My Rockport Saga

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was told the NHB-108 didn't do well with 4ohm loads. Maybe the amp was the problem?

John, you have my curiosity piqued. As you know I have Sashas at my home and a Rockport dealer fairly close by... hmm.

NHB-108 and 4ohm loads is a bone of contention i recall. I have been told by Dartzeel dealer it does not handle those loads well...and many here will confirm (and also strongly refute) that advice i received. Your Sashas are also, i think?, one of the toughest loads in the Wilson family with an infamous dip to sub 2ohms somewhere in the upper bass if i am not mistaken?

As for Rockport...would that be Goodwins High end in Waltham? I have not seen Paul in 20 years, but remember him from the '90s when he was at a different place in Cambridge selling SF, Thiel and Krell. Great guy. I've spoken with him a little while ago, and hope to see him this summer when we visit Boston.

Please let me know what you think of Rockport if you do hear them.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It all depends what do you mean by 4 Ohm speaker. Sasha is a 4 Ohm speaker, but dips to 1.8 Ohm in the bass. This is definately too tough of a load for darTZeel, as I could check in my system.

However, there are plenty of 4 Ohm speakers that do not dip below 3 Ohms heavily, and those speakers the darTzeel will drive with aplomb.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I was told the NHB-108 didn't do well with 4ohm loads. Maybe the amp was the problem?

John, you have my curiosity piqued. As you know I have Sashas at my home and a Rockport dealer fairly close by... hmm.

It's worth a drive to the Rockport Dealer. Again, I love my Wilsons...had 4 different models...the Rockports are special imho...

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Elberoth:

The Altair and Arrakis cabinets are constructed from a composite based material. The rest of the line is MDF. All of Andy's speakers are hernia inducing. I have the Aquila and they weigh 300 lbs each.

Ken

As far as I know the Arrakis baffle is made from carbonfiber, and the Altiar baffle from glassfiber.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Early NHB-108's had problems driving tough loads - I gave up on it many years ago. However, some time later they upgraded the protection system and now it is my experience that a three years old NHB108 drives the Aida's (also a difficult load) with ease.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As far as I know the Arrakis baffle is made from carbonfiber, and the Altiar baffle from glassfiber.

Yes, i have read an article which said exactly this...i think it was Ultraaudio trip to Rockport's facilities in Maine, USA.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes, i have read an article which said exactly this...i think it was Ultraaudio trip to Rockport's facilities in Maine, USA.

I agree here...a friend in Austin has the Arrakis...they are clearly carbon fiber....when I visted the Rockport facility last fall...they showed me a cut away piece of the Altair 2...it was a glass fiber shell filled with some sort of damping compound (a lot of it). Look here http://rockporttechnologies.com/#/enclosures/ then 2nd tab on the right...

Attachments

• rockport.jpg
    rockport.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 696

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree here...a friend in Austin has the Arrakis...they are clearly carbon fiber....when I visted the Rockport facility last fall...they showed me a cut away piece of the Altair 2...it was a glass fiber shell filled with some sort of damping compound (a lot of it). Look here http://rockporttechnologies.com/#/enclosures/ then 2nd tab on the right...

Cool shot! Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing