New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I finished Hang Time, Elgin Baylor's new book.

It was quite well done. He described his early years in Washington, D.C., his college years in Idaho and Seattle and - the book's real focus - his NBA career with the Lakers.

I wasn't all that familiar with his NBA career, especially at the height of his playing days in the 60's, so it was interesting to read just how good he really was. No doubt his biggest disappointment as a player was never beating the Celtics for the NBA championship.

He also described the social issues he encountered and how the civil rights movement affected him during the 50's and 60's.

I was hoping he would tell more about his 22 years as the General Manager of the Clippers but he devoted only a few pages to that topic - and after he shared his feelings, understandably so. Suffice it to say he was not a fan of Donald Sterling.

Elgin was particularly happy when his statue was unveiled recently at Staples Center, an honor he well deserved.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I finished Hang Time, Elgin Baylor's new book.

It was quite well done. He described his early years in Washington, D.C., his college years in Idaho and Seattle and - the book's real focus - his NBA career with the Lakers.

I wasn't all that familiar with his NBA career, especially at the height of his playing days in the 60's, so it was interesting to read just how good he really was. No doubt his biggest disappointment as a player was never beating the Celtics for the NBA championship.

He also described the social issues he encountered and how the civil rights movement affected him during the 50's and 60's.

I was hoping he would tell more about his 22 years as the General Manager of the Clippers but he devoted only a few pages to that topic - and after he shared his feelings, understandably so. Suffice it to say he was not a fan of Donald Sterling.

Elgin was particularly happy when his statue was unveiled recently at Staples Center, an honor he well deserved.

Interesting, Elgin was before my time and I read before about his losses to the Celtics but I think the sad part was that he retired a year before the Lakers finally won a title during that era, if I'm not mistaken.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Pelicans surprised the Warriors with a huge 19 points victory of the Warriors. You don't see that often and one big stat that came out was the 21 assists of Rondo, who suddenly has become his playoff and championship self again, also brought down 10 rebounds. AD has 33, and it seems they do not even need Cousins at all.

Rockets shot back and shot back quick and big, bringing down Utah in a cut throat fashion very early in the game. I guess D'Antoni's call was to shoot them out. :D

Tomorrow the C's are 9-point underdogs against the Sixers. I don't know if they have any gas left on them after those 2 wins.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Interesting, Elgin was before my time and I read before about his losses to the Celtics but I think the sad part was that he retired a year before the Lakers finally won a title during that era, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, they did win the championship the year after Elgin retired. That team had Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain. Elgin and Jerry were good friends. Wilt, not so much.

Ironically, Elgin and Bill Russell had a good relationship - off the court. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good Sunday morning to watch the Celtics beat the Sixers for a 3-0 against all odds. OT. Confetti was raining down at the end of regulation bec the fans thought Bellineli hit a 3 but was just a 2 to send the game to OT. What a gritty play for Al down the end of the game. And a steal off Embiid by Al, who suddenly is THE LEADER. And how bout Tatum, with 5 straight 20+ ppg, beating the Celtics rookie record of Larry Bird. I can't believe the C's are still in it after all the injuries. I gotta start practice screaming 'Alhorford stole the ball'. :D

And Al blocked Embiid TWICE???!!! Wow. I'm a believer.

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
That was quite a game! Celtics played well in crunch time.

76ers youth showed. Stephan A Smith blamed poor coaching by Brett Brown.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That was quite a game! Celtics played well in crunch time.

76ers youth showed. Stephan A Smith blamed poor coaching by Brett Brown.

Yes I saw Smith saying that. And why isn't No.1 pick Fultz in the games AT ALL? The guy whom they moved up at 3 to take at 1, sitting on the bench?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How about them Lakers? It will be interesting to see who will come out better next year, Fultz or Ball. Tatum and Mitchell surely are many steps ahead at this point.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Watching cavs destroy the Raptors makes a Cektics Cavs showdown. LeBron has literally carried the team through both series. My big concern was 2 weeks ago I thought Cavs were going down at the hands of the Pacers.

Now I’m wondering if the Celtics can beat the Cavs in the conference finals

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Honestly, before the Sixers Celtics series started, I felt like I would rather have the Sixers with a full and healthy lineup meet Cleveland for better odds to beat the Cavs. I am pleasantly surprised at what this gang of players in green have done and what magic Coach Stevens has done thus far. That ATO play call for Morris to lob it to Horford was a play marked with genius all over it as Al himself said later after the game. I have harped so much about why the C's player development staff has not produced a Kawhi Leonard-like player in recent years and now I am actually watching it grow in front on me, Tatum and Brown and Rozier.

And this 3-0 lead over the Sixers is a silver lining of sorts from the disappointing injuries to Kyrie and Hayward. I was prepared for a loss to the Bucks but the C's prevailed, and now they are in good position to be in the EF, presumably vs the Cavs. The first thing that comes to anyone's mind is who will guard LeBron, and since we lost Crowder, the only man I can think of will be Morris, and then help from Brown or the rookie Oyjele. They need to double team him quick and rotate. I cannot honestly think they will prevail in a 7 game series right now, but it is a very inspired and hard working team. I am just happy to be a fan, win or lose, we have a good future ahead, hopefully, no more injuries.

PS: At the back of my mind there is some small light that tells me the C's can try to do what the Pacers did, which is to push the Cavs to game 7 and have a little chance to pull it through. Mandatory, it goes without saying, for the C's to win the first 2 games at home, with the crowd as a third force. :)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I sure hope you’re right Phil because right now the way lebron is playing he is unstoppable

I also hear lebron is the number one choice to join the Lakers. I can’t believe magic would trade Ingram and Kuzma for James

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I sure hope you’re right Phil because right now the way lebron is playing he is unstoppable

I also hear lebron is the number one choice to join the Lakers. I can’t believe magic would trade Ingram and Kuzma for James

I hope so too, Steve. To add, Kevin Love suddenly has found his old 'Minnesota self', after news came out a few days before the series wondering where is the Minnesota Love. :D

News of LeBron going to the Lakers keep comng out, and two days ago Shaq boldly predicted that LeBron and PG will be Lakers this July. And I've read that they have started calling James - LAbron. :D If that happens, expect Father Ball to voice out how his son will not like being a 2-guard since LAbron wants to be the PG. :D

Steve Williams

I hope so too, Steve. To add, Kevin Love suddenly has found his old 'Minnesota self', after news came out a few days before the series wondering where is the Minnesota Love. :D

News of LeBron going to the Lakers keep comng out, and two days ago Shaq boldly predicted that LeBron and PG will be Lakers this July. And I've read that they have started calling James - LAbron. :D If that happens, expect Father Ball to voice out how his son will not like being a 2-guard since LAbron wants to be the PG. :D

you're killing me with this news Phil

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like Steve Ballmer is going to give Doc Rivers a new contract as head coach of the Clippers - at least that's what Bill Plaschke wrote in the LA Times yesterday.

Plaschke isn't one to look favorably upon the Clippers typically but this column was quite complimentary towards both Doc Rivers and Steve Ballmer.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-rivers-plaschke-20180505-story.html

Hope Doc gets to change his style if he continues with the Clippers. He has a lot of young new players who did well despite not being 'brand names' last season. Ane Free Agency can help him too.

Steve Williams

Watching the conference semifinals over the weekend i had this horrible but not unrealistic thought

Has anyone considered the NBA playoffs will be between Houston and Cavs

I am wondering if the Warriors can beat the Rockets even with a health Curry in the western finals

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing