configurable as MC or MM. My plan is to use them as MM and connect SUTs. Currently I have an Allnic AUT-2000 inputting into the EQ-500, but I am considering another tonearm, in which case I'll use the second input as a MM and connect another SUT.
my reflection on Phono preamplifiers and step ups concerns this topic: if I buy a complete Phono amplifier, that is, with both MM and MC inputs, in the case of my allnic I spend around 18,000/19,000 dollars (this is the price list in Italy and in most of Europe and I believe also in the USA) and I can safely assume that 25% of this sum affects the MC entry. if I only use the MM input together with specific step ups for the various cartridges, in reality I have wasted around $5000, considering the fact that the majority of phono stage manufacturers sell almost exclusively products that have the possibility of selecting both MM and MC and that the same producers sell separately both active and passive Step Ups like my beloved Allnic or Phasemation to name two, but there are many others, why don't they offer us a better MM phono stage quality by being able to reinvest that 25% destined for MC. I can understand a commercial policy where all in one makes the product more attractive, but I know many enthusiasts who after trying the Step Ups can no longer do without them, in the same way reading this beautiful forum I realize that analogue enthusiasts who undertake this road are many. Going back to the legendary step ups I want to point out the Bent tx 103, the Kiseki (if anyone wants to get rid of an MCT2 I'll give you a shout), the Kondo Sfz, Audio note AN 7 and why not even some Ortofon. To also stimulate the various digital lovers I will also mention the step up previously produced by Lampizator which I have been told great things about but which I have never had the opportunity to listen to. also in your case, as regards the luxman, you are using a product that has a function that you replicate using external Step ups which certainly give you greater listening satisfaction.

Reactions: richardk

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Nagra classic phono has one MM and one MC, but you can have the MC reconfigured to MM, for a total of two MMs. That said, I've had better luck with the SUT that is already onboard with the Nagra. (Similar story with CS Port). Frankly, eliminating the cabling between SUT and p-stage is not a trivial consideration. That short stretch of cable can be a real factor.
Yes, indeed Ypsilon It is one of the few. builders Who produces! an exclusively MM Phono stage. As far as my experience goes from the Ear 88 to the legendary Vendetta, to the Rhea aesthetix, to the Mark Levinson 25, to the Bat Vk p 10 se, to the Aestetix io signature up to today Allnic, (not to mention preamps complete with phono stage like Mark Levinson 26) however good they were when I got the Step Up right. In most cases there was no problem.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
which ones are indispensable for you. Considering from my point of view that a step-up well coupled to your mc cartridges, based on my experience, is probably superior to the step-ups integrated inside the Phono preamps (I own the allnic h 7000)
In n this case It is not a waste buy both MM and MC Phono preamps?.
Considering this perspective, what are the best phono preamps on the market with MM input only?
I have two phono stages- RADA Precious one and Misho Myronov “Wooden RIAA”- both are MM only, single input.
SUT is Ypsilon MC-10L
The only potential problem with SUTs is induced hum, placement can get complicated, as well as the TT- tonearm grounding configuration.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
And SUT require an additional expensive cable that is highly reactive to induced noise and RF. I have to wrap the cable from my SUT to phono pre with 2 layers of mylar and drain it with 22 awg silver wire. This is a shielded cable from a very well respected cable maker. I got sick of all that fuss and bought a Lino Channel D 3.3. Could not be happier. If you don't feel that is expensive enough for your taste, there are other manufacturers making the same type technolgy for a lot more money. I think Ypsilon is one.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
And SUT require an additional expensive cable that is highly reactive to induced noise and RF. I have to wrap the cable from my SUT to phono pre with 2 layers of mylar and drain it with 22 awg silver wire. This is a shielded cable from a very well respected cable maker. I got sick of all that fuss and bought a Lino Channel D 3.3. Could not be happier. If you don't feel that is expensive enough for your taste, there are other manufacturers making the same type technolgy for a lot more money. I think Ypsilon is one.
this passion of ours has a great secret which is contained in a group of words which in the end are consequential to each other, patience, perseverance. (sorry I forgot the two most important words: money and ear) the problem of hum between phono stages and sut is something that most of us have had to deal with, as I was telling you with a good dose of perseverance and patience you can solve it and to eliminate the annoying buzz. I understand well that starting to shuffle our devices to find the right position is often a tiring exercise... but think about how much gym you save... as far as the extra cable for the sut is concerned, you can find some excellent deals at bargain prices like I have I found a nice 50 cm kimber cable in silver for only 300 euros... speaking of sut. the allnic 8000 promises well

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Current mode phono preamps are problematic for audiophiles because they are easy to set up, easy to use, work best with low output moving coils, and are available at reasonable prices.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
this passion of ours has a great secret which is contained in a group of words which in the end are consequential to each other, patience, perseverance. (sorry I forgot the two most important words: money and ear) the problem of hum between phono stages and sut is something that most of us have had to deal with, as I was telling you with a good dose of perseverance and patience you can solve it and to eliminate the annoying buzz. I understand well that starting to shuffle our devices to find the right position is often a tiring exercise... but think about how much gym you save... as far as the extra cable for the sut is concerned, you can find some excellent deals at bargain prices like I have I found a nice 50 cm kimber cable in silver for only 300 euros... speaking of sut. the allnic 8000 promises well
My Bobs Device ended up mounted to the side of my rack via a bunch of rubber bands. I had to wave it around in the air listening for the qhiet spot.

The problem with SUT is RF. Its pervasive and getting worse. Its particularly impactful to vinyl where it modulates into the power supply and induces a hum. Ground boxes don't drain it. You have to either shield in a Faraday cage or build a power supply that rejects noise. Both have their own set of issues.

Digital expresses RF different. Its not a hum. I believe but am not fully sure its expressed more as losses. Loss of clarity. Loss of bass. Loss of dynamics. Its probably a large reason why digital naysayers believe vinyl is superior. They put digital in their house and don't bear those losses as a easy to recognize hum. They just hear liw quality playback and blame digital. Not the reactive environment the devices were placed in.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Switched from Allnic 7000 to Kondo GE-10i and Kondo SUT.
good choice you went from a Porsche 718 boxster to a 911 gt
My Bobs Device ended up mounted to the side of my rack via a bunch of rubber bands. I had to wave it around in the air listening for the qhiet spot.

The problem with SUT is RF. Its pervasive and getting worse. Its particularly impactful to vinyl where it modulates into the power supply and induces a hum. Ground boxes don't drain it. You have to either shield in a Faraday cage or build a power supply that rejects noise. Both have their own set of issues.

Digital expresses RF different. Its not a hum. I believe but am not fully sure its expressed more as losses. Loss of clarity. Loss of bass. Loss of dynamics. Its probably a large reason why digital naysayers believe vinyl is superior. They put digital in their house and don't bear those losses as a easy to recognize hum. They just hear liw quality playback and blame digital. Not the reactive environment the devices were placed in.
Sometimes the buzz with the step ups is a nightmare that is difficult to wake up from. The Ypsilon MC step up is built like a battleship, wherever you place it it is absolutely silent, the bent tx 103 are a real pain in the ass and since the connection cable to the Phono is integrated and very short you struggle a lot to find a position where you don't have hum, the allnic 8000 and the kiseki mct 2 are much easier to handle but want more attention. Next month Emanuele Bassetti, Italian importer of Allnic, will receive the h 8000 and we could do a direct test, he claims that the 7000 with the step Up aut 8000 is very close to the flagship.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have several phono stages among others the Allnic H3000V (the predecessor of the H7000) with built in SUT. A good external SUT is better than the Allnic's internal SUT. Hence I am not using the internal SUT of my H3000V anymore. The best of both worlds is the Phasemation EA-2000 which comes with external double mono SUTs.

Reactions: richardk

djsina2

May 30, 2019

Digital expresses RF different. Its not a hum. I believe but am not fully sure its expressed more as losses. Loss of clarity. Loss of bass. Loss of dynamics. Its probably a large reason why digital naysayers believe vinyl is superior. They put digital in their house and don't bear those losses as an easy to recognize hum. They just hear liw quality playback and blame digital. Not the reactive environment the devices were placed in.
Never once had noise issues with the 5-6 SUTs I used. Did nothing special. Set it on the rack with a standard .5m cable.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Never once had noise issues with the 5-6 SUTs I used. Did nothing special. Set it on the rack with a standard .5m cable.
I have just one SUT, an Allnic. When I bought it my dealer warned me not to use a regular interconnect. He was quite firm that a second phono cable was required. I did this, plopped it on a vacant rack shelf, kept the cables away from power cords, and have had zero issues. In fact, I continue to be surprised by how quiet my all-tube setup (amp, preamp, phono preamp) is. Maybe I just got lucky. It may help that my system is in the basement. Also, people sometimes forget about where electrical wiring runs through their walls because it’s out of sight.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing