Negative show report posts... enough is enough.

No, Peter, instead of 'enough is enough', finally there is some honesty in the business. And I would assume that many reviewers of the magazines who finally, finally dare to criticize anything have taken the effort to actually sit in the sweet spot. And if it doesn't sound good at least there, there is no excuse. If you can't get it to work, then please exhibit with a silent exhibition.

I agree 100%..especially when expensive gears sound terrible !! it's about time we tell the truth and not sugar coat everything. Peter I like your videos .you seems like a nice person but do understand that they're a lot of snake oil and pseudo-science in our hobby.

Do you really need to ask? Peter is the wheat, we are the chaff. The pure arrogance is astounding. I could say more but I'll leave it at that.

Eight pages in one day. I'd say people are interested in this topic. It hints at the gulf between the customers and the industry and why attitudes must change if the high end is to grow and move forward. The professionals often seem arrogant and detached from the customer, so the customer increasingly turns to forums to research, buy and learn how to set up his system.

Well said.

Apparently the self-proclaimed 'professionals' and 'experts' feel threatened by this thread. We should not let it die.

Peter, I'm not sure I understand the assertion. I read a show report today from the latest tas and there was negativity, but they always seemed to understand that the hotel rooms couldn't be overcome. This was made clear. Also, the point has been made that those of us who have been around a while already know that a show is definitely not the best environment for sound quality. Hell, even if the rooms were more conducive to good sound, the ancillary noise and chatter chatter guarantee that! What and where specifically were the negative posts regarding various rooms' sound that set you off? Myself, owning Wilson's ignore all the criticisms levied against the brand, as I guess I have thick skin when it comes to negativity against something I hold dear, as long as it isn't personal or against a person.

I totally disagree...

We are separating the wheat from the chaff, those with the knowledge and those with an opinion. There is a big difference. Amir, you know this. You have the knowledge.

..I've seen Peter B's video regarding the Synergistic Research sweet tart doodads...feel free to put me in the chaff column

Wow. First we're called cowards. Then we're called chaff. Maybe I just should have stayed in bed today.

Maybe we need to go to the school where they teach people to be expert audio evaluation personnel. Oh wait, there aren't any. Oh well. I am having some audio chaff t shirts printed up!

I totally disagree...

We are separating the wheat from the chaff, those with the knowledge and those with an opinion. There is a big difference. Amir, you know this. You have the knowledge.

Do you need to go there? So your reviews are based on facts, provable demosntratable, measurables, repeatable facts? They are not your opinion? of those gears? Some of them fail Titanically when confronted to any objective facts (Synegistics thingies for example)...
Ad hominem will not make your points... The premises were already too weak.

Guys

yes a good debate but understand that as always there are both sides. I think Amir wanted to let it die because suddenly there was some name calling,

Always challenge the post not the poster and if you can keep personalities out of it I feel it is a good debate and let's keep it open.

Do you need to go there? So your reviews are based on facts, provable demosntratable, measurables, repeatable facts? They are not your opinion? of those gears? Some of them fail Titanically when confronted to any objective facts (Synegistics thingies for example)...
Ad hominem will not make your points... The premises were already too weak.

To paraphrase the book Animal Farm, all opinions in audio are equal. It is just that some are more equal than others.

Unless I'd played with the same material on all rooms, I wouldn't state anything, be the best or worst sounding room.

Unless I'd heard a certain product in my room with side by side comparison, I would rather not to be the Almighty, especially on the public places.

Unless I'd played with the same material on all rooms, I wouldn't state anything, be the best or worst sounding room.

Unless I'd heard a certain product in my room with side by side comparison, I would rather not to be the Almighty, especially on the public places.

I have brought the same material to all the shows I attend for years. It is getting harder and harder to get your own stuff played. I always thank the manfacturers that let me play my CDs, even I am not impressed with the sound of the room.

O No different than auditioning 6 pairs of headphones, all with the same music and same amplifier, there are winners and losers, as far as my ear/brain interface goes.

Yes, but with headphones you don't have to deal with problematic room acoustics. Having said that, there is little excuse for a system in one hotel room to sound bad if the system in the next room sounds good. As Peter A. stated, he is tired of the excuses in this industry. So am I. You seem to be as well.

Guys

yes a good debate but understand that as always there are both sides. I think Amir wanted to let it die because suddenly there was some name calling,

Always challenge the post not the poster and if you can keep personalities out of it I feel it is a good debate and let's keep it open.
Exactly right. What folks wanted to tell each other they have told already and multiple times. If there is something new to be discussed, then do it. But don't keep going after each other. That is not what we do on WBF. Think before hitting the post button whether something educational or constructive comes out of it.

As for my personal opinion, I expressed it on the first page:

I thought this was the reality of such shows. One person says such and such is the best room they have heard. And another would say that is the worst room they have heard.

Is it that there are far more negative remarks this go around than last? I have not seen that here as there has been a bunch of positive remarks about a number of rooms/systems.

Let me tell you the #1 reason I go to shows. It is to get the inside scoop. The chance to talk to an equipment designer. To peak inside an open case. To hear people chatting with each other about this and other rooms. The beauty of the equipment and design is also a hallmark or high-end and I cherish that both as an engineer and someone who enjoys the art and good industrial design.

It is a chance to see 100X more equipment than you could ever without going to a show. This is critical in high-end market that is so fragmented.

It is also to meet with friends and colleagues. And oh, to also come and share all of that here among my peers with similar interest.

That there is often music playing that sounds good, adds icing on the cake and creates a wonderful mood. In that regard, nothing about that experience being reported as bad should create angst.

Well I frankly never expected a "knickers in a twist" thread on one of the smoothest Purest Sites around--but I suppose fair enough Peter A has respectfully made valid point--lots of negativity around the forums on shows--agro too!

Unfortunately human nature is what it is and the animal in us will rear when the mood takes--

or the sound annoys

Good try Peter but to no avail I'm afraid--blokes will be blokes:p

Roger that

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu