The most luxurious - and best ? - vinyl piano LP of the last 50 years ?... Marcelle Meyer / Debussy album first release 2019

Abendroth111

Apr 26, 2022
hello everybody,

I have recently purchased that fabulous piano LP album of Marcelle Meyer playing Debussy complete Preludes + Images...
Do you know it ? It was a world LP premiere in 2019, the French Record Company issuing a title that should have been published in 1958, but for some reasons had finally been deleted.

It's phenomenal, both in term of music, performance, PRESSING, FULL ANALOG DIRECT CUTTING ( with high end vintage equipments, such as Fairchild, Pultec, Neuman...) , and manufacturing: amazingly luxurious french crafymanship: the publisher has re-created the luxury of these superb old Les Discophiles Français canvas albums with gold letterings ! An artwork !
You feel the energy of the pianist just in your room, it's about music, not about "sound".

I want to share here some of the critics that edition received, it deserves it.....2 very interesting video channels:
-
- " comparing the 2 most expensing classical records in the world " ( 2021 ) :
- Analog planet, Michael Fremer:
Marcelle Meyer's origi. LP on Les Discophiles Français are highly sought after, very rare, as the french publisher didn't pressed his records in large quantitys.
The price of the album is a " Rolls Royce" price, but franlky it deserves it, as it's not a " facsimile" re issue like so many others. And it's a limited edition, 200 copies.

For those among you who have high end audio equipments, 100.000$ speakers, 50.000$ amp, it's the opportunity to "make them song" with such a publication !

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_1405378.jpg
    IMG_20200823_1405378.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200823_1406343.jpg
    IMG_20200823_1406343.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • album 3 .jpg
    album 3 .jpg
    362 KB · Views: 10
  • album 5 .jpg
    album 5 .jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: mtemur

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Thanks for bringing her to our attention.
I’ve been streaming her from Qobuz for the last few hours. She really is a wonderful interpreter of DeBussy. Also Chabrier …

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Looks like 600 Euro according to the websit.

Abendroth111

Apr 26, 2022
Yes she's wonderful, especially when she plays the French composers Ravel, Rameau, Couperin, Debussy, Chabrier... = the "roots" of french music up to the XX° century.

Abendroth111

Apr 26, 2022
Looks like 600 Euro according to the websit.
yes price is 600 € ; frankly according to the quality of an " oeuvre d'Art Totale" ( recording, sleeve, composer ), and regarding the price of so many other less interesting classical records ( just "audiohiles...), I think it's fair
It's also like an investment.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]

Seems wonderful.
(but: "the publisher strongly recommends a mono cartridge, with a tracking force of approx. 2 – 2,5 g." < Mono&Stereo)

Engineered by: André Charlin !! (1903 - 1983)
Mixed by: André Charlin !!

From Wikipedia:
Charlin (20 March 1903 – 28 November 1983) was a French audio engineer and entrepreneur. He was a prolific inventor and filed many patents for radio amplifiers, movie sound recording equipment, and music recording. He founded and operated companies to make his equipment and to make the recordings.
[...]
In 1963–64 Charlin patented the Tete Charlin, a dummy head for commercial stereophonic records with two high-quality microphones from the Schoeps company. The term "dummy head" refers to the device's vague resemblance to a human head.[6] During his career Charlin filed at least 80 patents and received 118 Grand Prix du Disque.[7] Charlin died in Paris on 28 November 1983.[8]

Marcelle Meyer is a wonderful interpret.
I also like very much Walter Gieseking and Zoltán Kocsis (Suite Bergamasque, Philips)

Last edited:

Abendroth111

Apr 26, 2022
it IS wonderful !
The records play perfectly in mono, but also perfect in stereo ( I have tested both ). I think the publisher mentioned mono for purists...

Gieseking is very good indeed, but I think too much "watercolor" !!...he is too much in "impressionism", when Marcelle Meyer project much
more than that...

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Glenn Armstrong of Coup d'Archet released three series of limited edition LPs in the early 2000s, and series II featured Marcelle Meyer playing Mozart. The other recordings are all wonderful in these three series. I subscribed to all of them. You might be able to find them on the secondary market. It took a while for these to sell out originally, like months instead of hours as in the case of ERC ! https://www.coupdarchet.com/l-archet-d-or.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing